Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Ray Manzarek

alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Ray Manzarek

Post by alohafri on Tue May 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned Ray yet. I think I knew he was a Chicagoan, but never knew that he went to grammar school 2 blocks east of the last house in which my granparents lived. He went to Everett Elementary School on south Union (they lived at 35th and Claremont...obviously long after Ray was in the neighborhood. They were at 67 and Western at the time.)

If Ray had made the correct decision in high school choices like Chi-Kid and S0CH0A did, he would have been a classmate of my father's at Mt. Carmel. Alas, he chose Rita.

Re: Ray Manzarek

Post by Guest on Tue May 21, 2013 8:47 pm

I was floored when I read he was 74 years old ...guess times really doesn't stand still..
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 pm

I posted about Ray on a musical board I belong to. Morrison was the star but Ray was absolutely the foundation of The Door's sound. You think of The Doors and you think of a predominately keyboard-based band with a great singer. In rock'n'roll terms, the melody line to Light My Fire is to keyboards what Sunshine of Your Love is to the bass and Satisfaction is to the guitar.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue May 21, 2013 9:20 pm

Cream1953 wrote:I posted about Ray on a musical board I belong to. Morrison was the star but Ray was absolutely the foundation of The Door's sound. You think of The Doors and you think of a predominately keyboard-based band with a great singer. In rock'n'roll terms, the melody line to Light My Fire is to keyboards what Sunshine of Your Love is to the bass and Satisfaction is to the guitar.

Funny, because I don't think Morrison even thought of himself as a singer, but as a poet who sang. You are right about Manzarek on the keyboards. He had one of those distinctive sounds that you knew exactly who it was playing...much like, as you say, Richards, and dare I add, guys like Townshend, Van Halen, Hendrix, Geddy Lee, and a few others.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue May 21, 2013 10:44 pm

I love when you're daring. I love you

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:50 pm