Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Share
    avatar
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1926
    Join date : 2011-07-27
    Location : Bacardi Club

    Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:06 pm

    Comparing Oaf Dunn to FRANK THOMAS.

    frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2469
    Join date : 2009-04-05

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by frank bonifacic on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:52 pm

    Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Comparing Oaf Dunn to FRANK THOMAS.
     Well, they both played football, started as outfielders and are big !
    avatar
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 6166
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 63
    Location : Elkhart, IN.

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Cream1953 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:44 pm

    Sounds like something "The Coach" would say. Is he on that board??
    avatar
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 7299
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 51
    Location : St. Charles, IL

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:54 pm

    Even Coach is way smarter than that.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7091
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by alohafri on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:42 pm

    Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Comparing Oaf Dunn to FRANK THOMAS.
     Not only that, but he is claiming that Frank didn't get a ring in 2005.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Guest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:34 pm

    Soxillinirob wrote:Even Coach is way smarter than that.

    The Coach is smarter than most

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Guest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:38 pm

    alohafri wrote:
    Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Comparing Oaf Dunn to FRANK THOMAS.
     Not only that, but he is claiming that Frank didn't get a ring in 2005.

    Well he want on the post season roster.

    If memory serves, Thomas played about a month. 2 of those weeks he carried the team. The lst 2 he was HR or nothing.

    So, I guess Adam Dunn is the equivalent of the worst fortnight of Frank Thomas career

    MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 4295
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Location : Area 51

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 pm

    THE KARK wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Comparing Oaf Dunn to FRANK THOMAS.
     Not only that, but he is claiming that Frank didn't get a ring in 2005.
    Well he want on the post season roster.

    If memory serves, Thomas played about a month.  2 of those weeks he carried the team.  The lst 2 he was HR or nothing.

    So, I guess Adam Dunn is the equivalent of the worst fortnight of Frank Thomas career
    The Sox wouldn't have made the playoffs, let alone win the World Series, if Frank didn't hit the shit out of the ball in the summer of 2005. Yes, he did get a ring, and he certainly deserved it.

    Amazing that there are still haters of the Big Hurt out there. I guess a lot of gullible idiots swallowed the bullshit put out by jealous jackasses like Kenny Williams and Jerry Manuel. To even mention Dunn and Thomas in the same sentence is obscene.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Guest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:29 pm

    Well MART, since you re quoting me, Hope you ain't implying I'm a Thomas hater.

    I believe my memory of Thomas in 2005 is roughly accurate.

    So not sure if you misunderstood by backhanded insult to Dunn, or just figure this was a good place to rant

    BTW, you also put Dunn and Thomas in the same sentence. :-p

    MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 4295
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Location : Area 51

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:41 pm

    THE KARK wrote:Well MART, since you re quoting me, Hope you ain't implying I'm a Thomas hater.  

    I believe my memory of Thomas in 2005 is roughly accurate.

    So not sure if you misunderstood by backhanded insult to Dunn, or just figure this was a good place to rant

    BTW, you also put Dunn and Thomas in the same sentence. :-p
    No, Kark.  I know you're not a Big Hurt hater.  I'm not dissin' you this time. Smile Rather I'm referring to whomever would view Adam Dunn in the same class as Frank Thomas.

    Like you, I recall when Thomas was carrying the team for awhile during 2005 with several big hits although he only batted .219 that season. He had 12 homers in 105 at-bats.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Guest on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:10 am

    Loudest 219 in history. Just imagine if he could stand on both legs that year.

    Crying Shame they let him walk.

    BTW, I think Ozzie was a Hurt Hater as well
    avatar
    sox55
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1869
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 61
    Location : Pleasant Prairie , WI

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by sox55 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:09 am

    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    THE KARK wrote:Well MART, since you re quoting me, Hope you ain't implying I'm a Thomas hater.  

    I believe my memory of Thomas in 2005 is roughly accurate.

    So not sure if you misunderstood by backhanded insult to Dunn, or just figure this was a good place to rant

    BTW, you also put Dunn and Thomas in the same sentence. :-p
    No, Kark.  I know you're not a Big Hurt hater.  I'm not dissin' you this time. Smile Rather I'm referring to whomever would view Adam Dunn in the same class as Frank Thomas.

    Like you, I recall when Thomas was carrying the team for awhile during 2005 with several big hits although he only batted .219 that season.  He had 12 homers in 105 at-bats.
    Frank Thomas is arguably the BEST RH HITTER of ALL-TIME and to compare Adam Dunn to him in ANY way ,shape, or form is an insult to Frank.

    MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 4295
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Location : Area 51

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:02 pm

    sox55 wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    THE KARK wrote:Well MART, since you re quoting me, Hope you ain't implying I'm a Thomas hater.  

    I believe my memory of Thomas in 2005 is roughly accurate.

