Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    Johnny Winter

    Share
    avatar
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 6166
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 64
    Location : Elkhart, IN.

    Johnny Winter

    Post by Cream1953 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:18 pm

    One of the great white bluesmen of his generation. He was never all that big commercially but was always big enough to hang around and keep making records and performing. To be honest, given his lifestyle for many many years, it's somewhat of a miracle that he lived to see 70.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Johnny Winter

    Post by Guest on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:27 pm

    Had the pleasure of seeing Johnny Winter open for George Thorogood and the Destroyers sometime in the late 70s, at the wonderful Aragon ballroom. ..Festival seating so had me a seat right in front of the speakers....big mistake ..had ringing in my ears for about a week.  Great show tho ...even tho the sound system went down for about an hour in the middle of Thorogood's show..finished it tho.  Winter at that time was playing primarily blues, country blues ...and was touring for his album.. Is his brother Edgar still alive??

    To keep the baseball theme alive - Thorogood when he started out, would only tour in the winter because he was playing semi-pro baseball in the summer ...."who do ya lovvvvve"?
    avatar
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 6166
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 64
    Location : Elkhart, IN.

    Re: Johnny Winter

    Post by Cream1953 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:24 am

    Edgar is Johnny's younger brother by about 3 years. He still tours.

    frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2470
    Join date : 2009-04-05

    Re: Johnny Winter

    Post by frank bonifacic on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:35 pm

    Cream1953 wrote:One of the great white bluesmen of his generation. He was never all that big commercially but was always big enough to hang around and keep making records and performing. To be honest, given his lifestyle for many many years, it's somewhat of a miracle that he lived to see 70.

    Didn't know you were a blues fan.
    read article that said Winter (who was named one of top 100 all time guitarists) was huge Muddy Waters fan.
    Didn't know much about his brother, nor did I know that they were both albinos ( sorry if that is no longer the politically correct expression)
    avatar
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 6166
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 64
    Location : Elkhart, IN.

    Re: Johnny Winter

    Post by Cream1953 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:19 pm

    Didn't know you were a blues fan.

    ***********************************************************************

    I love the blues!! Here's a list of Cream songs followed by the guys who wrote them.

    Spoonful:  Willie Dixon

    I'm So Glad:  Skip James

    Crossroads:  Robert Johnson

    Sitting on Top of the World:  Chester Burnett aka: Howlin' Wolf

    Born Under a Bad Sign:  Booker T. Jones and William Bell

    Outside Woman Blues:  Blind Joe Reynolds

    frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2470
    Join date : 2009-04-05

    Re: Johnny Winter

    Post by frank bonifacic on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:28 pm

    Cream1953 wrote:Didn't know you were a blues fan.

    ***********************************************************************

    I love the blues!! Here's a list of Cream songs followed by the guys who wrote them.

    Spoonful:  Willie Dixon

    I'm So Glad:  Skip James

    Crossroads:  Robert Johnson

    Sitting on Top of the World:  Chester Burnett aka: Howlin' Wolf

    Born Under a Bad Sign:  Booker T. Jones and William Bell

    Outside Woman Blues:  Blind Joe Reynolds
    Some good ones there-especially the last two

    frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2470
    Join date : 2009-04-05

    Re: Johnny Winter

    Post by frank bonifacic on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:41 pm

    frank bonifacic wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:Didn't know you were a blues fan.

    ***********************************************************************

    I love the blues!! Here's a list of Cream songs followed by the guys who wrote them.

    Spoonful:  Willie Dixon

    I'm So Glad:  Skip James

    Crossroads:  Robert Johnson

    Sitting on Top of the World:  Chester Burnett aka: Howlin' Wolf

    Born Under a Bad Sign:  Booker T. Jones and William Bell

    Outside Woman Blues:  Blind Joe Reynolds
    Some good ones there-especially the last two

    check this out

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8xgc1oShXg
    avatar
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 6166
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 64
    Location : Elkhart, IN.

    Re: Johnny Winter

    Post by Cream1953 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:09 pm

    Great clip Frank...I have the DVD of the Albert Hall shows and the whole thing is fantastic. Lots of blues played when Cream takes the stage. What most fanatics of the band will tell you...and we are millions...is that as good as Eric is, Jack and Ginger have ALWAYS brought the best out of him. The musical chemistry between the three of them is almost supernatural. After almost 40 years down the road it was STILL there...it was like they had never split up. It's just a shame the personal chemistry between them left so much to be desired.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Johnny Winter

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:49 pm