Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Seattle scouting The Tank!

Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Seattle scouting The Tank!

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:17 am

Just read where the Mariners have scouts watching Hawk's MONSTER for a possible trade.  This was the guy a few seasons ago that THE COACH and John wanted brought up to SAVE THE SEASON!!!  How did THAT work????
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Seattle scouting The Tank!

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:00 am

Can't we just give him to Seattle and forget about it?
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:14 am

Left handed hacker DeAza more valuable to Sox than right handed hacker Tank.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:22 am

Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Left handed hacker DeAza more valuable to Sox than right handed hacker Tank.

The Twins are reportedly "interested" in De Aza.  Maybe both go by opening day.  If so, they better get a decent outfielder for one of them.
    Father of Satan
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Father of Satan on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:27 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Left handed hacker DeAza more valuable to Sox than right handed hacker Tank.

The Twins are reportedly "interested" in De Aza.  Maybe both go by opening day.  If so, they better get a decent outfielder for one of them.

You are going to make that Kark guy's head explode.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:31 am

My guess is that Seattle may want to unload Dustin Ackley.  I'd trade De Aza for Ackley in a heartbeat, but probably not Viciedo.

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Father of Satan wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

You are going to make that Kark guy's head explode.

Depends on what the White Sox get back.

What the KARK doesn't want is a salary dump of one of the White Sox better players when they really do not have anybody to replace him
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Neither one would qualify as a salary dump.  Calling somebody one of the better players on the Sox does not mean that guy is a great or even good player.

Your left field platoon idea is also bullshit.  Would mean Viciedo gets as many at bats as Konerko, around 200.  

One of these two has to go.  The Sox probably need DeAza's lefty bat more than the need Viciedo's right handed bat.
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:35 pm

Marty, the Sox are going nowhere this season.  Farewell tours.  If we know DeAza and Viciedo aren't all that great, MLB teams do, too.  Hahn should get a young player under financial control for either.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:12 pm

Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Marty, the Sox are going nowhere this season.  Farewell tours.  If we know DeAza and Viciedo aren't all that great, MLB teams do, too.  Hahn should get a young player under financial control for either.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if either or both of them were traded, Bobby.  I just would rather see De Aza go.  Tank is still young and has more upside, IMO.  Still, if there's a decent offer, I'm not going to complain.  It's not like Hahn is breaking up the 1927 Yankees.
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Tank is a hacker!!!  What UPSIDE?  How many batting coaches will he go through?  This waiting for Tank and waiting for Beckham is a load of shit.  This is make or break for Beckham.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:47 pm

Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Tank is a hacker!!!  What UPSIDE?  How many batting coaches will he go through?  This waiting for Tank and waiting for Beckham is a load of shit.  This is make or break for Beckham.

Bobby, I didn't say Viciedo has a lot of upside.  And yes, he is a hacker.  I said that he has more upside than De Aza.  It's like saying that he has more speed than Konerko.  Viciedo hit 25 homers his first full season in 2012 but took a major step backwards last season.  In any event, Tank ain't worth getting into a pissing contest over.  If you want to believe that he's totally worthless and will never amount to anything, be my guest.  Maybe you're right.

Anyway I hope Viciedo has a great 25th birthday tomorrow.  Smile 
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:34 pm

The book on Viciedo, as reported by his biggest cheerleader Hawk Harrelson last season was do not throw him strikes.  He will get himself out.  Let's see how Winter or the new hitting coach can change this hapless approach.  Kittle had one good year, too.  Then there is THE BOOK on you.  Adjust or fail.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:40 pm

Bobbyrosebowl wrote:The book on Viciedo, as reported by his biggest cheerleader Hawk Harrelson last season was do not throw him strikes.  He will get himself out.  Let's see how Winter or the new hitting coach can change this hapless approach.  Kittle had one good year, too.  Then there is THE BOOK on you.  Adjust or fail.

No doubt that is one of Viciedo's big problems.  He'll swing at just about anything.  And he'll have to adjust or find another line of work.  As far as great hackers go, he's five months younger than the great Jared Mitchell.  Smile
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Last year just after Viciedo returned from the DL he had a 2-3 week span of plate discipline and drew some walks.  Unheard of prior to that.  I thought that maybe something or someone finally reached him.  Then he fell off to being the same hacker we've come to expect.  Anyone can get a 2-3 wk long hitting streak but this was more than just a hitting streak.  He actually looked like he had a clue.  I'd love to see that Viciedo again.
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:04 pm

None other than Adam the Oaf had two weeks in August when he actually took the ball the other way.  He soon reverted back to Adam the Oaf.

