Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

What a STIFF!!!!!

Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

What a STIFF!!!!!

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:39 am

Former #1 Draft Selection Jared Mitchell, in his 6th year in the mighty White Sox organization, is reporting to the Arizona Fall League. His 2013 stats were fabulous....batted .167 with 123 strikeouts in 90 games between Birmingham and Charlotte.
    Damn, I sure would have gone to the exhibition game in Milwaukee if I knew this guy was this impressive and they brought him.

Who needed to draft Mike Trout when Jared Mitchell was available ON THE CHEAP??????
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: What a STIFF!!!!!

Post by alohafri on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:56 am

Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Former #1 Draft Selection Jared Mitchell, in his 6th year in the mighty White Sox organization, is reporting to the Arizona Fall League.  His 2013 stats were fabulous....batted .167 with 123 strikeouts in 90 games between Birmingham and Charlotte.
    Damn, I sure would have gone to the exhibition game in Milwaukee if I knew this guy was this impressive and they brought him.

Who needed to draft Mike Trout when Jared Mitchell was available ON THE CHEAP??????
    But boy, could he run a 40!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:43 am

Bobby, he just needs a little more time to develop in the minors.  Be patient....

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:31 am

If Herb Washington and Odney McRAY COULD HAVE MLB careers, why not Mitchell?!?!?

I take Mitchell over any 12th pitcher, excet for maybe Septimo who I believe is the better hitter
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:47 pm

This STIFF is ON THE CHEAP!!!

Why pay Mike Trout???
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:10 pm

THE KARK wrote:If Herb Washington and Odney McRAY COULD HAVE MLB careers, why not Mitchell?!?!?

I take Mitchell over any 12th pitcher, excet for maybe Septimo who I believe is the better hitter
    Mitchell has been plagued with injuries since he signed with the Sox but that doesn't really excuse his absurdly high strikeout totals (35% this year). That's especially bad for a guy who has no power and whose main (actually only) strength is speed.  Guys like that have to hit for average by avoiding excessive K's.  Mitchell is a .221 career hitter in the minors and 24 years old.  The word "bust" has a picture of Mitchell next to it in the dictionary.

It's not like the Sox didn't have fair warning of this before they drafted him. He only managed to bat over .300 once (and then it was only .327) in college.  His college career BA was .295 where 1st Rders are typically .350-.400 hitters in college.  Mitchell didn't crack double digit HRs until his last year and was striking out almost 1/4 of the time.  Josh Phegley, who was drafted 15 spots below Mitchell by contrast had a .354 career avg in college and struck out only 10% of the time.  Phegley, of course, is struggling like hell in the majors so imagine how that bodes for Mitchell.
    As a measure of just how bad this draft pick was, all 12 position players  who were drafted after Mitchell are still viable prospects and 6 of those guys (including Trout and Phegley) have reached the majors and most of them are 1-2 yr. younger than Mitchell.  Yikes.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:34 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    THE KARK wrote:If Herb Washington and Odney McRAY COULD HAVE MLB careers, why not Mitchell?!?!?

Mitchell has been plagued with injuries since he signed with the Sox but that doesn't really excuse his absurdly high strikeout totals (35% this year). That's especially bad for a guy who has no power and whose main (actually only) strength is speed.  Guys like that have to hit for average by avoiding excessive K's.  Mitchell is a .221 career hitter in the minors and 24 years old.  The word "bust" has a picture of Mitchell next to it in the dictionary.

It's not like the Sox didn't have fair warning of this before they drafted him. He only managed to bat over .300 once (and then it was only .327) in college.  His college career BA was .295 where 1st Rders are typically .350-.400 hitters in college.  Mitchell didn't crack double digit HRs until his last year and was striking out almost 1/4 of the time.  Josh Phegley, who was drafted 15 spots below Mitchell by contrast had a .354 career avg in college and struck out only 10% of the time.  Phegley, of course, is struggling like hell in the majors so imagine how that bodes for Mitchell.
    As a measure of just how bad this draft pick was, all 12 position players  who were drafted after Mitchell are still viable prospects and 6 of those guys (including Trout and Phegley) have reached the majors and most of them are 1-2 yr. younger than Mitchell.  Yikes.
    Wow.  This sure reads like an indictment of Sox scouting abilities.  A singles hitter who struck out 25% of the time against college level talent????  You can leg out a groundball but unless you're AJ, you can't leg out a K.  Sox did this kid no favors by drafting him and making him believe he had talent.  Sounds like someone needed to be the Simon Cowell and tell him he stunk.  He could have been 2-3 years into some different career by now.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:39 pm

jaywit wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

Wow.  This sure reads like an indictment of Sox scouting abilities.  A singles hitter who struck out 25% of the time against college level talent????  You can leg out a groundball but unless you're AJ, you can't leg out a K.  Sox did this kid no favors by drafting him and making him believe he had talent.  Sounds like someone needed to be the Simon Cowell and tell him he stunk.  He could have been 2-3 years into some different career by now.

