Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    hardly knew him

    Share
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2546
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by rmapasad on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:58 pm

    Wow!  The Sox got Matt Davidson, the guy that the Dbacks have been hyping up as the future across-the-diamond bookend to Paul Goldschmidt, for only Addison Reed!  It looks like a steal for Hahn!

    Praising a Sox move is always met with a large degree of skepticism and expectation of irony.  You messing with us?
    [As a Sox fan, I love the trade.  As a Diamondbacks' fan, I wondering WTF...[/size][/size]




    Teams always hype their prospects but Davidson's glove may not be all that great. Snakes felt Prado was just fine at 3b for the foreseeable future and with Goldschmidt set at 1b, they really had no place to put Davidson.  To your point though, not sure what they thinking in acquiring Reed since they already have Putz and Hernandez in late inning relief.  Theoretically Arizona should have gotten more than this for Davidson who probably ranked in top 50 prospects in all of baseball going into 2014.
    avatar
    sox55
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1869
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 62
    Location : Pleasant Prairie , WI

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by sox55 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:18 pm

    rmapasad wrote:Wow!  The Sox got Matt Davidson, the guy that the Dbacks have been hyping up as the future across-the-diamond bookend to Paul Goldschmidt, for only Addison Reed!  It looks like a steal for Hahn!

    Praising a Sox move is always met with a large degree of skepticism and expectation of irony.  You messing with us?
    [As a Sox fan, I love the trade.  As a Diamondbacks' fan, I wondering WTF...[/size][/size]




    Teams always hype their prospects but Davidson's glove may not be all that great. Snakes felt Prado was just fine at 3b for the foreseeable future and with Goldschmidt set at 1b, they really had no place to put Davidson.  To your point though, not sure what they thinking in acquiring Reed since they already have Putz and Hernandez in late inning relief.  Theoretically Arizona should have gotten more than this for Davidson who probably ranked in top 50 prospects in all of baseball going into 2014.


    Well, IF it's fielding that he needs to work on, then THE MANAGER can have a DIRECT IMPACT considering that Ventura was not thought of as a good fielder when he entered MLB but made himself into a very good fielder fairly quickly. And BTW---- the quote section is NOT working properly for me either.


    avatar
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

    Posts : 1047
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Location : Portage Park

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by TeleFrank on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:23 pm


    Well Hahn found a 3rd base. Now he needs a catcher. As for Reed. I recall telling John that I thought Reed was becoming a drama princess. Just a few loses away from Drama Queen.


    I won't go into my distaste for the save rule and how it makes these dopes seem better than they are. But it does seem that the Sox always seem to have a top reliever for a half season the last few years. Somebody comes out of the pen and is lights out for a month or two then they can't throw a ball into the catchers mitt. Somebody will fill that bill.


    Besides a good friend who's son is a fan of Chicago's National League baseball team actually named his daughter Addison. His wife wouldn't let him do Clark, Waveland or Sheifield. I'm serious.
    avatar
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1926
    Join date : 2011-07-27
    Location : Bacardi Club

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:08 pm

    Like John always says, this closer crap is overrated. Find some new power arm.

    They GOT somebody who might play 3B.

    3B.....everyday player.

    Makes perfect sense.

    WHO FUCKING NEEDS A CLOSER WHEN YOU LOSE 99 GAMES?

    MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 4295
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Location : Area 51

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:02 pm

    A rumor last week had the Sox about ready to sign Juan Uribe to a 2 year contract to play 3B.  I'd much rather have a young player like Davidson who has his career ahead of him rather than an aging retread that the Sox got rid of several seasons ago.

    MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 4295
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Location : Area 51

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:08 pm

    Concerning a new closer, from Rotoworld.com:
     
    "White Sox general manager Rick Hahn named Nate Jones, Matt Lindstrom and Daniel Webb as the team’s possible in-house candidates to replace Addison Reed as closer. "I don’t feel the urgency to anoint anyone the closer," Hahn said. "Frankly our scouts and player development people have done a real nice job over the years providing us with options, and I’m confident that’s going to continue." Most have pegged Jones and his career 9.3 K/9 rate as the early favorite for the role, though Lindstrom has the "closer experience" thing working in his favor. Webb is surely a longshot for the ninth inning given that he only has nine career appearances at the big league level, but the Sox do like his upside."
    avatar
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1926
    Join date : 2011-07-27
    Location : Bacardi Club

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:16 pm

    Hahn has said over and over again that consistent winning is his goal. Not throw shit at the wall WIN NOW.
    The upside of signing Uribe would be that I would have new material to just demolish WIN NOW Fanboys!!!

    I am happy with going young and rebuilding.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 2546
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by rmapasad on Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:13 pm

    TeleFrank wrote:
    Well Hahn found a 3rd base. Now he needs a catcher. As for Reed. I recall telling John that I thought Reed was becoming a drama princess. Just a few loses away from Drama Queen. I won't go into my distaste for the save rule and how it makes these dopes seem better than they are. But it does seem that the Sox always seem to have a top reliever for a half season the last few years. Somebody comes out of the pen nd is lights out for a month or two then they can't throw a ball into the catchers mitt. Somebody will fill that bill.

