Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Tigers side of the Trade

Tigers side of the Trade

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Unless I am missing something, the Tigers just traded Garcia for Iglesias.

I see Iglesias is hitting over 300 this year, but his career minor league OPS is 622.

How good defensively is Iglesias suppose to be?  Because after a quick eyeball of this kids stats, he looks like a utility infielder to me.

Assuming my assessment is more valid than not, I find it hard to believe that the Tigers would give up a STUD to what is suppose to be their chief rival for a guy who's bat will negate his glove.

So what is the most likely scenario?

1)  The Tigers panic, and ripped themselves off
    2)  Garcia is a stiff who can't find the strike zone

That said, still have to like the trade from the White Sox side.  They dumped $20mil and received 4 rolls of the dice on some high risk, high upside prospect.  And again, that even year magic that KARK fella is in love with is more pretend than contend.  So let's not fret about 2014.  2014 has to be a rebuilding year anyway you slice it

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Tigers side of the Trade

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:Unless I am missing something, the Tigers just traded Garcia for Iglesias.

I see Iglesias is hitting over 300 this year, but his career minor league OPS is 622.

How good defensively is Iglesias suppose to be?  Because after a quick eyeball of this kids stats, he looks like a utility infielder to me.

Assuming my assessment is more valid than not, I find it hard to believe that the Tigers would give up a STUD to what is suppose to be their chief rival for a guy who's bat will negate his glove.

That said, still have to like the trade from the White Sox side.  They dumped $20mil and received 4 rolls of the dice on some high risk, high upside prospect.  And again, that even year magic that KARK fella is in love with is more pretend than contend.  So let's not fret about 2014.  2014 has to be a rebuilding year anyway you slice it

Mark, one of the commentators on ESPN yesterday described Iglesias's defense at shortstop as outstanding saying he could become the best in the American League.  That being said, Detroit may have felt under the gun to make the trade given the looming PED-related suspension of Jhonny Peralta.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:26 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Mark the CPA wrote:Unless I am missing something, the Tigers just traded Garcia for Iglesias.

Mark, one of the commentators on ESPN yesterday described Iglesias's defense at shortstop as outstanding saying he could become the best in the American League.  That being said, Detroit may have felt under the gun to make the trade given the looming PED-related suspension of Jhonny Peralta.

But the guys on Home Plate were saying he couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag. In that regard he would have fit with the White Sox.

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:28 pm

I bet is you ran a Bill James similiarity score of Iglesias, you'd come up with Ozzie Guillen

Maybe that way the Sox didn't want him despite middle infield being much weaker than the outfield for the White Sox
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:25 pm

Unless I am missing something, the Tigers just traded Garcia for Iglesias.
    2)  Garcia is a stiff who can't find the strike zone  >>

Interesting post and you nailed it.  It's a bit of both 1+2.  Tigers need a SS and contenders with a need are prone to overpay.  But Tigers also saw how that Garcia's plate discipline made him iffy, plus they had a better OF prospect in Nick Castellanos. So they didn't fear giving Garcia up even to a division rival.  Tigers probably weren't sure Garcia is a stiff - Dombroski's been around long enough to know you can't really crystal ball a 22 yr old with any degree of precision.  But they clearly saw enough flaws in his game that they decided to peddle him to fill a temporary need. Knowing that they were taking some risk he could develop and become a more valuable player or trade chip.

Boston gave up very little in Iglesias, who they were about to bench anyway (he's hit .128 in his last 15 games) and they had better IF prospects in AAA. 

Sox's big gain was getting rid of Peavy's salary. Despite all the hyping of Garcia's tools and potential, he has to make real strides in plate discipline to have any sort of valuable major league career.  To hope that a guy will correct his flaws is usually a bad bet, IMO.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:43 pm

To hope that a guy will correct his flaws is usually a bad bet, IMO.

*********************************************************************************
    Look for the Sox to stick him in AAA 2-3 years for "seasoning" lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 am