Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Pete Seeger

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Pete Seeger

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:29 am

I'm surprised that with all the liberals on this board and those who marvel at the antics of our congressmen, that nobody has mentioned Pete Seeger. He fought with the goofs on the House Unamerican activities committee and basically told them that his private business was his private  business, Sentebced for contempt (overturned) and wrote a bunch of songs that many at the time didn't realize were anti war and protest.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Pete Seeger

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:42 am

Pete was cartainly an icon when it came to the folk/protest movement. Admittedly I wasn't all that familiar with him...he was a bit before my time and I was much more into Dylan when it came to similar styles. That said, there's no denying that Seeger had a huge influence on Dylan and others from that era. There's a side of me that laments missing that era of smoke-filled coffee houses and sitting around a table discussing the overthrow of capitalism and how to give everyone more free stuff.  Very Happy
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:47 am

I'm far too young to really know much about the guy.  Heard of him and am aware of some of his music and that he was arrested and jailed or four whole hours.  That's about it.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:01 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Pete was cartainly an icon when it came to the folk/protest movement. Admittedly I wasn't all that familiar with him...he was a bit before my time and I was much more into Dylan when it came to similar styles. That said, there's no denying that Seeger had a huge influence on Dylan and others from that era. There's a side of me that laments missing that era of smoke-filled coffee houses and sitting around a table discussing the overthrow of capitalism and how to give everyone more free stuff.  Very Happy

He was before your time, during your time and after your time.
    I am assuming you were around during Viet Nam when a whole bunch of the songs were his -even tho he didn't sing them all.
    Hell, even young Rob is familiar with a bunch of them; "If I had a hammer", "Where have all the flowers gone", Turn, turn ,turn (or maybe the title is "seasons") and one of the ultimate anti war songs "the big muddy"

He was part of the Weavers (think that broke up when he had his congressional blacklist) and he worked with a number of the top folk types
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:09 pm

Cream1953 wrote: There's a side of me that laments missing that era of smoke-filled coffee houses and sitting around a table discussing the overthrow of capitalism and how to give everyone more free stuff.  Very Happy

But your lungs certainly don't take it as missing much.  tongue
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Well well well, last time I saw you, you and the administrator were passed out in corner both cradling a bottle of Malort. Your big birthday bash quieted this board for 2 days. Now that you're back I see that you're typing the same worthless swill that you were before your birthday!  tongue
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Well well well, last time I saw you, you and the administrator were passed out in corner both cradling a bottle of Malort. Your big birthday bash quieted this board for 2 days. Now that you're back I see that you're typing the same worthless swill that you were before your birthday!  tongue

The administrator and I were tag teaming Sarah Michelle Gellar for 48 hours.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:46 pm

I am assuming you were around during Viet Nam when a whole bunch of the songs were his -even tho he didn't sing them all.

Of course I was around during Viet Nam. My draft classification was 1-H. By the luck of the draw, my birthday was so far down in the draft lottery that Ho Chi Minh would have had to been knocking at my backdoor before I would have been called up. My older brother wasn't so lucky. He enlisted in the Marines and was among the early ones to see combat back in '64-'65. He was stationed at Da Nang. Got fucked up over there and has never emotionally recovered.

As for Seeger, you're right, I became familiar with his songs through other artists who recorded them. Many discovered Dylan in the same way though I latched onto Bob directly when I heard "Highway 61 Revisted'.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:49 pm

The administrator and I were tag teaming Sarah Michelle Gellar for 48 hours.

Ms. Messing and I were watching it all on the security cam...and laughing our asses off.  Razz She leaned over to me and whispered "Compared to me and you these are bumbling amatuers."
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:58 pm

Cream1953 wrote:The administrator and I were tag teaming Sarah Michelle Gellar for 48 hours.

Ms. Messing and I were watching it all on the security cam...and laughing our asses off.  Razz She leaned over to me and whispered "Compared to me and you these are bumbling amatuers."

Gellar is younger than Messing, so she is right.

