Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

RHP Scott Carroll - fast start

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

RHP Scott Carroll - fast start

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:11 am

The Sox need pitching.  How about this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maJzUsUBjf0

I don't know much about righthanded pitcher Scott Carroll except that he's a 29-year-old career minor leaguer drafted in the 3rd round by the Reds in 2007.  He doesn't pile up the strikeouts, nor does he walk too many, but he does seem to get outs.  The Sox have him in the starting rotation at AAA Charlotte, so they must think something of him (or they don't have anybody else).  Anyway, so far in 3 starts he has a 3-0 record and hasn't given up an earned run in 19 innings.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/teams/players/?tm_id=3109&y=2014
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Re: RHP Scott Carroll - fast start

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:59 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:The Sox need pitching.  How about this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maJzUsUBjf0

I don't know much about righthanded pitcher Scott Carroll except that he's a 29-year-old career minor leaguer drafted in the 3rd round by the Reds in 2007.  He doesn't pile up the strikeouts, nor does he walk too many, but he does seem to get outs.  The Sox have him in the starting rotation at AAA Charlotte, so they must think something of him (or they don't have anybody else).  Anyway, so far in 3 starts he has a 3-0 record and hasn't given up an earned run in 19 innings.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/teams/players/?tm_id=3109&y=2014

Thanks, Mart.  I had never heard of him.  I'd give any of Rienzo, Guerra, Leesman, even Purcey, another shot before too long if they continue to blow leads and/or perform as one of baseball's worst pens.  Some guys just never disappear.  Purcey seems one.  Someone must see something in him.  I saw Kussmaul throw in a spring training game, and while I had not heard of him, I was a bit impressed.  Surprised he was in AAA already.  Not sure what Boggs' problem is, but he used to have a decent history.... nothing lately.  And Surkamp used to be a top prospect whose star has faded.

Don't know much good or bad about Frank de los Santos in AA, but we picked him up from someone over the winter and he had fairly decent minor league numbers a couple years ago.

Just keep bringing them in on cheap contracts until they find a couple stopgaps if their own kids cannot do the job yet.  Always guys like Javy Guerra looking for work.

Jose Arredondo, Tim Byrdak, Aaron Cook, Dotel, Frank Francisco, Freddy Garcia, Kevin Gregg, Guerrier, Karstens, Madson, Marquis, Mijares, Moylan, Nieman, Rauch, etc.  None may be worth diddle, but why not if the situation gets dire.  Jeff Hanrahan I think is unsigned, but his may be an agent holdout issue.  But is he getting desperate yet?
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:01 pm

And Cleto and Webb deserve a few more looks, too, to see if they can pitch the 9th inning with a lead.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:47 pm

Nomads44 wrote:And Cleto and Webb deserve a few more looks, too, to see if they can pitch the 9th inning with a lead.
    IMO--Daniel (The PROSECUTOR) Webb will end up being the Sox' closer by years' end.

Last edited by sox55 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:26 pm

sox55 wrote:
    IMO------Daniel (The PROSECUTOR) Webb will end up being the Sox' closer by years' end.

The Sox defense team (or lack thereof) will be out to get him. affraid 

They should give Daniel Webb the chance to close, though.  He may be young and inexperienced, but he has one big thing going for him, i.e., he's not Matt Lindstrom...  Case closed.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:48 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    Jose Arredondo, Tim Byrdak, Aaron Cook, Dotel, Frank Francisco, Freddy Garcia, Kevin Gregg, Guerrier, Karstens, Madson, Marquis, Mijares, Moylan, Nieman, Rauch, etc.  None may be worth diddle, but why not if the situation gets dire.  Jeff Hanrahan I think is unsigned, but his may be an agent holdout issue.  But is he getting desperate yet?

The Sox did give Francisco a minor league contract today.

Did someone (Mart?) post that Hanrahan had a workout today?  If so, did the Sox show up?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:06 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:

The Sox did give Francisco a minor league contract today.

Did someone (Mart?) post that Hanrahan had a workout today?  If so, did the Sox show up?

I doubt if Frank Francisco is going to be the answer as he wasn't a very good closer in his prime; but as you say, Jim, it doesn't hurt to sign a guy like him to a minor league contract.  If he's no good, they can cut him.

Free agent Joel Hanrahan, who was a very good closer before hurting his elbow, is scheduled to pitch for reps from a number of teams on Thursday.  From Rotoworld.com:

"CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Mets, Yankees, Royals, Athletics, Red Sox and Dodgers are among the teams expected to watch Joel Hanrahan (elbow) throw on Thursday. Heyman also lists the Cardinals, Indians, Rays, Rockies, Rangers and Angels as other teams that could possibly be interested in the veteran reliever. Hanrahan, who is 11 months removed from Tommy John and flexor tendon surgeries, had a throwing session for clubs last month and was reportedly clocked in the 90-92 mph range. He should catch on with someone soon."
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:02 am

WIN NOW-RELOAD!!!
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:55 am

Jesus Bobby...do you just cut and paste the same post from one thread to another?  Razz

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Jesus Bobby...do you just cut and paste the same post from one thread to another?  Razz

No shit ..and he says he "likes" this team ...imagine if he didn't?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:10 pm

Chi-kid wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:Jesus Bobby...do you just cut and paste the same post from one thread to another?  Razz

No shit ..and he says he "likes" this team ...imagine if he didn't?

No need to imagine.  Just dig up his posts from last season.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:23 pm

13 days ago.... Great suggestion, Mart.  Did you contact the Sox?

Last edited by Nomads44 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct my math)

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:49 pm

Nomads44 wrote:13 days ago.... Great suggestion, Mart.  Did you contact the Sox?

No, Jim.  If I did, they'd probably bury him in A-ball...

BTW, former Brave RHP Tommy Hanson pitch 5 no-hit innings for AAA Charlotte the other day.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 am