Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Masahiro Tanaka

sox55
    Roof Shot

Masahiro Tanaka

Post by sox55 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:43 am

From the WSI message boards:

The Sox have done very well retooling this year for the future. I think its time now to roll the dice and go after Tanaka. In the past 30 years the Sox have had one elite starting pitcher, BlackJack and Sale is right there knocking on the door. Thats 30 years of draft picks. The way baseball is these days, the Sox only way of getting a young elite pitcher is through the draft and as you can see that doesnt happen often. Money shouldnt be a problem going after Tanaka, it shouldnt hamstring the organization at all. Having two elite starters would put the Sox on the map and would lure FA's in the future. I am really tired of the Sox thinking small when they have the resources now to think and act big. I hope they are flying a slealth mission and are prepared to snag him to everyone's surprise. 

Well at least I can still dream.

jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Masahiro Tanaka

Post by jaywit on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:20 am

sox55 wrote:
    From the WSI message boards:

The Sox have done very well retooling this year for the future. I think its time now to roll the dice and go after Tanaka. In the past 30 years the Sox have had one elite starting pitcher, BlackJack and Sale is right there knocking on the door. Thats 30 years of draft picks. The way baseball is these days, the Sox only way of getting a young elite pitcher is through the draft and as you can see that doesnt happen often. Money shouldnt be a problem going after Tanaka, it shouldnt hamstring the organization at all. Having two elite starters would put the Sox on the map and would lure FA's in the future. I am really tired of the Sox thinking small when they have the resources now to think and act big. I hope they are flying a slealth mission and are prepared to snag him to everyone's surprise. 

Well at least I can still dream.

Isn't there a buy-out of about $20 million?  That bites too much into the bottom line.  Sox will never go for it.  They're interested in winning as long as it doesn't take away from their profit margin.

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:44 am

Well at least I can still dream

Early start on New Year's Eve, John?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:20 pm

At around 200 lbs., Tanaka is no where near as huge an acquisition as Felipe Paulino. Wink 

Besides the buyout, it might take more than a $100 million multi-year contract to sign Tanaka.  That's a pretty nice haul for a guy who has never thrown a pitch in the major leagues.  If the Sox were one pitcher away from being in the World Series, I could see them maybe getting into the bidding war.  But spending mega-millions to sign a pitcher to get the team from 99 losses to perhaps 89 losses doesn't seem all that good an investment.  That kind of money could be better spent improving the team at multiple levels/positions.

Of course, the Sox aren't likely to throw that addition amount of money around anyway, especially after signing Jose Abreu to a huge contract.  Reinsdorf has probably shot his wad for the next decade.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Well at least I can still dream

Early start on New Year's Eve, John?
    I just copied and pasted the message......not even the "dreaming' part was mine.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Yeah....suuuuuuuure John.  tongue 

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:14 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:At around 200 lbs., Tanaka is no where near as huge an acquisition as Felipe Paulino. Wink 

Besides the buyout, it might take more than a $100 million multi-year contract to sign Tanaka.  That's a pretty nice haul for a guy who has never thrown a pitch in the major leagues.  If the Sox were one pitcher away from being in the World Series, I could see them maybe getting into the bidding war.  But spending mega-millions to sign a pitcher to get the team from 99 losses to perhaps 89 losses doesn't seem all that good an investment.  That kind of money could be better spent improving the team at multiple levels/positions.

Of course, the Sox aren't likely to throw that addition amount of money around anyway, especially after signing Jose Abreu to a huge contract.  Reinsdorf has probably shot his wad for the next decade.

Tanaka is only 25, so he could sure be part of the rebuild. Scouts say he is better than Daisuke, but not as good as Darvish. This would take a lot of scratch whoever signs him.
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:04 am

Is John wearing pants when he reads the WSI message board?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:36 am

Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Is John wearing pants when he reads the WSI message board?

Yes, otherwise Bova will send his minions after him!
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:59 am

Is John wearing pants when he reads the WSI message board? 

Cut John some slack. With only one hand available it takes him forever to type a post.  Shocked

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:41 am

Tanaka is only 25, so he could sure be part of the rebuild. Scouts say he is better than Daisuke, but not as good as Darvish. This would take a lot of scratch whoever signs him.

Try as I might, I just cannot get excited about these Asian ballplayers. Other than Ichiro and Matsui, the position players have either been busts, or marginal at best. As have the pitchers. Daisuke was a bust...darvish looks good, but we'll see. One guy killed himself, Nomo had a few great games but otherwise was marginal also ...Tanaka was 24-0 ...TWENTY FOUR and ZERO!....either he's Koufax and Cy Young in one body, or the teams/players he is facing are below marginal.. I just wouldn't risk $100 million bucks on a guy who pitched against competition that allowed him to go 24-0, especially if a team has so many other needs.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:47 am

On the other hand the White Sox don't have any needs and have 100 million to burn. Might as well take the chance!!  cheers

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:11 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Tanaka is only 25, so he could sure be part of the rebuild. Scouts say he is better than Daisuke, but not as good as Darvish. This would take a lot of scratch whoever signs him.