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:57 pm

Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Neither one would qualify as a salary dump.  Calling somebody one of the better players on the Sox does not mean that guy is a great or even good player.

Your left field platoon idea is also bullshit.  Would mean Viciedo gets as many at bats as Konerko, around 200.  

One of these two has to go.  The Sox probably need DeAza's lefty bat more than the need Viciedo's right handed bat.

So what if Viciedo only gets 200 at bats?  Knowing you, you'll soon be claiming its 200 too many

Right now the LF platoon is the best option the White Sox have

Unless you know of some drug that will turn Jared Mitchell into Carl Yaztremski

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:03 pm

Viciedo is 24 yrs old and is better than anything the Sox have in the minor leagues, the major leagues, and anything better than anyone is going to give them. Why would a team trade a BETTER outfielder better than  Viciedo for Viciedo? They would just keep what they have, as should the Sox. 
    De'Aza on the other hand sucks and could be given away for a Class A power arm.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:08 pm

jaywit wrote:Last year just after Viciedo returned from the DL he had a 2-3 week span of plate discipline and drew some walks.  Unheard of prior to that.  I thought that maybe something or someone finally reached him.  Then he fell off to being the same hacker we've come to expect.  Anyone can get a 2-3 wk long hitting streak but this was more than just a hitting streak.  He actually looked like he had a clue.  I'd love to see that Viciedo again.

Viceido's splits for last season showed a marked improvement in the second half of the season in terms of batting average.  His BA pre All Star break was .246 and post All Star break was .291.  In September he hit .296, so he finished strong.  His power and RBI numbers were the same pre and post break (7 HR's, 28 RBI's), but he had 63 fewer at-bats after the break.  So, in terms of HR/RBI per at-bat, there was also some improvement there post break.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/30103/dayan-viciedo

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Viciedo actually hit right-handed pitchers better last season than he hit southpaws.  Benching him against righties in a platoon to give De Aza playing time doesn't seem to make sense.
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:47 am

The platoon makes no sense at all.

Also, a statistical analysis of Viciedo last season means nothing as that team lost 99 games and according to Peavy, quit in May.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:42 am

Bobbyrosebowl wrote:The platoon makes no sense at all.

Also, a statistical analysis of Viciedo last season means nothing as that team lost 99 games and according to Peavy, quit in May.

Do you really want to throw out all of what Viciedo did (and didn't do) last season and judge him only on his 25 dinger first full season in 2012?  Wink 

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:38 am

Chi-kid wrote:Viciedo is 24 yrs old and is better than anything the Sox have in the minor leagues, the major leagues, and anything better than anyone is going to give them. Why would a team trade a BETTER outfielder better than  Viciedo for Viciedo? They would just keep what they have, as should the Sox. 
    De'Aza on the other hand sucks and could be given away for a Class A power arm.

IF ITS ANOTHER ROY SMALLEY FOR DOUG DRABEK, THE KARK WILL AGREE

BUT THEN, WASN'T HE MORE OF A FINESSE ARM?

PS, DE AZA DOESN'T SUCK.  HE MAY HAVE A HOLE OR 3 IN HIS GAME BUT HE DOESN'T SUCK
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:39 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:My guess is that Seattle may want to unload Dustin Ackley.  I'd trade De Aza for Ackley in a heartbeat, but probably not Viciedo.

Ackley is a bigger bust than Beckham.  I hope they don't get him for either of the two.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:10 am

jaywit wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:My guess is that Seattle may want to unload Dustin Ackley.  I'd trade De Aza for Ackley in a heartbeat, but probably not Viciedo.

Ackley is a bigger bust than Beckham.  I hope they don't get him for either of the two.

Ah, Jay, in a De Aza for Ackley trade, I was just looking at it from the Hooterville standpoint of trading bust for bust -- and the younger boobs are usually more preferably to the older ones.  Smile

Besides, the Sox could than make Kark happy by platooning Beckham and Ackley at 2B...  Razz 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:35 pm