Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Go River Bandits

alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Go River Bandits

Post by alohafri on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:44 pm

They took the first round in the Midwest League playoffs against the Cedar Rapids Kernels, the A affiliate of the Minnesota Twins.

Next up, the Beloit Snappers, affiliate of the Oakland A's.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: Go River Bandits

Post by alohafri on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:42 pm

alohafri wrote:
    They took the first round in the Midwest League playoffs against the Cedar Rapids Kernels, the A affiliate of the Minnesota Twins.

Next up, the Beloit Snappers, affiliate of the Oakland A's.
    Snappers down. Next up, the South Bend Silver Hawks, afffiliated with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Next up, the South Bend Silver Hawks, afffiliated with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

My local team and previously a White Sox affiliate.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Next up, the South Bend Silver Hawks, afffiliated with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Was it Coveleski Field in South Bend?  Was it named after Stan?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Next up, the South Bend Silver Hawks, afffiliated with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Really? I had no idea the Sox were in the Midwest League. Too bad they still aren't.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:17 pm

alohafri wrote:

Really? I had no idea the Sox were in the Midwest League. Too bad they still aren't.
    Before South Bend, they were the Appleton Foxes, and maybe even another team name.  I was scoring in the Midwest League for awhile off and on from the early/mid'80's until the early 90's and I think the Sox were both Appleton and South Bend during that timeframe.  I may have told here my story about Johnny Boles and Vince Coleman.  I'll have to look up the date and team names.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Before South Bend, they were the Appleton Foxes, and maybe even another team name.  I was scoring in the Midwest League for awhile off and on from the early/mid'80's until the early 90's and I think the Sox were both Appleton and South Bend during that timeframe.  I may have told here my story about Johnny Boles and Vince Coleman.  I'll have to look up the date and team names.

Terry Forster and Rich (Goose) Gossage started for Appleton in the '70's.
    Scott Radinsky pitched in relief for South Bend in 1989 or 1990.

Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Was it Coveleski Field in South Bend?  Was it named after Stan?

Indeed it is Jim. In fact, the "formal" name of the stadium is Stanley Coveleski Regional Stadium. However, the locals simply refer to it as "The Cove".

I remember the big deal that was made some years back when Carlton Fisk played a post-injury rehab game at The Cove. I think it took all of 5 minutes for that game to sell out. I, unfortunately, wasn't able to score a ticket. If I recall, Pudge belted a home run in his first at bat. I guess he was healed. lol

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Back in the 60's the Sox had most of their minor league teams in the Midwest. Indianapolis was their  AAA team. They should have never moved out of there. They could have built a fan bas like the Cubs have done in Iowa. Typical Sox, having their AAA teams in places like Tucson, Edmonton and Charlotte.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:51 pm

I've never understood why Indianapolis has never had a major league baseball team. It's something  like the 13th largest city in the country and has easily and successfully supported teams in both the NBA and NFL.
    chisoxkid
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by chisoxkid on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Cream1953 wrote:I've never understood why Indianapolis has never had a major league baseball team. It's something  like the 13th largest city in the country and has easily and successfully supported teams in both the NBA and NFL.
    Maybe Reinsdorf will eventually threaten to move the Sox there if us fans don't start coming to games...

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:22 am

Cream1953 wrote:I've never understood why Indianapolis has never had a major league baseball team. It's something  like the 13th largest city in the country and has easily and successfully supported teams in both the NBA and NFL.
    Like many AAA teams, Columbus included, they have a beautiful ballpark.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:54 am

winstonage wrote:Back in the 60's the Sox had most of their minor league teams in the Midwest. Indianapolis was their  AAA team. They should have never moved out of there. They could have built a fan bas like the Cubs have done in Iowa. Typical Sox, having their AAA teams in places like Tucson, Edmonton and Charlotte.
    I fully agree with that.  In my younger driving years, I often wished we had clubs in Indy, South Bend, Beloit or Peoria. 

A AAA in Indianapolis and a AA somewhere near Missouri or Kentucky with an A in Peoria, Beloit, South Bend, Quincy ... even Danville or here in Springfield would have had Sox fans following the farm system and draft picks so much more closely.  How many of you from Chicago make it to any of their minor league games?  I've never unless they were visiting Springfield.

The AA with only Texas, Eastern and Southern Leagues does not seem to serve the whole of the country very well, and that is where the best prospects seem to have been in the last few decades.

Springfield had AAA baseball for a couple years in the late 70's, but even then it was a lot of AAAA players that had had cups of coffee but did not show a lot of long range promise passed through.  For the Sox, guys like OF Rusty Torres and 1B Reggie Sanders (Tiger 1B, not Reds OF), C Mike Colbern, OF Henry Cruz, 3B Kevin Bell, hopeful young P's Ken Kravec, Jack Kucek, Steve Trout, Rick Wortham, Ross Baumgarten.  Things to pin hopes on, but nothing that turned out being special.  Squires I think also passed through, but with no power was not much to be excited about at the time.  I expected the most out of Rusty Torres from that group.

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:32 pm

I've always felt the MLB should expand to 32 teams then go with 4 divisions in each league and eliminate the wildcard

Indianapolis sounds like a good choice for one of the teams
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:56 am

There's a dynasty a-brewing! Second Midwest League championship in three years...and with two different major league affiliates!
    cheers cheers cheers 
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:29 am

Father of Stan wrote:
    I've always felt the MLB should expand to 32 teams then go with 4 divisions in each league and eliminate the wildcard

That'd be too fucking simple for the MLB.  They'd even muck that up and add a couple wild cards in each league and then be trying to have a playoff with 6 teams in each of the leagues.

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Lots of good choices. Columbus would be one, but Cleveland and cincy would never agree to it. Louisville is a great city, memphis had a beautiful park, as does Las Vegas.. San Antonio would be a good city, tho not sure how baseball is viewed in that nba city and football state. I m sure there are more cities that could be successful. In fact, get the rays out of Florida and admit it was a mistake.

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    Father of Stan wrote:

That'd be too fucking simple for the MLB.  They'd even muck that up and add a couple wild cards in each league and then be trying to have a playoff with 6 teams in each of the leagues.
    MUST YOU PISS ON EVERYTHING I SAY

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:10 pm