Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Biggest Killer!!!

Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Biggest Killer!!!

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:13 pm

You heard it from the Hawkeroo and Stone Pony! The "biggest killer" in the game is 9th inning pressure!!! Those three lousy outs are the back-breaker!!! Stone said it himself..."If you think the 25th, 26th and 27th outs of a ballgame are no different from the others....YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!" Bullshit dickhead...you're so full of shit!! More stupid baseball logic. These batters don't cruise through 8 innings and then jump into a phone booth and slip on a cape just for the 9th. It's 3 fucking outs...get them and go home!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Re: Biggest Killer!!!

Post by rmapasad on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:21 pm

Those three lousy outs are the back-breaker!!! Stone said it himself..."If you think the 25th, 26th and 27th outs of a ballgame are no different from the others....YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!"  >>

When it comes to the White Sox, he is RIGHT !!!
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:01 pm

You can bet those last 3 outs were pressure filled for Koufax and Nolan Ryan when they were pitching NO HITTERS!!

THE PRESSURE OF THE BOTTOM 9 IN TORONTO IN JUNE!!!!  HOLY SHIT.  UNIMAGINABLE!!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Cream1953 wrote:You heard it from the Hawkeroo and Stone Pony! The "biggest killer" in the game is 9th inning pressure!!! Those three lousy outs are the back-breaker!!! Stone said it himself..."If you think the 25th, 26th and 27th outs of a ballgame are no different from the others....YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!" Bullshit dickhead...you're so full of shit!! More stupid baseball logic. These batters don't cruise through 8 innings and then jump into a phone booth and slip on a cape just for the 9th. It's 3 fucking outs...get them and go home!!!

Cream, the story of William Tell wouldn't be much of a story if he was asked to shoot an apple off a fence post.  Likewise, it's a lot harder to kick a 45 yard field goal when your team is down 14-12 with a couple second left in a championship game than it is to kick one early in the first quarter of an exhibition.  Same football, same field, same goalposts - but the pressure is greater.  And the consequences of failure are much more dire.

In terms of the physical world, you're right.  An out is an out, whether it's the first out in a game or the last out or any out inbetween.  And probably the best closers approach a save situation thinking that way.  But it comes to the the mental aspects of different human beings and how well they can handle the stress of a pressure situation.  Some pitchers can't close out a game because they psych themselves out and have meltdowns, like Belisario.  It has as much to do with what's going on in their heads as what's going on on the field.  If they convince themself that getting the last 3 outs is very difficult, then they are likely to have trouble as their fear will make their perception become reality.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:37 pm

How long has BASEBALL been played?

Damn, it took over 100 years for all the MENTAL PRESSURE of those last 3 outs to be discovered!!

Medicate those closers!!  

Anybody who has a real life and concerns himself with the MENTAL PRESSURE on these fuckhead ballplayers has to get a grip.  Harrelson and Stone GET PAID TO BABBLE.  PERIOD.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:42 pm

The "pressure" on these M.L.B. players.... WOW!!  These guys are tough....Big Balls...

HOW ABOUT SOME GUY ON PATROL IN VIET NAM OR AFGHANISTAN?

WILL HAWK HARRELSON FINALLY JUST GO FUCK HIMSELF???
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:44 pm

I don't totally disagree with what you're saying Mart but these galoots are getting paid millions to handle this "stress" and to simply perform as they would have the first 8 innings of the game. This is fucking baseball....not night patrol in Afghanistan. These shitheads don't know what REAL pressure is and if they're that fucking fragile let them go get a real job.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:48 pm

ou heard it from the Hawkeroo and Stone Pony! The "biggest killer" in the game is 9th inning pressure!!! Those three lousy outs are the back-breaker!!! Stone said it himself..."If you think the 25th, 26th and 27th outs of a ballgame are no different from the others....YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!" Bullshit dickhead...you're so full of shit!! More stupid baseball logic. These batters don't cruise through 8 innings and then jump into a phone booth and slip on a cape just for the 9th. It's 3 fucking outs...get them and go home!!!  >>

Agree with you, Cream.  I believe Stone's opinion is being skewed by watching the Sox all the time.  You can blast me all you want, but these kind of assertions are very easy to test.  Stone is basically full of shit..  For 2013, the 9th inning was the toughest inning to hit and score runs.  That's changed this year with closers in the AL  struggling -  9th has turned into more of an "average" inning. 

But for the Sox this year, the 9th inning IS a disaster.  They are 14th in the AL in BA allowed in the 9th inning.  But they're just as bad in the 8th inning - same 14th rank...   Oddly though when it comes to the 7th inning, it's a totally different story -  Sox are the best team in the AL in BA (.196) allowed... Which is something of an indictment of the way the club is being managing -  the worst relievers are being "saved up" for the 8th and 9th innings !
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:57 pm

How about the mental pressure on the lunatic walking across the Grand Canyon on the tightrope?

How about the mental pressure on the Christian being fed to the lions in front of Roman Fanboys?
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:12 pm

How about the mental pressure on the Christian being fed to the lions in front of Roman Fanboys?

***********************************************************************************

John would probably be in the stands wearing a Ceaser jersey.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:29 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:How about the mental pressure on the lunatic walking across the Grand Canyon on the tightrope?

Bobby, it's not the amount of mental pressure. There are a lot more stressful situations in life than being a professional athlete. It's how different people react to that pressure. I've seen some people go bonkers over low stress situations while others seem undainted with whatever comes their way.  You have probably witnessed the same, too.

