Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Rios and Ramirez to the Pirates

Rios and Ramirez to the Pirates

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:29 am

Pirates supposedly want these 2. But the Sox are being asked to eat a lot of cash

Re: Rios and Ramirez to the Pirates

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Father of Stan wrote:Pirates supposedly want these 2. But the Sox are being asked to eat a lot of cash

Not interested in Dunn, huh??  Not even for only Pedro Alvarez??

ps...the amount of cash they eat should be directly proportional to the prospect talent they get back. The better the talent, the more they eat...imho.

jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:53 pm

How about trading Dunn, Ramirez, Rios, Konerko, all our catchers and third basemen and any 4 pitchers they choose, for McCutcheon?
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:08 pm

Pittsburgh would STILL feel like they got the shit end of the stick.
    chisoxkid
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by chisoxkid on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:42 pm

There was a huuuuge conversation about this going on under the headline at mlbtraderumors.com.  Most people on that site seem to think at least a top 5 Pirates prospect plus another top 10ish would be involved in such a deal.  I guess they have a pretty deep farm system from what I hear, so I'd be all for that kind of return.  Any minor league buffs on the board know much about the Pirates farm system and what you would want from them?
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 pm

There was a huuuuge conversation about this going on under the headline at mlbtraderumors.com.  Most people on that site seem to think at least a top 5 Pirates prospect plus another top 10ish would be involved in such a deal.  I guess they have a pretty deep farm system from what I hear, so I'd be all for that kind of return.  Any minor league buffs on the board know much about the Pirates farm system and what you would want from them?  >
    Pirates have a decent number of prospects.  They are very unlikely to trade their top two pitchers (Cole or Taillion) or their top offensive prospect (Polanco).. They might deal Alan Henson (SS) or Josh Bell (OF). or Heredia (pitcher) who are right below that level.   If they get Rios they'd probably include one of their current major league OFers like Tabata, Snider or Presley, all of whom have been disappointments at the big league level so far.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:15 pm

chisoxkid wrote:There was a huuuuge conversation about this going on under the headline at mlbtraderumors.com.  Most people on that site seem to think at least a top 5 Pirates prospect plus another top 10ish would be involved in such a deal.  I guess they have a pretty deep farm system from what I hear, so I'd be all for that kind of return.  Any minor league buffs on the board know much about the Pirates farm system and what you would want from them?
    It is an excellent system with some of their prospects already up on the major league squad.  Starling Marte is in their OF already.  Gerrit Cole has already cracked their rotation.  LHP Justin Wilson is racking up wins out of their bullpen and may be a closer in waiting.  But other up and comers still in the minors like OF Gregory Polanco, P Jameson Taillon, SS Alen Hanson are probably head and shoulders above anything in the Sox system right now.  Teaming C Tony Sanchez with Josh Phegley might make a nice tandem for years to come.  They can have Flowers back if they want a backup.  And that does not mention very young kid P Luis Heredia and OF Josh Bell.  I'd give Rios, Ramirez and Flowers for a few of these and pay most of the freight.  We'd get back players that will cost very little in the near future, so even if we have to pay for Rios and Dunn, big deal... we have to pay for them as it is anyway.  Why not get something very young and solid for them.  Give them Peavy, too.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    It is an excellent system with some of their prospects already up on the major league squad.  Starling Marte is in their OF already.  Gerrit Cole has already cracked their rotation.  LHP Justin Wilson is racking up wins out of their bullpen and may be a closer in waiting.  But other up and comers still in the minors like OF Gregory Polanco, P Jameson Taillon, SS Alen Hanson are probably head and shoulders above anything in the Sox system right now.  Teaming C Tony Sanchez with Josh Phegley might make a nice tandem for years to come.  They can have Flowers back if they want a backup.  And that does not mention very young kid P Luis Heredia and OF Josh Bell.  I'd give Rios, Ramirez and Flowers for a few of these and pay most of the freight.  We'd get back players that will cost very little in the near future, so even if we have to pay for Rios and Dunn, big deal... we have to pay for them as it is anyway.  Why not get something very young and solid for them.  Give them Peavy, too.

Jim, that's out of character for you to want to just throw guys into a deal.  I remember how pissed you've been in the past when guys were either thrown in for good measure or for no good reason.  Peavy ought to be worth something on the open market if he comes back healthy from his DL stint.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:

Jim, that's out of character for you to want to just throw guys into a deal.  I remember how pissed you've been in the past when guys were either thrown in for good measure or for no good reason.  Peavy ought to be worth something on the open market if he comes back healthy from his DL stint.

Jim can certainly speak for himself but if I recall correctly, he got pissed when young talent was just thrown in willy-nilly, not waning established veterans. 
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Jim, that's out of character for you to want to just throw guys into a deal.  I remember how pissed you've been in the past when guys were either thrown in for good measure or for no good reason. 

*********************************************************************************

Back when he was against such things this team didn't suck so bad.

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:32 pm

THE KARK KEEPS PEAVY.  HE AND SALE HAVE A SCHILLING JOHNSON IMITATION IN THEM AND 2014 WILL BE THE YEAR.

SOX ARE AN OFFENSE AWAY FROM WINNING IT ALL
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:47 am

Soxillinirob wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:

I was not clear, sorry.  Trade the guys mentioned depending on how many of the other names mentioned can be acquired.  And my past rants were always about giving away our better prospect minor leaguers.  This is a chance to be on the receiving end of a club's better prospects for a change.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:48 am

jaywit wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:

Jim can certainly speak for himself but if I recall correctly, he got pissed when young talent was just thrown in willy-nilly, not waning established veterans. 
    Correct, Jay.  Thanks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 pm