Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Boras' players

sox55
    Roof Shot

Boras' players

Post by sox55 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:22 am

The Sunday Tribune Baseball column by Phil Rogers relates that after clearing the salaries of Peavy, Rios, and others this past month, it is time for the White Sox to start dealing with Scott Boras.
    His players include Shin-Soo-Choo and Jacoby Ellsbury.

Last edited by sox55 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong player)

Re: Boras' players

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:12 am

Rick Hahn had a 1/2 discussion with Dan Bernstein Friday. Hahn said that the refusal to deal with Boras is an urban myth. The reason that th Sox have tro7uble with Boras in the freeagent market is that the Sox want to move quickly, were. As Boras likes to drag things out under the belief this will get his client the most money. Hahn said this will make the Sox shy away from a Boras client because dragging things out means that a plan b or c or d my no lonnger be an option if they wait for a boas client to take forever to reach a decision

Hahn also pointed out the Sox have no prob trading for or drafting a Boras client

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:38 pm

THE KARK wrote:Rick Hahn had a 1/2 discussion with Dan Bernstein Friday.  Hahn said that the refusal to deal with Boras is an urban myth.  The reason that th Sox have tro7uble with Boras in the freeagent market is that the Sox want to move quickly, were. As Boras likes to drag things out under the belief this will get his client the most money. Hahn said this will make the Sox shy away from a Boras client because dragging things out means that a plan b or c or d my no lonnger be an option if they wait for a boas client to take forever to reach a decision

Hahn also pointed out the Sox have no prob trading for or drafting a Boras client

That actually makes sense...
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:28 pm

That actually makes sense...

Yes....if it's actually true. Other teams seem to work around the Boras way of doing things ok.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Cream1953 wrote:That actually makes sense...

Yes....if it's actually true. Other teams seem to work around the Boras way of doing things ok.
    Kenny was good at bidding against himself without Boras.  As Bobby has said again and again... who else was in the running for Dunn? With Hahn, maybe the Sox think that will no longer be a concern.

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Kenny was good at bidding against himself without Boras.  As Bobby has said again and again... who else was in the running for Dunn? With Hahn, maybe the Sox think that will no longer be a concern.

This is why I never blame the players for taking the money and put the financial bullshit of MLB solely on the shoulders of the owners.  How can you "bid against yourself"? I know it happens, but are they that stupid?  If Aloha wanted to renegotiate my contract to continue to expound on this board, and he was in a bidding war for my services with Yahoo sports, wouldn't every think that Aloha would set a max limit on what he would give me, and that if the asking price went over the max, he'd wish me well?  Don't these bozos in MLB have a max that they don't exceed? Or does ego just drive them to "get their man at all cost"?
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:21 pm

If Aloha wanted to renegotiate my contract to continue to expound on this board,

You're getting paid for writing on here??? Mad 

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Cream1953 wrote: If Aloha wanted to renegotiate my contract to continue to expound on this board,

oops
    chisoxkid
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by chisoxkid on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Cream1953 wrote:That actually makes sense...

I think it may be partially true, but like you point out... other teams seem to make it work.  Sounds like a way to justify not going after top tier talent to me, because if I were a top free agent (regardless of agent), I would also take a little longer to sign to make sure I can milk every last cent.  If you can offer the most money right off the bat... I wouldn't think you would have too much trouble signing someone you really want.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Cream1953 wrote: If Aloha wanted to renegotiate my contract to continue to expound on this board,

I thought I was paying you for the naked Sarah Michelle Gellar pictures...
    chisoxkid
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by chisoxkid on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:49 am

Jennifer Love Hewitt please....

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:18 am

[b style="text-align: left; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; "]Yes....if it's actually true. Other teams seem to work around the Boras way of doing things ok.[/b]

I think it may be partially true, but like you point out... other teams seem to make it work.  Sounds like a way to justify not going after top tier talent to me, because if I were a top free agent (regardless of agent), I would also take a little longer to sign to make sure I can milk every last cent.  If you can offer the most money right off the bat... I wouldn't think you would have too much trouble signing someone you really want.

You both make sense also. But boras' clients tend to end up in teams who are adding a finishing piece rather than solely depending on that one free agent to make a big difference. Teams like the Yankees, angels, dodgers etc. if they don't sign a boras client they still have high end players already in place so their plan B is less onerous to implement, whereas teams like the Sox would be signing that boras client as a centerpiece. The main guy. And if they wait too long, other possibly "main guy replacements" will be gone. Arod's initial signing with the Yankees is a good example. They could have waited forever for that to fall into place. They already had jeter, riviera, posada, Williams, etc and 3 series wins. They didnt "need" ARod, just wanted him.  

Btw, how relieved do u think the Red Sox are that they didn't get Arod back in 03, like the almost did???????
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:10 pm

Adam the Oaf signed damned fast with the idiot White Sox. I still have the feeling he had NO other offers that early in the Free Agent process!!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:43 pm

chisoxkid wrote:Jennifer Love Hewitt please....
     Her too.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Aloha, you're going to have to fork over some big bucks if you ever want to see the...ahem...tape I made with a certain Ms. Messing.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:05 am

Adam the Oaf signed damned fast with the idiot White Sox. I still have the feeling he had NO other offers that early in the Free Agent process!!!!>>
    Interesting point, as Dunn signed with the Sox in early December 2010 which is barely a month after being granted free agency.  However, two years earlier when he was a free agent (and only 28 yrs old) it wasn't until February that he finally signed with Washington.  And then it was for only 2 years at $ 10 million per. 
    So what transpired in the two years with the Nats that caused Dunn to get snapped up by the Sox two months sooner than before, for twice as long on his prior contract, and for a 40% per year raise ? 
     Hitting-wise his BA had been .264 at Washington v. .247 previously but his OBP had also declined to .356 his last year with the Nats.  Which should have been a red flag, along with the fact that he was 30 and that's an age when big-bodied sluggers start declining.  It was also seemed logical that only AL clubs were going to bid for him as a DH since his stint with Nats proved he was unfit to play the field, even at 1b. 

Maybe the Sox saw him as similar to Jim Thome who had a pretty productive career in his early-mid 30s.  Except that Dunn really was no Jim Thome.  Dunn's career OPS was 65 pts lower at the same age.  
    There were also other cheaper LHed bats in free agency that year - Lance Berkman, Victor Martinez, Aubrey Huff, Adam LaRoche,(who the Nats signed instead of Dunn) and Jim Thome (who signed for only $ 3 mil and one year with the Twins). IIRC, Kenny Williams coveted Dunn, and that fixation  was probably what caused Sox to throw caution to the winds and snap him up for the most lucrative FA contract of all that year

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:55 am