Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

The Magnificent Jacobs!!!

Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

The Magnificent Jacobs!!!

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Recruited by Auburn as a running back while in H.S.

WAR EAGLE!!!!

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Re: The Magnificent Jacobs!!!

Post by frank bonifacic on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Recruited by Auburn as a running back while in H.S.

WAR EAGLE!!!!

turned it down when Red Sox paid him a $750,000 bonus. listened to an article from Boston on him.
    Big power-was doing Ok and then regressed after AA. Also had surgery from a hamate injury (sound familiar)
    Bottom line- a lottery pick. Could be something but not top odds based on career so far.

Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:51 pm

What the fuck did you expect for Matt fucking Thornton? I'm amazed they got anything at all for him. I'm just grateful I don't have to see this stiff in a White Sox uniform anymore.
    Bobbyrosebowl
    Roof Shot

Post by Bobbyrosebowl on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Really enjoyed Melton ripping all the White Sox Minor League outfielders this afternoon.  What a great organization!!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Really enjoyed Melton ripping all the White Sox Minor League outfielders this afternoon.  What a great organization!!!

For all the criticism that Brandon Jacobs has been getting, he might have more of an upside potential as a pure hitter than the guys usually mentioned as top Sox outfield prospects like Jared Mitchell and Trayce Thompson - which probably isn't saying much.  Jacobs is not a good defensive outfielder, though, having a weak arm and poor instincts.  Maybe the Sox see him as a possible convert to 1B.

Jacobs is supposed to have a short swing and very quick hands generating tremendous bat speed.  He is pure muscle with less than 10% body fat.  Baseball America has compared him in the past to Kevin Mitchell, although I wouldn't put too much stock in a publication that previously compared Joe Borchard to Mark McGwire. Crying or Very sad 

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:06 pm

WAR EAGLE!!!!

Now the trade makes sense. The SOX already were set at wide receiver

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:11 pm

THE KARK wrote:

WAR EAGLE!!!!

Now the trade makes sense.  The SOX already were set at wide receiver

Maybe they can bring back the BP Cup with the Sox minor leaguers playing the Bears. Laughing
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:19 am

Cream1953 wrote:What the fuck did you expect for Matt fucking Thornton? I'm amazed they got anything at all for him. I'm just grateful I don't have to see this stiff in a White Sox uniform anymore.
    You're right. For the going nowhere White Sox, Thornton was a salary albatross that needed to be gone. However, stars aligned so that Boston actually saw value in him since he's still holding LHed batters to a .171 Bat Avg this year.  Boston doesn't have a LHed reliever who's doing that, and they're desperately trying to hold a lead in the tough AL East.   When contenders are desperate to fill a need, they'll sometimes cough up far more than a guy's normal value.  Rangers gave up Chris Davis to get a reliever a couple seasons ago, and Indians gave up Brian Giles for a LHed situational guy a number of years back.  When White Sox had a nice fish on the line as they did with Boston, why not try to reel in as good a catch as possible ?

Sure, Red Sox aren't stupid enough to give up a stud prospect for Thornton, but they clearly were willing to give up a prospect they felt they didn't need if Sox sent some cash to help pay for part of Thornton's remaining contract.  Of the prospects Boston doesn't need, IMO, there were better choices than Jacobs.  So why didn't White Sox go that route ?  Was it hard-headedness on part of front office who instead of pressing for a 3bman with a respectable track record like Almanzar decided to take their familiar flyer on the "good athlete" with a checkered track record ?  Kenny Williams still has a voice in policy, so that's a real possibility.   Or were the Sox reluctant to angle for a somewhat better prospect because they were willing to eat only $ 750,000 of Thornton's contract ?  After all, hard-headedness and cheapness have been two traits of the Sox front office.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:36 am

Jacobs is supposed to have a short swing and very quick hands generating tremendous bat speed.  He is pure muscle with less than 10% body fat.  >>
    Doubt Babe Ruth had that body fat ratio.

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:21 am

BABE RUTH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The KARK will be happy if Jacobs learns to hit like JOhn Kruk

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:10 am

rmapasad wrote:Jacobs is supposed to have a short swing and very quick hands generating tremendous bat speed.  He is pure muscle with less than 10% body fat.  >>
    Doubt Babe Ruth had that body fat ratio.

LOL... And neither did the vast majority of guys in the Hall of Fame...  Kenny Williams to this day may only have 10% body fat.  Unfortunately, it's all between his ears.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:11 pm

For all the criticism that Brandon Jacobs has been getting, he might have more of an upside potential as a pure hitter than the guys usually mentioned as top Sox outfield prospects like Jared Mitchell and Trayce Thompson - which probably isn't saying much.  Jacobs is not a good defensive outfielder, though, having a weak arm and poor instincts.  Maybe the Sox see him as a possible convert to 1B. >>

My last blast on Jacobs (promise).  I agree with you, Mart, that he's got more going for him than Mitchell.    Jacobs has displayed some flashes of ability like his 2010 season and more recently he's hit .420 over last 12 games which earned him a promo to AA.   Not sure I'd put him over Thompson who has shown better power to date.  As you said, Jacobs is either a corner OFer or 1bman due to his defensive issues, so power has to be part of his calling card.

My biggest beef is why the Sox keep trying to win the lotto with toolsy athletes rather than going for admittedly blander players with some proven skills that might at least turn into useful major leaguers.. Sure, it never hurts to draft those kind of guys in lower rounds, as Red Sox did with Jacobs in 10th round.  But to build your minor league system around these same kind of longshots is another matter.  It's basically relying on a wing and prayer.

Look, maybe a Jacobs was the best the Sox could pull for Thornton, which is why I will shut up about this deal once and for all.  But it's difficult to put much faith in the front office's judgment of talent they're getting when they seem to be banging their heads against the same wall time and time again.

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:34 pm

BABE RUTH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The KARK will be happy if Jacobs learns to hit like JOhn Kruk

Kruk was a lifetime .300 hitter.. The sox should b so lucky.   

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:30 pm