Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Peavy Gone

sox55
    Roof Shot

Peavy Gone

Post by sox55 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Peavy changes his Sox if he passes his physical on Wednesday, No other details yet.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Re: Peavy Gone

Post by Nomads44 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:29 pm

I've seen Peavy to Red Sox, Alexei to Tigers, OF Avisai Garcia to White Sox, SS Julio Iglesias to White Sox, and two prospect P (one from Det, one from Bos) to White Sox.

I think I would have preferred the Wong/Martinez deal from St. Louis, but this may be a nice return, depending on who the two P might be.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Nomads44 wrote:I've seen Peavy to Red Sox, Alexei to Tigers, OF Avisai Garcia to White Sox, SS Julio Iglesias to White Sox, and two prospect P (one from Det, one from Bos) to White Sox.

I think I would have preferred the Wong/Martinez deal from St. Louis, but this may be a nice return, depending on who the two P might be.

Julio Iglesias? Why am I not surprised? At least he can sing...
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:50 pm

Another one says that Iglesias goes to Detroit, Peavy to Boston, Garcia to the ChiSox and the Sox get three non-40 man roster players from the Red Sox.  I'll hope for one or both of 3B Gavin Cecchini or C Blake Swihart.   Garcia plus those two would be a nice haul for Peavy IMHO.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Nomads44 wrote:Another one says that Iglesias goes to Detroit,

Good! Let the Tigers have Julio. He's around 70 years old!
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:58 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:

Good!  Let the Tigers have Julio.  He's around 70 years old!

Well Juan or Jose or whatever his name is.

Dan Hayes just referred to Avisail Garcia as "little Miggy".  I hope that is for talent and not for size only.

Avisail reminded me a bit of and early Sosa or a current Puig when I saw him last year.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:02 pm

I think Hayes just said this is the infielder....

http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/players/cards/80568

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:13 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

Dan Hayes just referred to Avisail Garcia as "little Miggy".  I hope that is for talent and not for size only.

Avisail reminded me a bit of and early Sosa or a current Puig when I saw him last year.

Jim, Avisail Garcia is a very talented player.  He's a big Venezuelan (6'4", 240 lbs.) with power and speed.  Baseball America rated him as Detroit's #2 prospect this year.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:18 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

Jim, Avisail Garcia is a very talented player.  He's a big Venezuelan (6'4", 240 lbs.) with power and speed.  Baseball America rated him as Detroit's #2 prospect this year.

Mart, is he a CF candidate?  Sounds too big for one, but if he can run and throw well, maybe he'll be better than any we have had lately.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:20 pm

A trade recap with the other three names mentioned.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130730&content_id=55335864&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

Mart, is he a CF candidate?  Sounds too big for one, but if he can run and throw well, maybe he'll be better than any we have had lately.

According to Baseball America 2013 Prospect Handbook, Garcia played 44 games last season in CF at AA.  He probably projects more as a right fielder.  He has a strong arm.  They say he has All-star potential but must improve his plate discipline as he's an aggressive free swinger who strikes out a lot.  Basically, he's a work in progress - but the potential in certainly present.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

This is the first time in weeks I've found something interesting about the Sox.  Garcia sounds quite interesting and may find the home run friendly Cell quite to his liking.  Also, they don't play football in Venezuela so the size of this guy may be all packaged with BASEBALL talent.  Now, I'll actually tune in to watch.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:33 pm

he's an aggressive free swinger who strikes out a lot. 

He'll find a lot of soul mates on the White Sox.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:27 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

According to Baseball America 2013 Prospect Handbook, Garcia played 44 games last season in CF at AA.  He probably projects more as a right fielder.  He has a strong arm.  They say he has All-star potential but must improve his plate discipline as he's an aggressive free swinger who strikes out a lot.  Basically, he's a work in progress - but the potential in certainly present.

Heard talk on radio this morning that one big item in the deal is the Bosox picked up all of Peavy's contract (big surprise there!!). Speculation is they may need to use some of it when/if they trade Rios. Gets them a decent prospect or two, but they will have to send cash also
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:22 am

Regarding the trade. Yipeee ! Sorry that's the best I can do and not because I'm for or against it. Honestly just don't care. Peavy never seemed to be a pitcher that deserved all the attention he gained. Oh, another Yipeee they got prospects ! Yeah, Yipeee ! Yawn !

Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:55 am

TeleFrank wrote:Regarding the trade. Yipeee ! Sorry that's the best I can do and not because I'm for or against it. Honestly just don't care. Peavy never seemed to be a pitcher that deserved all the attention he gained. Oh, another Yipeee they got prospects ! Yeah, Yipeee ! Yawn !

I had not heard of any of these three prospects, so I have no excitement about any of these.  But basically, we got Garcia AND $20M, so if any of the prospects pan out, they are gravy.

Now can Rios go yet today?
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:21 am

Cream1953 wrote:he's an aggressive free swinger who strikes out a lot. 

He'll find a lot of soul mates on the White Sox.

Frank Thomas must not have what it takes to coach.  Here's one of the most successful patient hitters of my lifetime, he is in the Sox "family", and many of the Sox hitters suffer from the free swinging bug.  You'd think he'd be called in to speak his mind to some players like Viciedo or maybe Garcia since he's branded a free swinger.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:22 am

I agree with Frank.  In his 5 years with the White Sox, Peavy won less than 40 games total. That's less than 8 wins a year. Sorry, but that doesn't exactly blow wind up my skirt. The Sox never even came remotely close to getting what they expected from this guy. Christ, he wasn't even ready to pitch for them when he joined the team. Yeah yeah yeah, I know...he was hurt a lot. Don't care. All that did was make him undependable. In the meantime he made MILLIONS off of this team so he can take his aches and pains all the way to the bank. I'm sure he can afford health insurance. I don't hold him as responsible for this team's failures as much as I do some others, but he was definately a contributing factor towards the White Sox's woes. I hope the door doesn't hit him in the ass on the way out.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:29 am

Here's some of the analysis on the players the Sox got in the Peavy trade:

"The White Sox didn't get any of the Red Sox's farm system gems in the swap; all three guys here are very long-term projects. Montas, 20, was 2-9 with a 5.70 ERA and a 96/32 K/BB ratio in 85 1/3 innings as a starter for low Single-A Greenville. Wendelken, 20, had a 2.77 ERA and a 54/20 K/BB ratio in 65 innings as a reliever in low-A ball. Rondon, 19, was hitting .276/.326/.350 in short-season ball. "
    The 22-year-old Garcia was talked up last year as a big piece of the Tigers' future. His resemblance to Miguel Cabrera in the batter's box probably helped in that regard. This year, he had hit .382/.414/.549 in 144 at-bats in Triple-A, but just .241/.273/.373 in 83 at-bats in the majors, and the Tigers deemed him expendable with fellow outfield prospect Nick Castellanos also knocking on the door. Plate discipline is an issue for Garcia, and while scouts expect his power to come, his high home run total in six minor league seasons is 14. Whether the White Sox use him right away could hinge on an Alex Rios deal. For now, though, he's been optioned to Triple-A Charlotte. "

rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:40 am

<I agree with Frank.  In his 5 years with the White Sox, Peavy won less than 40 games total. That's less than 8 wins a year. Sorry, but that doesn't exactly blow wind up my skirt. The Sox never even came remotely close to getting what they expected from this guy. Christ, he wasn't even ready to pitch for them when he joined the team. Yeah yeah yeah, I know...he was hurt a lot. Don't care. All that did was make him undependable. In the meantime he made MILLIONS off of this team so he can take his aches and pains all the way to the bank. I'm sure he can afford health insurance. I don't hold him as responsible for this team's failures as much as I do some others, but he was definately a contributing factor towards the White Sox's woes. I hope the door doesn't hit him in the ass on the way out. >

