Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Danks and Sale

jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Danks and Sale

Post by jaywit on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:04 pm

rmapasad wrote:Gillaspie playing like he could be an answer at 3B.>
     Jay I think the Sox are lucky to have gotten a nice month out of him. On the plus side, he's hitting a lot of line drives but he won't keep up his current 31% rate (in fact no one in majors could)
    On the minus side, he's going after more pitches out of the zone and hasn't shown much power so far.   His defensive ratings look OK. He's 0 for 8 on converting plays that have any degree of difficulty and 28 for 31 in making plays that a 3rdbaseman "should" make nearly all the time.
    To date, he's a 249/308/384 in the majors.  His minor league career suggests he can do better than that, but not by a lot.  So while he won't KILL the Sox at 3b, IMO he doesn't look like he'll be a big help either. Unfortunately, Davidson is stinking it up at Charlotte thus far (.181 Bat Avg and a K rate that would make Dunn blush) so Gillaspie wil have plenty of rope for a while.

You're probably right, Roger, and I expect he'll return to earth.  He also had a good month or two last year, too, which makes me wonder about his ability to improve with more time.  Maybe with more seasoning, he doesn't fall off in production so much and his new norm remains at a valuable level.  His at bats I've seen this year are good at bats.  Patient, not swinging at bad pitches;  things that aren't subject to fluctuation so much.

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:56 pm

jaywit wrote:
     Jay I think the Sox are lucky to have gotten a nice month out of him. On the plus side, he's hitting a lot of line drives but he won't keep up his current 31% rate (in fact no one in majors could)
    On the minus side, he's going after more pitches out of the zone and hasn't shown much power so far.   His defensive ratings look OK. He's 0 for 8 on converting plays that have any degree of difficulty and 28 for 31 in making plays that a 3rdbaseman "should" make nearly all the time.
    To date, he's a 249/308/384 in the majors.  His minor league career suggests he can do better than that, but not by a lot.  So while he won't KILL the Sox at 3b, IMO he doesn't look like he'll be a big help either. Unfortunately, Davidson is stinking it up at Charlotte thus far (.181 Bat Avg and a K rate that would make Dunn blush) so Gillaspie wil have plenty of rope for a while.

You're probably right, Roger, and I expect he'll return to earth.  He also had a good month or two last year, too, which makes me wonder about his ability to improve with more time.  Maybe with more seasoning, he doesn't fall off in production so much and his new norm remains at a valuable level.  His at bats I've seen this year are good at bats.  Patient, not swinging at bad pitches;  things that aren't subject to fluctuation so much.

I see Gillaspie as a good fit on a contender. A nice bench piece who can play the infield corners and has a bit of pop. Eric Hinske had a pretty good career doing that.

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:58 pm

winstonage wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

I see Gillaspie as a good fit on a contender. A nice bench piece who can play the infield corners and has a bit of pop. Eric Hinske had a pretty good career doing that. Oh and keep him away from lefthanded pitching.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:00 pm

I see Gillaspie as a good fit on a contender. A nice bench piece who can play the infield corners and has a bit of pop. Eric Hinske had a pretty good career doing that. Oh and keep him away from lefthanded pitching.  >>

Good call, Craig.  He is a very solid  utility/platoon guy. He's terrible v. LHed pitching but decent v. RHers.  Decent enough that he could hit  .270-.275 v. RHers over a full season. 
    Jay, the stats say he hasn't necessarily been more patient this year.  He's swinging at 36% of pitches out of the strike zone v. 28% last year.  You're probably right, Roger, and I expect he'll return to earth.  He also had a good month or two last year, too, which makes me wonder about his ability to improve with more time.  Maybe with more seasoning, he doesn't fall off in production so much and his new norm remains at a valuable level.  His at bats I've seen this year are good at bats.  Patient, not swinging at bad pitches;  things that aren't subject to fluctuation so much.

I see Gillaspie as a good fit on a contender. A nice bench piece who can play the infield corners and has a bit of pop. Eric Hinske had a pretty good career doing that. Oh and keep him away from lefthanded pitching.  >>

Good call, Craig.  He's been terrible v. LHers but decent v. RHers.  Decent enough that he could probably hit .270-.275 over a full season against righties. 
    Jay, the stats don't say he's been any more patient this year - in fact he's swinging at 36% of pitches out of the zone v. 28% last year.  He's been lucky this year in finding holes  - nearly 42% of his balls in play go for hits (normal major league avg is 31%) so he won't keep this up much longer. In fact, the correction was already starting as he's hit .227 in his last 5 games.  Maybe some of that had to do with his hand injury but it's also possible advance scouts are alerting pitchers how to work  him more effectively.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:14 pm