Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    Dunn On Trading Block

    Share
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2325
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Dunn On Trading Block

    Post by rmapasad on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:01 am


    Buster Olney of ESPN believes that the White Sox have created a logjam at first base and designated hitter, and that Adam Dunn could wind up being the odd man out and put on the trading block. Jose Abreu is clearly the team's future at first base, and Paul Konerko isn't going anywhere else for his farewell tour. That leaves Dunn as a strong candidate to be dealt unless the White Sox are planning on platooning he and Konerko. Until the situation is resolved, Dunn's fantasy value is limited. >

    It's taken this long for Buster Olney to figure out the Sox have three guys for two spots ?  And it's suddenly a news flash that the Sox want to deal Dunn ?  I bet for the last two years anytime the Sox start a trade conversation with another GM the response is "don't bring you-know-who's name up again."   If the Sox could have gotten any worthwhile portion of Dunn's salary lifted from their shoulders these past several years, he'd have been long gone by now...  As to whether he platoons at DH with Konerko, that's not a brain-twister either.  Konerko had a 600 OPS v. RHers and .923 v. LHers last year.  Dunn put up a 786 OPS v. RHers and a 681 v. LHers...Platooning is a classic way for eaking out some remaining value from an over the hill guy by letting him do only what he can still handle... Of course, Dunn's 786 OPS v. RHers is barely handling them and the only reason he hasn't just been released by now is Sox don't have any LHed  DH-type in the system who looks capable of coming close to matching that.  Of course, neither Dunn or Paulie  belong on a rebuilding team like the Sox, and so Hahn is probably like everyone else on this Board praying that Dunn doesn't trip on his dick so badly in the first couple months that it ruins the chance to offload him to some contender who in June figures they could use a power-hitting DH or 1bmen  

    MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 4295
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Location : Area 51

    Re: Dunn On Trading Block

    Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 am

    rmapasad wrote:
    Buster Olney of ESPN believes that the White Sox have created a logjam at first base and designated hitter, and that Adam Dunn could wind up being the odd man out and put on the trading block. Jose Abreu is clearly the team's future at first base, and Paul Konerko isn't going anywhere else for his farewell tour. That leaves Dunn as a strong candidate to be dealt unless the White Sox are planning on platooning he and Konerko. Until the situation is resolved, Dunn's fantasy value is limited. >

    It's taken this long for Buster Olney to figure out the Sox have three guys for two spots ?  And it's suddenly a news flash that the Sox want to deal Dunn ?  I bet for the last two years anytime the Sox start a trade conversation with another GM the response is "don't bring you-know-who's name up again."   If the Sox could have gotten any worthwhile portion of Dunn's salary lifted from their shoulders these past several years, he'd have been long gone by now...  As to whether he platoons at DH with Konerko, that's not a brain-twister either.  Konerko had a 600 OPS v. RHers and .923 v. LHers last year.  Dunn put up a 786 OPS v. RHers and a 681 v. LHers...Platooning is a classic way for eaking out some remaining value from an over the hill guy by letting him do only what he can still handle... Of course, Dunn's 786 OPS v. RHers is barely handling them and the only reason he hasn't just been released by now is Sox don't have any LHed  DH-type in the system who looks capable of coming close to matching that.  Of course, neither Dunn or Paulie  belong on a rebuilding team like the Sox, and so Hahn is probably like everyone else on this Board praying that Dunn doesn't trip on his dick so badly in the first couple months that it ruins the chance to offload him to some contender who in June figures they could use a power-hitting DH or 1bmen  

    That's the way that I saw it, Roger, when I read the above on Rotoworld.  It's obvious that there's a logjam, and Dunn has been on the trading block for what seems like an eternity.  If the Sox carry insurance on Dunn's contract, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the DL for a good part of the time with slight muscle pulls, etc.  Of course, it would have to be a real injury and not some B.S.; otherwise it would be fraud.  When he's not on the DL, Konerko might be there with his back problems.  Such moves would help alleviate the logjam and open up a roster spot.  Instead of a DH platoon, it might become something like a DL platoon. 
    avatar
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 6166
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 63
    Location : Elkhart, IN.

    Re: Dunn On Trading Block

    Post by Cream1953 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:20 pm

    I can't tell you how excited I am about the Paul Konerko retirement tour.

    MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 4295
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Location : Area 51

    Re: Dunn On Trading Block

    Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:27 pm

    Cream1953 wrote:I can't tell you how excited I am about the Paul Konerko retirement tour.

    You won't have to chase after it.  To keep in character, it will likely be very slow moving...


    Last edited by MGJOHNSON on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2325
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Dunn On Trading Block

    Post by rmapasad on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:34 pm

    If the Sox carry insurance on Dunn's contract, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the DL for a good part of the time with slight muscle pulls, etc.  Of course, it would have to be a real injury and not some B.S.; otherwise it would be fraud.  When he's not on the DL, Konerko might be there with his back problems.  Such moves would help alleviate the logjam and open up a roster spot.  Instead of a DH platoon, it might become something like a DL platoon. >
    In one sense, both these guys have every incentive in the world to show up at Spring Training in good shape and play their asses off to stretch out their careers beyond 2014 since neither are guaranteed squat after this year.   Of course, both have been spouting retirement talk even this  last year, so they could also mail it in  this last season and gladly go on the DL with any signs of a pull or tweak.. I think a lot depends on how the rest of the team performs.  If they see some signs of life, either or both could try to do their best..
    avatar
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 3601
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 57
    Location : Spokane, WA

    Re: Dunn On Trading Block

    Post by jaywit on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:54 pm

    rmapasad wrote:If the Sox carry insurance on Dunn's contract, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the DL for a good part of the time with slight muscle pulls, etc.  Of course, it would have to be a real injury and not some B.S.; otherwise it would be fraud.  When he's not on the DL, Konerko might be there with his back problems.  Such moves would help alleviate the logjam and open up a roster spot.  Instead of a DH platoon, it might become something like a DL platoon. >
    In one sense, both these guys have every incentive in the world to show up at Spring Training in good shape and play their asses off to stretch out their careers beyond 2014 since neither are guaranteed squat after this year.   Of course, both have been spouting retirement talk even this  last year, so they could also mail it in  this last season and gladly go on the DL with any signs of a pull or tweak.. I think a lot depends on how the rest of the team performs.  If they see some signs of life, either or both could try to do their best..

    Unfortunately, Roger, I think they tried their best last year.
    avatar
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1926
    Join date : 2011-07-27
    Location : Bacardi Club

    Re: Dunn On Trading Block

    Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:29 pm

    Dunn only has this minor problem for a hitter.  His bat rarely makes contact with the ball.
    avatar
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 3601
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 57
    Location : Spokane, WA

    Re: Dunn On Trading Block

    Post by jaywit on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:26 pm

    Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Dunn only has this minor problem for a hitter.  His bat rarely makes contact with the ball.

    His bat makes contact at less than random rates.  I'd bet a decent pitcher could hit his bat with the ball more often than Dunn could hit the ball with his bat.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2325
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Dunn On Trading Block

    Post by rmapasad on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:04 pm

    His bat makes contact at less than random rates.  I'd bet a decent pitcher could hit his bat with the ball more often than Dunn could hit the ball with his bat.>>


    Dunn, according to Fan Graphs, makes contact 70 % of the time he swings.  Needless to say that's one of the worst rates in baseball, but he has company -some good, some bad.. That's roughly the same % as the Branyans, Custs, Mark Reynolds and Miguel Olivas of this world.  But it's also fairly similar to Ryan Howard, Chris Davis, Josh Hamilton and Jim Thome.

    Big sluggers whiffing a lot has been a tradition since Babe Ruth, but Dunn has taken it to another level since joining the Sox.  He leads the majors in strikeouts per PA these last 3 years- a stunning 35% of the time.  It's interesting that vast majority of guys who strike out 25% of the time or more have BAt Avg's below .250.  Dunn, who's the king of whiff, also has the worst 3 year Bat Avg.

    While Dunn's biggest flaw is lack of contact, his secondary and almost equal problem is lack of good contact.. He only gets hits 25% of the time he puts the ball in play (versus a league average of 30%) and over the last three years Dunn has the 5th worst Bat Avg for Balls in Play in the majors.  This double whammy is what has made him so abysmal with the Sox.  Interestingly, in the 4 years prior to the Sox, Dunn was a big whiffer too but his BABIP was .305... THAT has been the big difference in his nosedive with the Sox...

    Sponsored content

    Re: Dunn On Trading Block

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:32 am