Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

The other Garcia - Leury

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

The other Garcia - Leury

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Here are a few things that I've been able to garner from Baseball America 2013 Prospect Handbook and Baseball Prospectus 2013 on Leury Garcia, the prospect that the Sox got from the Rangers for Alex Rios.  Both publications speak of his tremendous speed and his extremely strong throwing arm.  Besides playing 2B, SS, and CF, Baseball Prospectus mentions that he played 3B in winter ball and can handle all these positions at "a high level" defensively.  Basball America describes his play at shortstop as "flashy" with good range in both directions while saying that he has gap power with the bat.  He is also a switch hitter.

With Baseball America rating him at #20 among Texas prospects, there's got to be some flies in the ointment.  First, his swing tends to be long, especially from the left side.  Ranger instuctors have tried to get him to hit the ball more on the ground and take more walks in order to take advantage of his exceptional speed.  He seems to have balked at that as it was said by one of his coaches, "the hitter Garcia should be is not the hitter he wants to be."  This reminds me of former Dback highly-rated pitching prospect Trevor Bauer (now in the Cleveland system) who stubbornly didn't want to take advice, i.e., basically uncoachable.  This might be a bad rap on Garcia, though, as he does seem to have a good work ethic and has strived to improve, although not as much as Texas may have wanted.

Garcia is seen as a super sub rather than a regular. His height is only 5'7" which means a lot of line drives going for base hits over his head during the course of a season.  By comparison, Alexei Ramirez is 7 inches taller at 6'2''.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Re: The other Garcia - Leury

Post by sox55 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:25 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:Here are a few things that I've been able to garner from Baseball America 2013 Prospect Handbook and Baseball Prospectus 2013 on Leury Garcia, the prospect that the Sox got from the Rangers for Alex Rios.  Both publications speak of his tremendous speed and his extremely strong throwing arm.  Besides playing 2B, SS, and CF, Baseball Prospectus mentions that he played 3B in winter ball and can handle all these positions at "a high level" defensively.  Basball America describes his play at shortstop as "flashy" with good range in both directions while saying that he has gap power with the bat.  He is also a switch hitter.

With Baseball America rating him at #20 among Texas prospects, there's got to be some flies in the ointment.  First, his swing tends to be long, especially from the left side.  Ranger instuctors have tried to get him to hit the ball more on the ground and take more walks in order to take advantage of his exceptional speed.  He seems to have balked at that as it was said by one of his coaches, "the hitter Garcia should be is not the hitter he wants to be."  This reminds me of former Dback highly-rated pitching prospect Trevor Bauer (now in the Cleveland system) who stubbornly didn't want to take advice, i.e., basically uncoachable.  This might be a bad rap on Garcia, though, as he does seem to have a good work ethic and has strived to improve, although not as much as Texas may have wanted.

Garcia is seen as a super sub rather than a regular. His height is only 5'7" which means a lot of line drives going for base hits over his head during the course of a season.  By comparison, Alexei Ramirez is 7 inches taller at 6'2''.

If he becomes a "super-sub" then it was a very good trade for the Sox in a deal that was good enough just to drop payroll $$.....That said, THIS Garcia actually made the Texas Rangers squad out of spring training this year so they must have thought something of him.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:49 pm

sox55 wrote:
     If he becomes a "super-sub" then it was a very good trade for the Sox in a deal that was good enough just to drop payroll $$.....That said, THIS Garcia actually made the Texas Rangers squad out of spring training this year so they must have thought something of him.
    The Sox must think a lot of Leury Garcia too, John, because when Texas claimed Rios off waivers, the Sox could have just taken the waiver fee from Texas and let Rios go instead of agreeing to pay $1 million towards his contract in order to get Leury Garcia.  The guy has much going for him - speed, defensive prowess, multi-positional; but like the vast majority of prospects, he's not quite the total package.

As far as height goes, Houston has a great little second baseman in Jose Altuve who is only 5'5".  Many "experts" discounted him because of his height, but he has played his way into becoming an important part of the Astros' rebuilding process.

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:07 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:Both publications speak of his tremendous speed and his extremely strong throwing arm. 

First, his swing tends to be long, especially from the left side.  Ranger instuctors have tried to get him to hit the ball more on the ground and take more walks in order to take advantage of his exceptional speed.  He seems to have balked at that as it was said by one of his coaches, "the hitter Garcia should be is not the hitter he wants to be."  This reminds me of former Dback highly-rated pitching prospect Trevor Bauer (now in the Cleveland system) who stubbornly didn't want to take advice, i.e., basically uncoachable.   .

Garcia is seen as a super sub rather than a regular.
    Sounds like a future CLOSER!........       Razz 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:35 am