    So not sure if you misunderstood by backhanded insult to Dunn, or just figure this was a good place to rant

    BTW, you also put Dunn and Thomas in the same sentence. :-p
    No, Kark.  I know you're not a Big Hurt hater.  I'm not dissin' you this time. Smile Rather I'm referring to whomever would view Adam Dunn in the same class as Frank Thomas.

    Like you, I recall when Thomas was carrying the team for awhile during 2005 with several big hits although he only batted .219 that season.  He had 12 homers in 105 at-bats.
    Frank Thomas is arguably the BEST RH HITTER of ALL-TIME and to compare Adam Dunn to him in ANY way ,shape, or form is an insult to Frank.
     John, maybe the guy, who probably never saw Frank Thomas hit, noticed that Frank's nickname was "The Big Hurt" and figured Dunn had to be a bigger hurt for the chances of whatever team he played for.  As such, Dunn is "The Humongous Hurt". Mad 
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2325
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by rmapasad on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:54 pm

    undefined wrote:Frank Thomas is arguably the BEST RH HITTER of ALL-TIME and to compare Adam Dunn to him in ANY way ,shape, or form is an insult to Frank.
     It's an interesting argument re:Thomas, because he was probably one of the five greatest RHed hitters of alltime.  Hornsby, Foxx, Mays, and Pujols  have better overall numbers.  Frank is lumped in a group that are separated by razor thin margin - Aaron, DiMaggio, Ott, Frank Robinson, Mize, and more recently Miguel Cabrera, Manny Ramirez, and Mark McGwire.  Of course Manny and Big Mac are tainted with PED usage but Thomas's career is in pretty heady company.
    Yes, Adam Dunn is nowhere close.
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2325
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by rmapasad on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:56 pm

      As such, Dunn is "The Humongous Hurt"  >>
    Yes, it often hurts to watch him play.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Guest on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:21 pm

    Frank is lumped in a group that are separated by razor thin margin - Aaron, DiMaggio, Ott, Frank Robinson, Mize,





    Mize batted lefty .....
    ...and I don't think anyone can argue convincingly that any right handed hitter was better than 'the rajah'
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2325
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by rmapasad on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:32 pm

    <Mize batted lefty ........and I don't think anyone can argue convincingly that any right handed hitter was better than 'the rajah'  >

     Yeah, had a  brain fart on Mize.  Another little discovery was that another RHed hitter who played for the Sox had the same career adjusted OPS as Thomas - none other than Dick Allen.  Actually saw him play in Comiskey in early 70's, and he was a hitting monster back then. But a real bad-ass guy too. Didn't he quit on the Sox in last month or so of a pennant race or was it another team ?
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 68
    Location : Springfield

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Nomads44 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:56 pm

    rmapasad wrote:<Mize batted lefty ........and I don't think anyone can argue convincingly that any right handed hitter was better than 'the rajah'  >

     Yeah, had a  brain fart on Mize.  Another little discovery was that another RHed hitter who played for the Sox had the same career adjusted OPS as Thomas - none other than Dick Allen.  Actually saw him play in Comiskey in early 70's, and he was a hitting monster back then. But a real bad-ass guy too. Didn't he quit on the Sox in last month or so of a pennant race or was it another team ?
    I think Tanner let him go home to his horses, but I do not remember if it was in a pennant race.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Guest on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:27 am

    1974.  It was a pennant race just like 2010 and 2012

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Guest on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:36 am

    Another little discovery was that another RHed hitter who played for the Sox had the same career adjusted OPS as Thomas - none other than Dick Allen.


    I think next to Mays, who I only saw briefly in his prime as a little kid, the purest hitter I vividly remember was Allen. There is no doubt in my mind that if he didn't have psychological problems, he would have been a first ballot HOFer and viewed as one of the 5 greatest, not only right handed hitters, but ballplayers who ever lived. The man could do anything on the field...run, hit, good defender ...but he was an angry, sullen, tormented dude for some reason, and that clouded his whole career. I think in this day and age, he would have not had those issues and would have been a monster.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Guest on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:14 pm

    Or a roided up freak like barry bonds

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Guest on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:33 pm

    Or a roided up freak like barry bonds


    Possibly...guy was built like a professional boxer is today. Chiseled. No doubt he would have been suspected of juicing.
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 68
    Location : Springfield

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Nomads44 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:50 pm

    Chi-kid wrote:Or a roided up freak like barry bonds


    Possibly...guy was built like a professional boxer is today. Chiseled. No doubt he would have been suspected of juicing.
     Allen on juice??  I'd think young Mr. Bonds would STILL be looking up at him.
    avatar
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1926
    Join date : 2011-07-27
    Location : Bacardi Club

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:42 am

    Allen liked the sauce, not the juice.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7091
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by alohafri on Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:50 pm

    Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Allen liked the sauce, not the juice.
    HE would have drunk Malort with me!

    Sponsored content

    Re: Some Douche on Murph's Board

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:37 pm