Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Adam Eaton caution to myself

Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Adam Eaton caution to myself

Post by Nomads44 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:36 am

I like this trade, but one name from the past to temper my excitement. 

I thought we had this very same type of player in Jeremy Reed.  Superb minor league numbers (maybe even better), good speed and good defense in CF, a "balls to the wall" grinder. 

Because of injuries, he never became anything even close to what I hoped. 

I can have similar hope now for Eaton, but not going to presume the huge value I expected from Reed.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Adam Eaton caution to myself

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:42 am

Nomads44 wrote:I like this trade, but one name from the past to temper my excitement. 

I thought we had this very same type of player in Jeremy Reed.  Superb minor league numbers (maybe even better), good speed and good defense in CF, a "balls to the wall" grinder. 

Because of injuries, he never became anything even close to what I hoped. 

I can have similar hope now for Eaton, but not going to presume the huge value I expected from Reed.

Jim, Adam Eaton was handed the centerfield job in Arizona last spring until he hurt himself in Spring Training.  While he was on the DL, Parra and Pollock, their fourth and fifth outfielders at the time really stepped up.  Eaton is super fast on the base paths.  He should get better in the stolen base department as he learns to read pitchers.  In the minors, he hit for a good average, but not much power.  He is not a slap hitter; he does drive the ball and will work a count.  He needs work on defense in the outfield, especially in taking the proper routes on fly balls.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Jim, Adam Eaton was handed the centerfield job in Arizona last spring until he hurt himself in Spring Training.  While he was on the DL, Parra and Pollock, their fourth and fifth outfielders at the time really stepped up.  Eaton is super fast on the base paths.  He should get better in the stolen base department as he learns to read pitchers.  In the minors, he hit for a good average, but not much power.  He is not a slap hitter; he does drive the ball and will work a count.  He needs work on defense in the outfield, especially in taking the proper routes on fly balls.>>

Eaton may very well be the real deal based on what he did in the minors. His injuries hurt his numbers last year but he has the right ingredients for success in the majors. 
    As a D-BAck fan, Mart, I'm wondering whether you are happy with Ariz's returns on this deal - giving up two promising youngsters for a guy who resembles Adam Dunn, but is even worse because he never walks. 
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Sorry - had to re-post as the other came out microscopic
    Jim, Adam Eaton was handed the centerfield job in Arizona last spring until he hurt himself in Spring Training.  While he was on the DL, Parra and Pollock, their fourth and fifth outfielders at the time really stepped up.  Eaton is super fast on the base paths.  He should get better in the stolen base department as he learns to read pitchers.  In the minors, he hit for a good average, but not much power.  He is not a slap hitter; he does drive the ball and will work a count.  He needs work on defense in the outfield, especially in taking the proper routes on fly balls.>>

Eaton may very well be the real deal based on what he did in the minors. His injuries hurt his numbers last year but he has the right ingredients for success in the majors.  As a D-BAck fan, MArt, wondering if you are happy with Arizona's return on this deal
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Roger, I agree with your questioning of this trade from AZ's standpoint.

Giving Eaton and Skaggs is an awful lot to give for Trumbo, ESPECIALLY since he is going to have to be in the outfield unless Goldschmidt will move, and I think that is highly unlikely.  That was the type of trade I fully would have expected Kenny to make.  So far, no problems at all with Hahn.  I was afraid when I heard of this deal he let them talk him into Quintana.  When I heard it was Santiago, I was very pleased.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:06 pm

rmapasad wrote:Sorry - had to re-post as the other came out microscopic

Eaton may very well be the real deal based on what he did in the minors. His injuries hurt his numbers last year but he has the right ingredients for success in the majors.  As a D-BAck fan, MArt, wondering if you are happy with Arizona's return on this deal

Roger's post... it still came out pretty small.....