Is Ed Farmer still scouting for them from the radio booth in his California sandles?

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:59 pm

rmapasad wrote:

actually Roger,

my point is that, assuming Mitchell can run and play defense, I'd rather have him as the 25th man than carry 12 pitchers

Remember Mike Squires in 1983.  something like 145 games played but only about 150 plate appearances.  That's what I would do with a Mitchell type.

where is it written players on the bench have to hit?  As for letting his bat rust away on the bench, Mother Nature beat us to it

give me Jared Mitchell pinch running for adam dunn instead of septimo coming in to face one lefty and completely missing the strike zone with every pitch

NOTE TO ROSEBOWL:  SAYING MITCHELL CAN BE THE NEXT HERB WASHINGTON IS NOT MEANT TO BE CONSIDERED SOME SORT OF RINGING ENDORSEMENT

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:18 pm

THE KARK wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

actually Roger,

my point is that, assuming Mitchell can run and play defense, I'd rather have him as the 25th man than carry 12 pitchers

Remember Mike Squires in 1983.  something like 145 games played but only about 150 plate appearances.  That's what I would do with a Mitchell type.

where is it written players on the bench have to hit?  As for letting his bat rust away on the bench, Mother Nature beat us to it

give me Jared Mitchell pinch running for adam dunn instead of septimo coming in to face one lefty and completely missing the strike zone with every pitch

NOTE TO ROSEBOWL:  SAYING MITCHELL CAN BE THE NEXT HERB WASHINGTON IS NOT MEANT TO BE CONSIDERED SOME SORT OF RINGING ENDORSEMENT

Jordan Danks can fill that role.

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:53 pm

On this team, Jordan Danks is probably the 4th OF. Which is completely different from 25th man. And Winston, guys like Matt Lindstrom caneasily pitch an extra 1/3 of an inning and keep the Septimo's of the wrld in AAA

BTW, what was Mitchell's position in football and does he still have the speed to try out for the Bears
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Win Now 2014 will be the greatest!!

Get useless fucks off the non tendered list and Rule 5 guys, too.

Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:15 pm

The White Sox are so damned impressive that they can afford the luxury of a designated pinch runner!!!
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:34 pm

actually Roger,
    my point is that, assuming Mitchell can run and play defense, I'd rather have him as the 25th man than carry 12 pitchers  Remember Mike Squires in 1983.  something like 145 games played but only about 150 plate appearances.  That's what I would do with a Mitchell type.
    where is it written players on the bench have to hit?  As for letting his bat rust away on the bench, Mother Nature beat us to it  give me Jared Mitchell pinch running for adam dunn instead of septimo coming in to face one lefty and completely missing the strike zone with every pitch   >>

See your point, Kark, in that a couple playoff teams now (Dodgers with Gordon and Red Sox with Berry) have designated pinch runners.   But they came up for Sept roster expansion and then stuck for playoffs when teams pare down their relief pitchers (because they can use 4th/5th starters as relievers then).
    Clubs typically don't have pinch runner/defensive types on the regular season roster though.  Think the reason is that they want their 4th OFer to be capable of filling in one or two games a week so that starters can be rested and/or someone who can plug in for a couple games in case a starter  gets gimpy but is not DLed.  That sub should not be some 550 OPS type.
    Other point is the ease of finding such guys.   Berry was a 5th round draft pick, and Red Sox traded a bag of beans to get him from the Royals in August.   Mitchell was a first round draft pick, and it was clear from the get-go that while he was speedy, his bat was far from a sure thing.  Does this really make sense ?
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:35 pm

What makes perfect sense is that Mitchell is a useless STIFF for an organization loaded with STIFFS.

Mitchell would have sold 2 or 3 tickets to the Sox exhibition games in Milwaukee this Spring to fans fascinated with the latest STIFF.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:16 am