    "Save" is the worst stat in baseball.. Holding a 3 run lead is counted just as much as holding onto a 1 run lead.   An "average" reliever should be able to hold a 1 run lead nearly 60% of the time, and should rarely cough up a 2 or 3 run lead.   Reed blew about half his one-run lead save chances this year and held onto over 90% of his 2 and 3 run leads.  There are over 100 other relievers in the majors who could have done the same thing or better.  

    MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 4295
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Location : Area 51

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:00 pm

    rmapasad wrote:
    TeleFrank wrote:
    Well Hahn found a 3rd base. Now he needs a catcher. As for Reed. I recall telling John that I thought Reed was becoming a drama princess. Just a few loses away from Drama Queen. I won't go into my distaste for the save rule and how it makes these dopes seem better than they are. But it does seem that the Sox always seem to have a top reliever for a half season the last few years. Somebody comes out of the pen nd is lights out for a month or two then they can't throw a ball into the catchers mitt. Somebody will fill that bill.

    "Save" is the worst stat in baseball.. Holding a 3 run lead is counted just as much as holding onto a 1 run lead.   An "average" reliever should be able to hold a 1 run lead nearly 60% of the time, and should rarely cough up a 2 or 3 run lead.   Reed blew about half his one-run lead save chances this year and held onto over 90% of his 2 and 3 run leads.  There are over 100 other relievers in the majors who could have done the same thing or better.  


    That's why it shouldn't be too hard to replace Addison Reed.  He's not a Mariano Rivera.  Closers like Reed seem to last 2 or 3 years and then fall by the wayside as opposing hitters get a bead on them.  I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox produce a new closer every year and trade him after the season.  It seems other teams value these guys way too much.
    avatar
    sox55
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1869
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 62
    Location : Pleasant Prairie , WI

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by sox55 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:29 pm

    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    TeleFrank wrote:
    Well Hahn found a 3rd base. Now he needs a catcher. As for Reed. I recall telling John that I thought Reed was becoming a drama princess. Just a few loses away from Drama Queen. I won't go into my distaste for the save rule and how it makes these dopes seem better than they are. But it does seem that the Sox always seem to have a top reliever for a half season the last few years. Somebody comes out of the pen nd is lights out for a month or two then they can't throw a ball into the catchers mitt. Somebody will fill that bill.

    "Save" is the worst stat in baseball.. Holding a 3 run lead is counted just as much as holding onto a 1 run lead.   An "average" reliever should be able to hold a 1 run lead nearly 60% of the time, and should rarely cough up a 2 or 3 run lead.   Reed blew about half his one-run lead save chances this year and held onto over 90% of his 2 and 3 run leads.  There are over 100 other relievers in the majors who could have done the same thing or better.  


    That's why it shouldn't be too hard to replace Addison Reed.  He's not a Mariano Rivera.  Closers like Reed seem to last 2 or 3 years and then fall by the wayside as opposing hitters get a bead on them.  I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox produce a new closer every year and trade him after the season.  It seems other teams value these guys way too much.

    UP NEXT........... "The PROSECUTER".......Daniel Webb
    avatar
    Father of Satan
    Disco Demolition Expert

    Posts : 382
    Join date : 2013-10-26
    Location : Any place I want to be

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by Father of Satan on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:33 am

    sox55 wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    TeleFrank wrote:
    Well Hahn found a 3rd base. Now he needs a catcher. As for Reed. I recall telling John that I thought Reed was becoming a drama princess. Just a few loses away from Drama Queen. I won't go into my distaste for the save rule and how it makes these dopes seem better than they are. But it does seem that the Sox always seem to have a top reliever for a half season the last few years. Somebody comes out of the pen nd is lights out for a month or two then they can't throw a ball into the catchers mitt. Somebody will fill that bill.

    "Save" is the worst stat in baseball.. Holding a 3 run lead is counted just as much as holding onto a 1 run lead.   An "average" reliever should be able to hold a 1 run lead nearly 60% of the time, and should rarely cough up a 2 or 3 run lead.   Reed blew about half his one-run lead save chances this year and held onto over 90% of his 2 and 3 run leads.  There are over 100 other relievers in the majors who could have done the same thing or better.  


    That's why it shouldn't be too hard to replace Addison Reed.  He's not a Mariano Rivera.  Closers like Reed seem to last 2 or 3 years and then fall by the wayside as opposing hitters get a bead on them.  I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox produce a new closer every year and trade him after the season.  It seems other teams value these guys way too much.

    UP NEXT........... "The PROSECUTER".......Daniel Webb

    You will get Shingo back!

    Win now 2014! You're welcome!

    MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 4295
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Location : Area 51

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:55 am

    sox55 wrote:UP NEXT........... "The PROSECUTER".......Daniel Webb

    Could be, John.  But if people think Nate Jones is wild, wait until they get a good look at Webb and Petricka.  All three guys can throw their fastball at or near 100 mph, but control is not their forte.

    Jake Petricka has the best stuff of the three because he has a very good curve and changeup to go with his heater.  He also has the reputation of inducing a lot of groundball outs, when he's not striking out batters or walking them.  If he ever gets decent control, he could become a staff ace as a starter.

    Sponsored content

    Re: hardly knew him

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:20 pm