Jim, Adam Eaton was handed the centerfield job in Arizona last spring until he hurt himself in Spring Training.  While he was on the DL, Parra and Pollock, their fourth and fifth outfielders at the time really stepped up.  Eaton is super fast on the base paths.  He should get better in the stolen base department as he learns to read pitchers.  In the minors, he hit for a good average, but not much power.  He is not a slap hitter; he does drive the ball and will work a count.  He needs work on defense in the outfield, especially in taking the proper routes on fly balls.>>

Eaton may very well be the real deal based on what he did in the minors. His injuries hurt his numbers last year but he has the right ingredients for success in the majors.
    As a D-BAck fan, Mart, I'm wondering whether you are happy with Ariz's returns on this deal - giving up two promising youngsters for a guy who resembles Adam Dunn, but is even worse because he never walks.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:11 pm

rmapasad wrote:Eaton may very well be the real deal based on what he did in the minors. His injuries hurt his numbers last year but he has the right ingredients for success in the majors. 
    As a D-BAck fan, Mart, I'm wondering whether you are happy with Ariz's returns on this deal - giving up two promising youngsters for a guy who resembles Adam Dunn, but is even worse because he never walks. 

Roger, the Dbacks wanted a power hitter to protect Goldschmidt in the lineup.  I'm not a big fan of Trumbo, but he should hit 35+ homers next season for them along with a ton of strikeout.  Eaton, who is a faster but less powerful version of Parra and Pollock (neither of whom are power hitters), probably wasn't going to get much playing time in Arizona.  Trumbo would probably hit more HRs than those three put together.  The same goes for Skaggs not getting much future opportunity in Arizona due to the Dbacks' depth in starting pitchers.  Still, Eaton and Skaggs are two highly rated prospects.  The Dbacks have 2 more players to receive in the deal; so in the end, it may not seem as bad a trade for them as it seems now.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:30 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    The Dbacks have 2 more players to receive in the deal; so in the end, it may not seem as bad a trade for them as it seems now.[/size]

I've heard the Sox PTBNL is OF Brandon Jacobs, one of the guys we got last year from Boston iirc.

Then the other is I believe a pitcher from the Angels I'd never heard of, A.J. or A.P. Schagle or Schugel or something like that.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:27 am

Jesus Roger, you can give us a complex statistical analysis as to how the quantity of butt sweat The Oaf might shed over the course of a month can directly impact his on-base percentage and yet you can't figure out how to get a font to work properly on your end??  Laughing I've done an in-depth study of my own and have come to the conclusion that there's no more than a 50% probability that you'll get this issue resolved within the next 24 hours.  study 
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:34 am

Jesus Roger, you can give us a complex statistical analysis as to how the quantity of butt sweat The Oaf might shed over the course of a month can directly impact his on-base percentage and yet you can't figure out how to get a font to work properly on your end??   I've done an in-depth study of my own and have come to the conclusion that there's no more than a 50% probability that you'll get this issue resolved within the next 24 hours

Some things are still a mystery to me !! 
    On another note, getting Adam Eaton and shedding Brandon Jacobs (who was the "big haul" in the Peavy deal) may be a sign that Hahn is paying more attention to guys who get on base and is moving away from the athletic power guys who whiff every other AB

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:45 am

rmapasad wrote:
    On another note, getting Adam Eaton and shedding Brandon Jacobs (who was the "big haul" in the Peavy deal) may be a sign that Hahn is paying more attention to guys who get on base and is moving away from the athletic power guys who whiff every other AB

Give the Dbacks a year to get sick and tired of Trumbo, and he'll be in a White Sox uniform in 2015.  After all, the Sox brain trust (Reinsdorf and Williams) will want to replace Adam Dunn's "big breeze" in the Windy City.  Crying or Very sad 
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:36 am

Come this October 2014, I hereby decree that the name of Adam Dunn be stricken from ALL records and documentation of the Chicago White Sox and that his name never be uttered again in reference to this team. From that day henceforth, it will be as though he never existed as a player for the Chicago White Sox. Let it be written. Let it be done.
    Father of Satan
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Father of Satan on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:38 am

Cream1953 wrote:Come this October 2014, I hereby decree that the name of Adam Dunn be stricken from ALL records and documentation of the Chicago White Sox and that his name never be uttered again in reference to this team. From that day henceforth, it will be as though he never existed as a player for the Chicago White Sox. Let it be written. Let it be done.

FIE! You will be seeing Adam Dunn in your dreams until the day you come to the underworld!

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:23 pm

rmapasad wrote:Jesus Roger, you can give us a complex statistical analysis as to how the quantity of butt sweat The Oaf might shed over the course of a month can directly impact his on-base percentage and yet you can't figure out how to get a font to work properly on your end??   I've done an in-depth study of my own and have come to the conclusion that there's no more than a 50% probability that you'll get this issue resolved within the next 24 hours

Some things are still a mystery to me !! 

