Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Tanaka a Yankee

Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Tanaka a Yankee

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:14 am

As Gomer Pyle would say: "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!"!!!!!!!

But take heart White Sox fanboys. YOUR team was in the running for this wonderful player's services right down to the very end! Your estranged GM, Kenny Williams, fought the good fight and had pen in hand ready to sign Tanaka! ROFLMAO!! But wait! All is not lost! As we speak your beloved team is on the verge of bringing back 2 fan favorites...."Big Jim" Thome and Manny Ramirez!!

The pieces are falling into place!  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: Tanaka a Yankee

Post by alohafri on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am

Damn! I thought for sure he would have played for next to nothing at beautiful Wrigley Field.
    Father of Satan
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Father of Satan on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:07 pm

Cream1953 wrote:As Gomer Pyle would say: "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!"!!!!!!!

But take heart White Sox fanboys. YOUR team was in the running for this wonderful player's services right down to the very end! Your estranged GM, Kenny Williams, fought the good fight and had pen in hand ready to sign Tanaka! ROFLMAO!! But wait! All is not lost! As we speak your beloved team is on the verge of bringing back 2 fan favorites...."Big Jim" Thome and Manny Ramirez!!

The pieces are falling into place!  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers

You're welcome for Manny Ramirez!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:22 pm

I see that Tanaka has a no-trade clause in his contract with the Yankees.  Probably that had something to do with his meeting with Kenny Williams... Laughing 
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:25 pm

But take heart White Sox fanboys. YOUR team was in the running for this wonderful player's services right down to the very end! Your estranged GM, Kenny Williams, fought the good fight and had pen in hand ready to sign Tanaka! ROFLMAO!!    >>

Wonder what the Sox offered and how far off it was from what the Yankees' deal. It seemed all along that the Sox were in it to show fans that they were trying but all the while realizing that they were likely to offer less than clubs who were really serious about getting him.  Kenny's whole line about Tanaka making a decision on "factors besides money" was a real tipoff.

jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:40 pm

rmapasad wrote:But take heart White Sox fanboys. YOUR team was in the running for this wonderful player's services right down to the very end! Your estranged GM, Kenny Williams, fought the good fight and had pen in hand ready to sign Tanaka! ROFLMAO!!    >>

Wonder what the Sox offered and how far off it was from what the Yankees' deal. It seemed all along that the Sox were in it to show fans that they were trying but all the while realizing that they were likely to offer less than clubs who were really serious about getting him.  Kenny's whole line about Tanaka making a decision on "factors besides money" was a real tipoff.

This turned out pretty much as I hoped:  "You Go Somewhere Else".  I am a little surprised Seattle made no noise for him.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Wonder what the Sox offered and how far off it was from what the Yankees' deal.

**********************************************************************************

Ten million over 5 years plus all the "quality" time he wanted with Sully Beckham!!
    Father of Satan
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Father of Satan on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:06 pm

jaywit wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:But take heart White Sox fanboys. YOUR team was in the running for this wonderful player's services right down to the very end! Your estranged GM, Kenny Williams, fought the good fight and had pen in hand ready to sign Tanaka! ROFLMAO!!    >>

This turned out pretty much as I hoped:  "You Go Somewhere Else".  I am a little surprised Seattle made no noise for him.

When they signed the original contract with Ichiro Suzuki, they were limited to the number of Japanese players they were able to sign.

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Good...let him go.  As I have said, these japanese players have never "WOWED" me one bit. Other than Ichuro, who is a first ballot HOFer, I can't think of another one that I would have wanted above filling other needs.  Yankees gave this guy $125 million and $20 million to the japanese team ...the Sox, and about 28 other MLB teams, don't have that type of cash to throw around.  Let's see how he does in the bright lights of NY city, playing for the favorite sons....the last Jap that was so hyped ended up committing hari kari... this was a GOOD NO-SIGN!

rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Good...let him go.  As I have said, these japanese players have never "WOWED" me one bit. Other than Ichuro, who is a first ballot HOFer, I can't think of another one that I would have wanted above filling other needs.  Yankees gave this guy $125 million and $20 million to the japanese team ...the Sox, and about 28 other MLB teams, don't have that type of cash to throw around.  Let's see how he does in the bright lights of NY city, playing for the favorite sons....the last Jap that was so hyped ended up committing hari kari... this was a GOOD NO-SIGN! >>