My point is that some pitchers just can't handle the stress of closing out a game.  Whether you want to view them as wimps or not still doesn't change the fact that they suck when asked to close.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Cream1953 wrote:I don't totally disagree with what you're saying Mart but these galoots are getting paid millions to handle this "stress" and to simply perform as they would have the first 8 innings of the game. This is fucking baseball....not night patrol in Afghanistan. These shitheads don't know what REAL pressure is and if they're that fucking fragile let them go get a real job.  

Maybe it's the fear of having to go out and get a real job paying a small fraction of what they make as ballplayers that creates much of the stress.  The more money that they make, the more that they have to lose if they fuck up their baseball gigs, and thus the more pressure that they feel.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Cream1953 wrote:How about the mental pressure on the Christian being fed to the lions in front of Roman Fanboys?

***********************************************************************************

John would probably be in the stands wearing a Ceaser jersey.

Maybe a  Ceaser Manniago sweater!
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Marty, I don't give them that much credit.  They are usually dumber than fence posts.  Thinking ahead to a real job never crosses their minds.  Kris Honel waiting for a call!!!  I can picture them choking in the 9th inning IF they begin to think!!  I have zero sympathy for them.  They are well compensated entertainers.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:33 pm

[size=18]Maybe it's the fear of having to go out and get a real job paying a small fraction of what they make as ballplayers that creates much of the stress.  The more money that they make, the more that they have to lose if they fuck up their baseball gigs, and thus the more pressure that they feel. >>[/size]

[size=18]There is pressure in a lot of jobs ! Like an airline pilot who suddenly hears a thump in an engine.  These guys are very fortunate to be where they are and just getting to the majors involves overcoming pressure.  For a guy like Belisario, the pressure is self-inflicted.  His own past track record undoubtedly makes his confidence shaky and the minute he gives up a baserunner, it just seems that he's goes "uh-oh" and it gets worse for him.  He may be a decent enough guy, but reality is that he folds.[/size]

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:39 pm

rmapasad wrote:[size=18]Maybe it's the fear of having to go out and get a real job paying a small fraction of what they make as ballplayers that creates much of the stress.  The more money that they make, the more that they have to lose if they fuck up their baseball gigs, and thus the more pressure that they feel. >>[/size]

[size=18]There is pressure in a lot of jobs ! Like an airline pilot who suddenly hears a thump in an engine.  These guys are very fortunate to be where they are and just getting to the majors involves overcoming pressure.  For a guy like Belisario, the pressure is self-inflicted.  His own past track record undoubtedly makes his confidence shaky and the minute he gives up a baserunner, it just seems that he's goes "uh-oh" and it gets worse for him.  He may be a decent enough guy, but reality is that he folds.[/size]

I agree, Roger.  His perception becomes his reality.  He creates his own demons, and they come to take him down.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:Marty, I don't give them that much credit.  They are usually dumber than fence posts.  Thinking ahead to a real job never crosses their minds.  Kris Honel waiting for a call!!!  I can picture them choking in the 9th inning IF they begin to think!!  I have zero sympathy for them.  They are well compensated entertainers.

Bobby, although there are some smart athletes, my experience is that you are probably right that many lack basic intelligence.  I remember sitting through classes in college with some of these dumb fucks and wondering how they ever got out of grade school.

As far as sympathy goes, I have more sympathy for the fans that have to endure shitty performanances.  The athletes get paid to produce.  If they don't, they should be gone, just like in any other profession.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:39 pm

They used to be GONE!!  In the good old days!  I can picture Billy Martin beating the living Hell out of these fat assed failure relief pitchers.  Billy, Drunk at the Hotel Bar, seeing these failures and pounding the shit out of them!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:59 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:They used to be GONE!!  In the good old days!  I can picture Billy Martin beating the living Hell out of these fat assed failure relief pitchers.  Billy, Drunk at the Hotel Bar, seeing these failures and pounding the shit out of them!!

Believe it or not, I actually had this image in my mind yesterday of a stathead approaching Billy Martin in a bar saying, "Hey, you shouldn't be using Ron Davis for multiple innings to set up Rich Goosage but rather go with lefty-lefty, righty-righty matchups."  I could just imagine what the old banter rooster's response would have been.

Ah, for the good old days before LaRussafication set in. Smile
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:08 pm

Marty, on a different note, I think this MLB and all professional sports are a cut throat business.  I am sure that these bozos do not spend time figuring out somebody's mental makeup and what some guy would be best suited for.  I don't begrudge the players a dime.  If somebody is offering you this amount of cash, you would be a fool not to take it.  It is all nuts.  The entertainment industry.

As far as any sympathy for FANS goes, I have none.  Nobody forces anybody to waste money, energy or emotion on any of this bullshit.  In reality this is no different than the movies.  The bullshit emotion of Fanboys is just as dumb as Women grabbing People Magazine at the check out line at the food store.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:28 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:Marty, on a different note, I think this MLB and all professional sports are a cut throat business.  I am sure that these bozos do not spend time figuring out somebody's mental makeup and what some guy would be best suited for.  I don't begrudge the players a dime.  If somebody is offering you this amount of cash, you would be a fool not to take it.  It is all nuts.  The entertainment industry.

As far as any sympathy for FANS goes, I have none.  Nobody forces anybody to waste money, energy or emotion on any of this bullshit.  In reality this is no different than the movies.  The bullshit emotion of Fanboys is just as dumb as Women grabbing People Magazine at the check out line at the food store.

I agree with you, Bobby.  I don't want any sympathy for watching the White Sox.  It's my choice.  It's probably similar to a guy going to a dominatrix to have his balls put in a nutcracker.  It's his choice, and he shouldn't get any sympathy for his high-pitched bitching afterwards.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:43 am