Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Rusney Castillo - Cuban outfielder

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Rusney Castillo - Cuban outfielder

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:25 pm

From Rotoworld.com:

"CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Rangers, Astros, Cubs, Braves, Giants, White Sox, Orioles and Marlins are among the teams that will be at Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo workout on Saturday. Heyman says there is a "fair amount of excitement over the showcase" for a player he's been told is like "Brett Gardner with power." Castillo, 27, could conceivably be ready to play in the majors during the second half, though it will be a while before we know whether that's a realistic expectation."

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Rusney Castillo - Cuban outfielder

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:13 pm

More from Rotoworld.com:

"MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reports that Cuban prospect Rusney Castillo will work out at shortstop in addition to center field during his showcase Saturday. Castillo is generally viewed as an outfielder, but he played some in the infield in Cuba and will apparently try to show teams Saturday that he's capable of being used there in the majors. The 27-year-old is generating plenty of buzz with his terrific speed and occasional pop. Sanchez lists the Cubs, White Sox, Braves and Giants among the teams that have expressed interest in Castillo, but every club is expected to be represented on Saturday."

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:59 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:From Rotoworld.com:

"CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Rangers, Astros, Cubs, Braves, Giants, White Sox, Orioles and Marlins are among the teams that will be at Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo workout on Saturday. Heyman says there is a "fair amount of excitement over the showcase" for a player he's been told is like "Brett Gardner with power." Castillo, 27, could conceivably be ready to play in the majors during the second half, though it will be a while before we know whether that's a realistic expectation."

Brett Gardner with power. Wouldn't that make him Jacoby Elsbury? Might look good in LF for the long term, I would like to see the Sox sign him.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:43 pm

winstonage wrote:

Brett Gardner with power. Wouldn't that make him Jacoby Elsbury? Might look good in LF for the long term, I would like to see the Sox sign him.

I was thinking that he might be like Carl Crawford back in his prime with the Rays.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:47 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    winstonage wrote:

I was thinking that he might be like Carl Crawford back in his prime with the Rays.
    If THAT's the case, I want 35th and Shields to become "Little Cuba"!!
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:32 pm

YAWN!!!!

Tell me all about this rafter when the Sox sign him.  Until that moment, WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND GIVES A FUCK???

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:35 pm

This section is about rumors.  If you don't like rumors, skip it.

Reinsdorf scored a big win with Jose Abreu.  Thus it wouldn't be surprising to see him go after another highly rated Cuban rafter.

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:59 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:This section is about rumors.  If you don't like rumors, skip it.

Reinsdorf scored a big win with Jose Abreu.  Thus it wouldn't be surprising to see him go after another highly rated Cuban rafter.

With Hahn he is going top shelf with Cubans. No more Viciedo's or even Alexi, who if I remember correctly, the Sox were the only team to make him an offer.

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:11 pm

With Hahn he is going top shelf with Cubans. No more Viciedo's or even Alexi, who if I remember correctly, the Sox were the only team to make him an offer.

I'd argue alexei is top-shelf. All-star SS. Anytime you can pick up an athlete who can play SS at a high level in the majors, you did ok. 
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:24 pm

I agree Tim. I never bitch about Alexie much anymore. I used to. Sometimes he drives you nuts but he always seems like he's busting his ass. That scores points with me. Of all the issues this team has I don't view him as one of them.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:45 am

Chi-kid wrote:With Hahn he is going top shelf with Cubans. No more Viciedo's or even Alexi, who if I remember correctly, the Sox were the only team to make him an offer.

I'd argue alexei is top-shelf. All-star SS. Anytime you can pick up an athlete who can play SS at a high level in the majors, you did ok. 

Correct.  He's nowhere near the reason the Sox aren't a very good team.  He's sometimes prone to goofy plays and mistakes, but no player is without his flaws, otherwise Abreu would stop striking out on pitches off the plate.  I'll take Alexei all day long.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:25 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:This section is about rumors.  If you don't like rumors, skip it.

And, like Tanaka, if the Yankees want somebody, the Yankees get him.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:49 am

Correct.  He's nowhere near the reason the Sox aren't a very good team

Not only that, he also seems to take some pride in his work and being on the team. Eaton's another one. With all the fucking mercenaries out there who could give a fuck who they play for as long as they draw their fat pay check...read Oaf...this is another thing that scores with me.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Today on Rotoworld.com:

"Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that 28 teams and up to 100 baseball officials attended the workout of Rusney Castillo in Miami on Saturday.  It's unclear which two teams decided not to attend, but there is obviously an overwhelming amount of interest in the 27-year-old Cuban defector. He's expected to play in the outfield at the major league level, and could reach the big leagues late this season if he lands in the right situation."