Basically agree since a $ 20 million + per year guy is a major risk for most teams, including the Sox, but not so much for the Yankees with their large revenue base. 
    As to the failure of other Japanese pitchers in the US, no question that major league competition is tougher but Nomo, Kuroda, DArvish and Iwakuma have all been above average pitchers.. Tanaka is like Kuroda and Iwakuma who are groundball pitchers with good control.   Dice K and Irabu are the two biggest flameouts of highly touted Japanese pitchers, but their problem was control. 
    Tanaka stands a decent chance of success but the division he plays in is tough with some real HR ballparks in NY, Boston and Toronto.  They also have patient hitters who will make him get his fastball over before he can use his split finger effectively..  My best guess is that he'll be a 3.75 -4.00 ERA pitcher for the Yankees.. If the Yankees had their traditionally strong offense (Jeter, ARod, Texeira, Cano, etc) that might make him a 15-18 game winner.  With the kind of offense the Yankees had last year (11th in the league), he may only win 10-12 games.. Not the kind of return you'd want from a guy making $ 20 million plus a year.   Obviously the same would hold true for the Sox, who have a HR park just like NY and whose offense was even worse.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:00 pm

this was a GOOD NO-SIGN! >

One last issue.  While no one legitimately criticize the Sox for not signing Tanaka because he wasn't what the Sox needed right now and was too big a $$ risk, then what were they doing farting around with him to begin with ?   If this was basically some sort of public relations gesture for fans, then it was pretty transparent and lame.  How many Sox fans thought there was really any chance whatsoever he'd wind up on the Southside ?
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:43 pm

rmapasad wrote: this was a GOOD NO-SIGN! >

One last issue.  While no one legitimately criticize the Sox for not signing Tanaka because he wasn't what the Sox needed right now and was too big a $$ risk, then what were they doing farting around with him to begin with ?   If this was basically some sort of public relations gesture for fans, then it was pretty transparent and lame.  How many Sox fans thought there was really any chance whatsoever he'd wind up on the Southside ?

I already had a "You're Naka hit Tanaka" tee shirt made.

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:02 pm

One last issue.  While no one legitimately criticize the Sox for not signing Tanaka because he wasn't what the Sox needed right now and was too big a $$ risk, then what were they doing farting around with him to begin with ?

I think the sox play the "what have we got to lose" scenario. It's like when you go to a antique or collectible show. You see something you like and think, I'll offer him $50 and maybe I'll get lucky and he'll sell it. If he says "no", u shrug and go " I tried". Or it's like asking the best looking babe to dance. If she says no, oh well. 
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Chi-kid wrote:One last issue.  While no one legitimately criticize the Sox for not signing Tanaka because he wasn't what the Sox needed right now and was too big a $$ risk, then what were they doing farting around with him to begin with ?

I think the sox play the "what have we got to lose" scenario. It's like when you go to a antique or collectible show. You see something you like and think, I'll offer him $50 and maybe I'll get lucky and he'll sell it. If he says "no", u shrug and go " I tried". Or it's like asking the best looking babe to dance. If she says no, oh well. 

And sometimes she says "why, yes!"
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:49 pm

If this was basically some sort of public relations gesture for fans, then it was pretty transparent and lame

*************************************************************************************

Yes....it was.
    chisoxkid
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by chisoxkid on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:27 pm

Supposedly:
    "Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that the Yankees separated themselves, but not by a wide margin. The DodgersCubsWhite SoxAstros and Diamondbacks were all involved in the end. According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, all teams that participated in the second round of bidding had to come in above the six-year, $120MM level."

Now here's the real shocking part:
    For the White Sox, GM Rick Hahn says that reports of the team's efforts to land Tanaka largely seemed "accurate," reports Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago. Ultimately, however, Hahn says that the money reached a level that the club was not comfortable reaching. The resources that the club would have used to sign Tanaka remain available for a similarly attractive opportunity in the future, Hahn said, but he does not see any in the current market. (Links to Twitter.)
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:57 pm

When I thought they were talking about this guy, I was all for it!
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:16 pm

When I thought they were talking about this guy, I was all for it!

**********************************************************************************

The White Sox would have stuck him at shortstop.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:09 am

Chi-kid wrote:One last issue.  While no one legitimately criticize the Sox for not signing Tanaka because he wasn't what the Sox needed right now and was too big a $$ risk, then what were they doing farting around with him to begin with ?