Kenny thought Peavy was going to be the great stud to lead the Sox rotation to championships but it was a known gamble on Peavy's health which was already a question mark when the trade happened.  Except for 2012 where Peavy finally delivered a 200+ innings, you are spot on that he never was able to answer the bell in his 5 seasons.   Despite the protests of those who felt Peavy would be the centerpiece of a 2014 contender, the Sox were well-served to trade him.  
    As Jim said, Garin Cecchini would have been a lot better haul than Garcia, but was reading that at the end Peavy's price was dropping in the trade market so Hahn probably got what he could.  Garcia has a reasonable shot of making it, but the unfortunate part is that he sounds a lot like Viciedo.  Do the Sox really need to load up on this type player ?   Of the other three, they are longshots right now but the one pitcher (Montas) could develop.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:12 am

rmapasad wrote:Of the other three, they are longshots right now but the one pitcher (Montas) could develop.
    [/size]

Frank Montas was considered to have the fastest fastball in the Red Sox system.  Any 20 year old who can hit 100 mph on the radar gun has to be considered a legit prospect.  He was rated Boston's #22 prospect in Baseball America 2013 Prospect Handbook.  The other two minor leaguers were not rated in their handbook, which takes in the top 30 prospects in each organization.  The White Sox had probably scouted the Boston farm system prior to the Thornton trade.  Hopefully they did their scouting well; but when you're dealing with most young players in the low minors, the odds are against them.

Still, I'm happy with the trade and am impressed with the way Hahn was able to get a near major league ready prospect of the caliber of Garcia along with other youngsters who may or may not work out over time. And if it's true that he didn't have to eat any of Peavy's salary, he did a tremendous job.

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:09 pm

I really can't seem to muster up much excitement about another free swinging Latin American in the outfield. Comparing him to Cabrera strikes me as a little hopeful wishing as I seriously doubt the Tiggers are trading the "next Miggy". I don't care if Willie mays is in their pipeline, I don't see that happening. I'm not against the trade, peavy had to go. I'd be a lot happier however if they sent us a guy who was thought to be the next Brandon Phillips, or Matt carpenter, or chase utley. 

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:47 pm

Chi-kid wrote:I really can't seem to muster up much excitement about another free swinging Latin American in the outfield. Comparing him to Cabrera strikes me as a little hopeful wishing as I seriously doubt the Tiggers are trading the "next Miggy". I don't care if Willie mays is in their pipeline, I don't see that happening. I'm not against the trade, peavy had to go. I'd be a lot happier however if they sent us a guy who was thought to be the next Brandon Phillips, or Matt carpenter, or chase utley. 

Roger's comparison to Vicedo is partially a good one. Low OBP and he does strike out, but he is a very good defensive player who runs very well for a big man. I think he has a chance to develop into Rios in Rios' good years. Won't be that big of a base stealer as Rios, but his bat could be solid. 
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:27 pm

I really can't seem to muster up much excitement about another free swinging Latin American in the outfield. Comparing him to Cabrera strikes me as a little hopeful wishing as I seriously doubt the Tiggers are trading the "next Miggy". I don't care if Willie mays is in their pipeline, I don't see that happening. I'm not against the trade, peavy had to go. I'd be a lot happier however if they sent us a guy who was thought to be the next Brandon Phillips, or Matt carpenter, or chase utley. >>

IMO, as with the Thornton trade, the Sox's philosophy about the kind of offensive player they wanted shone through very clearlyAs one writer put it "the White Sox have never cared that much about plate discipline."
    Hahn was praising Garcia's " 5 tools" and his tremendous physical upside.  He's a big guy 6'4", 240 lbs.. Seems that Kenny Williams and the scouts are still in charge of player selection. 
    This is not to say Garcia will be a bust.  Free-swingers can make it in the majors, but lack of plate discipline increases the chances of a flameout.
    Maybe Hahn asked for Jackie Bradley or Garin Cecchini from the Red Sox or Matt Davidson from the D-Backs or Kolton Wong from the Cardinals and then got rebuffed It probably didn't help the Sox's chances with that quality of prosect that Sox were unwilling to eat any portion of Peavy's remaining $ 20 + million contract.  But I also wonder whether the Sox stopped trying to figure out a deal for those types once they became aware that the athletic Garcia could be available. This is just the kind of player that Sox have gone for repeatedly.

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:38 pm

Guys like Andre Dawson and Kirby Puckett weren't that big on plate discipline. Didn't hurt them any

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:42 am