Right situation?  Like a team that needs outfielders?
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:56 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:Today on Rotoworld.com:

"Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that 28 teams and up to 100 baseball officials attended the workout of Rusney Castillo in Miami on Saturday.  It's unclear which two teams decided not to attend, but there is obviously an overwhelming amount of interest in the 27-year-old Cuban defector. He's expected to play in the outfield at the major league level, and could reach the big leagues late this season if he lands in the right situation."

OOOH, OOOH... I know one of those!!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:42 pm

Nomads44 wrote:

So does Jay, but the Mariners don't count. geek

Seriously, the Dodgers, who have a history of going after Cubans, may not be in the bidding because they are overloaded with outfielders.  The deep-pocketed Yankees are probably more in the market for power than speed.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:58 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:

So does Jay, but the Mariners don't count. geek

Seriously, the Dodgers, who have a history of going after Cubans, may not be in the bidding because they are overloaded with outfielders.  The deep-pocketed Yankees are probably more in the market for power than speed.
    The Sox are in the market for someone who can do a 4.5 in the 40yd dash.

The Mariners are in the market for anyone who knows which way the bat should be held.  King Felix got another start of 7 innings, giving up one run, Mariners scoring one run and losing in extras.

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Cream1953 wrote:I agree Tim. I never bitch about Alexie much anymore. I used to. Sometimes he drives you nuts but he always seems like he's busting his ass. That scores points with me. Of all the issues this team has I don't view him as one of them.

The man is 2 months away from his 33rd Bday and is owed $10mil in 15 with a 10 mil option in 16.

Now if this team is 5 years away like the good R suggested in another post, I would suggest seeing if RAmirez can actually land a prospect that will be apart of that 19 team.

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:58 pm

The man is 2 months away from his 33rd Bday and is owed $10mil in 15 with a 10 mil option in 16.

Now if this team is 5 years away like the good R suggested in another post, I would suggest seeing if RAmirez can actually land a prospect that will be apart of that 19 team.

The conversation had nothing to do with keeping or trading Alexei - it had to do with whether or not he was a good signing by Williams.  So even when we all agree with you, you then change the tone of the topic and disagree with what you had previously expounded.   You're some piece of work ....or piece of something. And btw, it wasn't Roger who said the Sox were 5 yrs away, it was me ...

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:51 am

OK Doc, I agree it was a good signing. Also, I'd keep him if I thought this team was a contender in 15

And yes, I knew it was you that said 19 or 20. Quit being so sensitive

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:57 am

BTW my good DR, pa+t of the problems with posting from a smart phone is that when I need to capitalize something, I sometimes capitalize the 2nd letter. And since I don't always proof read, good Dr accidentally goes out as good R.

I was wondering why you thought I was referring to Roger.

And again, I agree that Ramirez was a good sign. And I would think you'd know by now that I prefer to have my pissing matches with you in Lago's Cell.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:37 am

THE KARK wrote:BTW my good DR, pa+t of the problems with posting from a smart phone is that when I need to capitalize something, I sometimes capitalize the 2nd letter.  And since I don't always proof read, good Dr accidentally goes out as good R.

And again, I agree that Ramirez was a good sign.   And I would think you'd know by now that I prefer to have my pissing matches with you in Lago's Cell.  
    Isn't it a butch when your phone is smarter than??'n

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:35 am

Today on Rotoworld.com:

"Ken Davidoff of the New York Post reports that Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo has "sparked speculation" that he could match Yasiel Puig's $42 million contract. Castillo was, by all accounts, highly impressive during his workout for teams Saturday, running a 60-yard dash in 6.4-6.45 seconds while showing off "prodigious power to all fields." The Cuban defector took grounders at shortstop during the workout, but the consensus is that he'll be a center fielder. The 27-year-old could possibly make an impact in the majors during the second half. Davidoff notes that the Yankees sent four representatives to watch Castillo, while the Red Sox sent five. All but two teams sent scouts to watch him, and it sounds like a bidding war could ensue."

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:57 am

frank bonifacic wrote:
    THE KARK wrote:BTW my good DR, pa+t of the problems with posting from a smart phone is that when I need to capitalize something, I sometimes capitalize the 2nd letter.  And since I don't always proof read, good Dr accidentally goes out as good R.

And again, I agree that Ramirez was a good sign.   And I would think you'd know by now that I prefer to have my pissing matches with you in Lago's Cell.  
    Isn't it a butch when your phone is smarter than??'n

Apparently its smarter than ??'n as well

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:19 pm

All but two teams sent scouts to watch him, and it sounds like a bidding war could ensue."

Time for all good Sox fans to move on to another fantasy...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:03 pm