Try as I might, I just cannot get excited about these Asian ballplayers. Other than Ichiro and Matsui, the position players have either been busts, or marginal at best. As have the pitchers. Daisuke was a bust...darvish looks good, but we'll see. One guy killed himself, Nomo had a few great games but otherwise was marginal also ...Tanaka was 24-0 ...TWENTY FOUR and ZERO!....either he's Koufax and Cy Young in one body, or the teams/players he is facing are below marginal.. I just wouldn't risk $100 million bucks on a guy who pitched against competition that allowed him to go 24-0, especially if a team has so many other needs.

No matter how good Tanaka may be, he's only one pitch away from the surgeon's knife, as is any pitcher.  If he stays healthy, he'll pitch in approximately 33 games per year and be a benched spectator without having any bearing in the other 129 games.  If he doesn't stay healthy, his huge contract will be a drag on the Sox payroll for several years.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Tanaka was 24-0!  Wow!  Just think of how much more human he'll be with a lineup of Dunn, Beckham, Flowers, et al to back him up.  Rolling Eyes 

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:48 pm

From Rotoworld.com:

"According to Nikkan Sports in Japan, five teams made formal offers -- nearly all of them worth more than $100 million over six years -- to Masahiro Tanaka on January 16. Aaron Steen of MLB Trade Rumors provided the translation of the Japanese story. The five teams are said to be the Yankees, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, White Sox and Cubs. One team that was said to not be a serious contender for Tanaka's services was the Angels. The January 24 signing deadline is quickly approaching, and with his serious suitors now identified it's just a matter of waiting to see which one winds up winning the sweepstakes for the 25-year-old."

I'm shocked that the Sox would be in the bidding this high.  Maybe it's just a false rumor.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:01 am

I'm shocked that the Sox would be in the bidding this high. 

****************************************************************************

They aren't. This is nothing more then a total bullshit public relations smoke screen. They aren't about to outbid the Yankees or even the Cubs for that matter. When they don't land the guy they can at least jerk off the fanboys by saying "Hey...we tried!" Yeah right.  Rolling Eyes

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:53 am

Cream1953 wrote:I'm shocked that the Sox would be in the bidding this high. 

****************************************************************************

They aren't. This is nothing more then a total bullshit public relations smoke screen. They aren't about to outbid the Yankees or even the Cubs for that matter. When they don't land the guy they can at least jerk off the fanboys by saying "Hey...we tried!" Yeah right.  Rolling Eyes

I hope you're right, Cream.  For a team with so many holes to fill, it's an awful lot of cash to throw at a guy with no major league experience who is only going to be playing in about one-fifth of the games if he stays healthy.  If they put some of that kind of money into building a decent farm system, they might become competitive for many years into the future...
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:14 am

A good agent always pretends there are all kinds of teams in the chase to drive up the price.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:01 pm

No matter how good Tanaka may be, he's only one pitch away from the surgeon's knife, as is any pitcher.  If he stays healthy, he'll pitch in approximately 33 games per year and be a benched spectator without having any bearing in the other 129 games.  If he doesn't stay healthy, his huge contract will be a drag on the Sox payroll for several years.>>

Whatever team lands him will spend over $ 130 million (with posting fee considered). If he's signed for 6-7 years that's over a $ 20 million investment per year.. That would be less than Kershaw, Verlander, King Felix, Cliff Lee and Zach Greinke who are all inked for $ 25-30 million per year on their deals.   Clearly Tanaka hasn't proven yet that he can deliver to the level of these guys v. American big leaguers.  Plus he has put some mileage on his arm in Japan, throwing 185 - 210 innings per year in their majors since age 18.

A team like the Yankees who has the budget to absorb these type of risks, and must constantly try to be a perennial contender makes sense.  They can re-plenish with another big $$ later on if Tanaka doesn't pan out.

A mid-budget team like the Sox has to hope that such a big buck signing works out because they won't re-sign another guy like this for a long time.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:40 pm

rmapasad wrote:

No matter how good Tanaka may be, he's only one pitch away from the surgeon's knife, as is any pitcher.  If he stays healthy, he'll pitch in approximately 33 games per year and be a benched spectator without having any bearing in the other 129 games.  If he doesn't stay healthy, his huge contract will be a drag on the Sox payroll for several years.>>

Whatever team lands him will spend over $ 130 million (with posting fee considered). If he's signed for 6-7 years that's over a $ 20 million investment per year.. That would be less than Kershaw, Verlander, King Felix, Cliff Lee and Zach Greinke who are all inked for $ 25-30 million per year on their deals.   Clearly Tanaka hasn't proven yet that he can deliver to the level of these guys v. American big leaguers.  Plus he has put some mileage on his arm in Japan, throwing 185 - 210 innings per year in their majors since age 18.

A team like the Yankees who has the budget to absorb these type of risks, and must constantly try to be a perennial contender makes sense.  They can re-plenish with another big $$ later on if Tanaka doesn't pan out.

A mid-budget team like the Sox has to hope that such a big buck signing works out because they won't re-sign another guy like this for a long time.

I hope the cubbies sign him.  That team is beyond hope.  And if he doesn't pan out, it couldn't happen to a more deserving franchise.  Maybe the cost of signing Tanaka will keep their right-wing ownership from super pac-ing another fucked up candidate. 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:15 pm