Jacobs came in the Thornton deal. A. Garcia came in the Peavy deal.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:24 pm

From Bleacher Report...

Players with the traits of an Adam Eaton are few and far between. Aside from his on-base ability (career .450 OBP in the minors), he has no plus tools. But he could play solid defense in center field, steal 30 bases, score 100-plus runs and hit 10 homers, 10 triples and 30 doubles annually. 
    The 25-year-old is also the kind of "dirtbag baseball player," as general manager Rick Hahn called him, that the city of Chicago will love watching play on a daily basis.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Wonderful!! That last paragraph is almost EXACTLY what they said about the great Nick Swisher!!! As it turned out, you could leave off the "baseball player" in Swisher's case and keep the "dirtbag" part.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Wonderful!! That last paragraph is almost EXACTLY what they said about the great Nick Swisher!!! As it turned out, you could leave off the "baseball player" in Swisher's case and keep the "dirtbag" part. >>

Swisher and Eaton aren't similar type ballplayers except maybe for this "dirtbag" label.  But not sure what the hell that means, or more importantly what that has to do with a guy helping a team win games.  
    Re: Swisher. Understand why he got the rep of being a stiff with Sox fans, as his one year with the Sox was by far his worst ever.  But sandwiched around the Sox season, rest of Swisher's career has been one of a solid, dependable hitter - consistently on base 35-37% of the time with 20-25 HR's.  This is nothing extra special for a corner OFer/1bman but it's enough to rightfully keep his job. Not sure why he fumbled things so badly with Sox. 

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:07 pm

The 25-year-old is also the kind of "dirtbag baseball player," as general manager Rick Hahn called him, that the city of Chicago will love watching play on a daily basis

Maybe that's why Chicago teams LOSE? we should love watching someone with a lot of baseball talent rather than a "dirtbag baseball player'.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm fucking tired of "grinders". All that word means is that you're not all that talented to begin with but you play hard. In other words you can be had for cheap and if you get lucky you're considered an overachiever. Tailor made for a dog and pony show like the White Sox. The hell with all...I'm with Sharpy. Give me some players with actual talent for the game.
    Father of Satan
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Father of Satan on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:58 am

Cream1953 wrote:I'm fucking tired of "grinders". All that word means is that you're not all that talented to begin with but you play hard. In other words you can be had for cheap and if you get lucky you're considered an overachiever. Tailor made for a dog and pony show like the White Sox. The hell with all...I'm with Sharpy. Give me some players with actual talent for the game.  

You will accept what I give you!
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:44 am

Keep getting younger is fine by me.

The dumbest thing they could have done was try and get that Gardner from the Yankees who will be a free agent after 2014.

They are REBUILDING without using the word.
    chisoxkid
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by chisoxkid on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:08 am

I agree with keep getting younger... especially when they're getting guys who are as major-league ready as they'll be with Abreu, Garcia and Eaton.  Can possibly accelerate this rebuilding process if they all come through

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:51 am

chisoxkid wrote:I agree with keep getting younger... especially when they're getting guys who are as major-league ready as they'll be with Abreu, Garcia and Eaton.  Can possibly accelerate this rebuilding process if they all come through

This off season has proved to me  that Hahn is really running the show. If Kenny was still calling the shots he would have got screwed on the Peavy deal and signed Granderson and made a play for Trumbo.

chisoxkid
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by chisoxkid on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Maybe Kenny's promotion was just to get him the hell out of the way after all?  Of course if that's what it really was then I don't know why he wouldn't have just been fired to begin with...
    s0ch0a
    Kenny's Draft Choice

Post by s0ch0a on Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:29 am

Nomads44 wrote:From Bleacher Report...

Players with the traits of an Adam Eaton are few and far between. Aside from his on-base ability (career .450 OBP in the minors), he has no plus tools. But he could play solid defense in center field, steal 30 bases, score 100-plus runs and hit 10 homers, 10 triples and 30 doubles annually. 
    The 25-year-old is also the kind of "dirtbag baseball player," as general manager Rick Hahn called him, that the city of Chicago will love watching play on a daily basis.
    Oh, another Nick Swisher? Great to have another "grinder". <groan>

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:41 pm