True enough, Sharpy, but why waste everyone's time and bid on something that you really don't want (or can't afford) just on the improbable chance that your lowball bid is accepted ?  And what pray tell happens, if the other bidders unexpectedly fall out and the Sox are only ones left standing with their $ 18 million a year offer ?  Do they rejoice at the "steal" they just got even though it means taking on a guy for over $ 100 million ?  If he bombs, this is twice as costly as the Adam Dunn disaster..
    At least a couple would-be contenders like Angels had the decency not to enter the bidding, knowing he wasn't a real fit. 
    All this PR stunt by the Sox did was get a very small handful of fans excited but I bet it looked like amateur hour to the vast majority of fans. 

when the Sox knew all along what kind of pricetag he would command, and it really

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:45 am

rmapasad wrote:

True enough, Sharpy, but why waste everyone's time and bid on something that you really don't want (or can't afford) just on the improbable chance that your lowball bid is accepted ?  And what pray tell happens, if the other bidders unexpectedly fall out and the Sox are only ones left standing with their $ 18 million a year offer ?  Do they rejoice at the "steal" they just got even though it means taking on a guy for over $ 100 million ?  If he bombs, this is twice as costly as the Adam Dunn disaster..
    At least a couple would-be contenders like Angels had the decency not to enter the bidding, knowing he wasn't a real fit. 
    All this PR stunt by the Sox did was get a very small handful of fans excited but I bet it looked like amateur hour to the vast majority of fans. 

when the Sox knew all along what kind of pricetag he would command, and it really
    To buttress your point- on my drive to train thisorn listened to Mully & Hanley on the Score. They had interview with Epstein and hoyer and then Mullyentooned about the texts,calls & emails from disappointed cub fans. Then stated not ONE message from a sox fan! Wondered if sox fans don't care or are satisfied with the way the sox have been going- with their signings and realize that thisuch hit not be the time - or feel that their pitching staff is pretty good and don't need to sign a big money pitcher.
    Think you hit it - and he kind of implied- the sox fans never expected the sox to sign him and even more so didn't want to put all that's net on one player

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:50 am

frank bonifacic wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

To buttress your point- on my drive to train thisorn listened to Mully & Hanley on the Score. They had interview with Epstein and hoyer and then Mullyentooned about the texts,calls & emails from disappointed cub fans. Then stated not ONE message from a sox fan! Wondered if sox fans don't care or are satisfied with the way the sox have been going- with their signings and realize that thisuch hit not be the time - or feel that their pitching staff is pretty good and don't need to sign a big money pitcher.
    Think you hit it - and he kind of implied- the sox fans never expected the sox to sign him and even more so didn't want to put all that's net on one player
    Just love the self correcting feature of the I phone!
    Mully "mentioned"
    That this might not be the timetime
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:02 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

The beauty of all this Tanaka BS is that the Cubs once again BS'd their fans to the end and then the next day the Sun-Times headlines proclaim:
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/25113883-418/wrigley-deal-fell-apart-at-stormy-session-with-cubs-rooftop-owners.html

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Cream1953 wrote: If this was basically some sort of public relations gesture for fans, then it was pretty transparent and lame

*************************************************************************************

Yes....it was.

I really think they were serious, otherwise just call his agent. Williams, Hahn and Ventura flew to LA to meet with him. This isn't win now anymore. Hahn's moves are what the fan base is liking not any public relations move.

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:15 pm

I really think they were serious, otherwise just call his agent. Williams, Hahn and Ventura flew to LA to meet with him. This isn't win now anymore. Hahn's moves are what the fan base is liking not any public relations move.

This dude has pitched 250 more innings than anyone ever has by the age of 24. He has pitched 175 pitches in a game, and back to back games. Japanese pitchers typically get 5 to 6 days off between starts.  This guy has bust written all over him.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:18 am

Chi-kid wrote:I really think they were serious, otherwise just call his agent. Williams, Hahn and Ventura flew to LA to meet with him. This isn't win now anymore. Hahn's moves are what the fan base is liking not any public relations move.

This dude has pitched 250 more innings than anyone ever has by the age of 24. He has pitched 175 pitches in a game, and back to back games. Japanese pitchers typically get 5 to 6 days off between starts.  This guy has bust written all over him.

Even if Tanaka were to win 20 games a year for the next 7 years, the length of his contract, that would be over $1.1 million per win.  That's a heck of a lot of money, especially when one considers how easily the White Sox give games away.  Sheesh, if a win is worth well over a million bucks, one would hope that the Sox would play a lot harder to get one!  Of course, Tanaka hasn't won any MLB games yet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:00 am