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:03 pm

Never into Pete Seegar, and really was too young for the acoustic Dylan so didn't get into him until he turned electric....never could get to liking folk music .... fancied Country Joe and the Fish tho, lol ..

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:26 am

Except for a few people like Pete Seeger, music as a whole in the 15 year period from 1945 to around 1960 lacked any social message. Part of that had been due thru the 1950's to the lingering fear of McCarthyism; but I believe that it was also due to the desire of a generation which had lived thru the Great Depression and World War II to try to form a more idyllic happy existence, even if that meant sweeping the problems of the day under the rug. Popular music would turn out hits like "How Much is That Doggie in the Window" while folk music had gone from Woody Guthrie's often stinging pro-labor, anti-plutocratic music of the 1930's to Burl Ives cranking out renditions of light tunes like "The Blue Tail Fly". Even Joan Baez's debut album in 1960, although having some very good tunes and of course excellent singing, had nothing of a political or social content - much different than many of the songs that she would be singing a few years later.

To me, music is at it's best when it carries a message that is relevant for it's time, whether it's Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction", Genesis's "Land of Confusion", or more recently a series of vintage songs like "Black Lung" and "Black Waters" sung by Kathy Mattea taking on the coal industry. (Kudos to her, as at least one country singer is performing socially relevant music rather than what seems to be the norm for that genre of twangy right-wing redneck flag-waving bullshit.)

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:36 pm

I always loved folk music. And Pete Seeger was one of the greats which both Rock and Country owe a debt. And that ain't "Garbage":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX3ljsKF6bQ

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:51 pm

To me, music is at it's best when it carries a message that is relevant for it's time,

There is no doubt that music in the 60s meant more to teens and young adults than it does to kids today When Edwin Starr sang "war means tears, in a thousand mothers eys, when their sons go to fight, and lose their lives....WAR, what is it good for...absolutely nothing"...or when Fogarty let out with his ...."I ain't no senators son, no"...we knew exactly what he meant, and what that meant to us that were draft age. Sure there were love songs..mostly from girl groups, but for every "Stop in the Name of Love", there were songs on the radio like "Ball of Confusion" which blared from the radio as my family "white flighted" it  out of Chicago, just like the song said. Maybe it was the lack of the internet and social media, or maybe it was the terror of the Vietnam war,  but songs back then were rallying cries and brought the generation together - I'm not a Hip Hop or Rap fan, but I give them credit for starting what was at the time, was the only consistently socially relevant music going, which like everything, has turned into a cash cow. 
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:11 pm

Personally, I've always thought that adversity and social upheaval provide fertile ground for creativity in the arts. If you look back to the 60's and early 70's, along with the music there was also a great deal of monumental work being offered in literature and the movies. One of the few things Kark and I have agreed on is the pussification of America. As a nation we've grown fat, lazy, shallow and stupid. There's no Viet Nam war, civil rights movement, women's lib and sexual revolution to preoccupy our minds. Nowadays we go absolutely insane over who's wearing what on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:42 pm

There's no Viet Nam war, civil rights movement, women's lib and sexual revolution to preoccupy our minds. Nowadays we go absolutely insane over who's wearing what on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. >>
    A lot of that can be laid at the feet of our generation, Cream.. Like the movie the "Big Chill" showed, many of the activists of the 60's and early 70's turned into corporate ladder-climbers in the 80's and 90's.  Our kids in turn haven't really been as involved in social issues, maybe partly because the draft had ended and there isn't the same threat hanging over 18-24 year olds as in 1969-1971.  Plus, they have been brought up in the "stuff-oriented" society that we have created.

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:47 pm

A lot of that can be laid at the feet of our generation, Cream.. Like the movie the "Big Chill" showed, many of the activists of the 60's and early 70's turned into corporate ladder-climbers in the 80's and 90's.

No argument that the "ideals"  turned to deals....

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:32 am

rmapasad wrote:Like the movie the "Big Chill" showed, many of the activists of the 60's and early 70's turned into corporate ladder-climbers in the 80's and 90's. 

And more recently, many were probably the old farts rallying to deny people health care.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:47 pm