Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Peter Banks

Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Peter Banks

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:01 pm

I think we have some progressive rock lovers on the board. Peter Banks...a founding member of Yes...died over the weekend at the age of 65.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Re: Peter Banks

Post by Nomads44 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:22 pm

Cream1953 wrote:I think we have some progressive rock lovers on the board. Peter Banks...a founding member of Yes...died over the weekend at the age of 65.

Down by the edge, round by the corner,
    Close to the edge, down by the river.

I think the first album my wife bought me.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:31 am

Wow, a little surprised Nomads. When I mentioned possible progressive rock lovers on the board, I admittedly wouldn't have pegged you among them. Excellent choice by the wife!

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:45 am

Yes was always the red headed stepchild in my "love rock" days. I had most if not all their albums. Loved YESSONGS and saw them live at least twice that I can remember, yet when I think of bands I loved, or were "great", they really don't pop into my mind. I think it might be b/c I loved guitar bands more - stones, who, eric clapton, 10 yrs after, etc, and YES just didn't fit into that category. Maybe I should revisit them on YouTube or Itunes
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:53 am

I think it might be b/c I loved guitar bands more - stones, who, eric clapton, 10 yrs after, etc,

********************************************************************************

Yeah...I liked some progressive rock. Bands like Yes, King Crimson and Emerson Lake & Palmer cracked open the door for me to explore a little more classical and jazz music than I might have otherwise. Still, at the end of the day, I always go back to my true love of guitar-driven blues/rock.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Wow, a little surprised Nomads. When I mentioned possible progressive rock lovers on the board, I admittedly wouldn't have pegged you among them. Excellent choice by the wife!

I had a lot of James Gang, too. What kind of rock were they? I never much cared what type it was. I like a little of everything. Liked Nilsson Schmilson, John Entwistle, Steve Winwood.... I was into whether I liked it, not what type it was. I even like some disco (Bee Gee's) and European (ABBA). Never did like country with the cryers and wailers, but now I kind of like it. Never much into hard rock, but there are some I like. I even like some classical stuff. But little to no Jazz.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:05 pm

I think the James Gang was kind of a mix of Willie Nelson and Deep Purple. Very Happy
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:45 pm

Chi-kid wrote:

Yes was always the red headed stepchild in my "love rock" days. I had most if not all their albums. Loved YESSONGS and saw them live at least twice that I can remember, yet when I think of bands I loved, or were "great", they really don't pop into my mind. I think it might be b/c I loved guitar bands more - stones, who, eric clapton, 10 yrs after, etc, and YES just didn't fit into that category. Maybe I should revisit them on YouTube or Itunes
    Funny you bring this up. Same here. They were my second favorite band to Zeppelin throughout my teen years and into college. And yet, I couldn't bring myself to put them into my top ten albums. Fragile might be in my top 15. That was a cool album, and is one that I still put on in my car at times....to the dismay of my kids. Saw them live in '84, and although it was after they'd reformed into a pretty lame pop band at that point, they really rocked out in concert. Perhaps the reason it's hard to put them near the top is because Anderson had such a goofy singing voice that it's almost impossible to include them.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

Funny you bring this up. Same here. They were my second favorite band to Zeppelin throughout my teen years and into college. And yet, I couldn't bring myself to put them into my top ten albums. Fragile might be in my top 15. That was a cool album, and is one that I still put on in my car at times....to the dismay of my kids. Saw them live in '84, and although it was after they'd reformed into a pretty lame pop band at that point, they really rocked out in concert. Perhaps the reason it's hard to put them near the top is because Anderson had such a goofy singing voice that it's almost impossible to include them.

I feel the same way about Yes. I have a few regular albums (Fragile, 90125, Union) and the boxed set, Yes Years. I think they are a tremendous band, but I don't think I'd see them in concert.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:16 pm

alohafri wrote:
    I feel the same way about Yes. I have a few regular albums (Fragile, 90125, Union) and the boxed set, Yes Years. I think they are a tremendous band, but I don't think I'd see them in concert.
    They were definitely a band that was better live than in studio.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:14 am

Soxillinirob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    They were definitely a band that was better live than in studio.

Really? I would have figured them like the Eagles on stage. In the "History of the Eagles", Don Henly quoted a critic who said "the Eagles loitered on stage".

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:54 am

I would have figured them like the Eagles on stage. In the "History of the Eagles", Don Henly quoted a critic who said "the Eagles loitered on stage".

I once saw the Eagles on a warm Chicago summer night at the old Washington Park Racetrack (before it burned down) when they OPENNED for Linda Ronstadt and then joined her when she came on. That was when they were just breaking off on their own. The highlight of their set was a great rendition of "Carol", the old Chuck Berry song.
    It's weird how something as simple as that reminds impressed in your mind all these years later.
    BTW - Linda was in her skinny phase and looked hot as hell. I was soooooo in love with her looks..
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:32 am

alohafri wrote:
    Really? I would have figured them like the Eagles on stage. In the "History of the Eagles", Don Henly quoted a critic who said "the Eagles loitered on stage".
    Honestly, Kevin, I went to see them expecting the same as you bring up. Figured a prog rock/art rock band might not really translate very well. My buddies and I all left that show extremely impressed. In fact, I remember thinking I'd never been as impressed with a live show as that. There'd been better, mind you, but the show, compared to my expectations, was out of this world.

Would be interesting to hear people expound upon live shows that were a letdown for them, and shows that blew them away versus their expectations. I've seen a lot of live shows in my day.

Shows that exceeded expectations:
    Prince. Blew me away. Got dragged by three cute girls that wanted a ride and gave me a ticket if I'd provide one. Who would I be to say no to that? I was neutral about his music as I went to the show. Left that show a future lifelong fan.

Supertramp was incredible live. Liked their music but loved their live show.

Yes. As I've explained.

Adrian Belew. Never even heard of the guy until I saw him live in 1989. Blew me away and I later found out he was in King Crimson, The Bears, and had some interesting stuff of his own, along with being Bowie's and the Talking Heads' tour lead guitarist.

Squeeze. Wife dragged me kicking and screaming to this circa 1992. Loved it.

Tom Petty, circa 1990. Great showman.

B-52s in '89. Wayyyy better than the crap-rock I expected.

The Band. Saw them open for CSN in '85. They were better than CSN.

The Who. Didn't know what to expect. My first big concert ever, in '83. Blew me away.

Sia. Holy crap can this goofy woman sing. Got wifey tix to this show a couple yrs ago as a Mother's Day gift. I think I liked it more than she did.

Disappointments:
    The Police, both in '84 and '2008
    Genesis in '84
    Van Halen in '84. Bored me to tears. D.L. Roth is a jackhole.
    Rush in '84
    Peter Gabriel in around 2005
    Liz Phair in around 2008
    Elton John mid 90's. Ugh.
    Billy Joel mid 90's. Zzzzzz
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:12 am

Adrian Belew. Never even heard of the guy until I saw him live in 1989. Blew me away and I later found out he was in King Crimson, The Bears, and had some interesting stuff of his own

Dear high school friend of mine I grew up and hung around with back in the day played keyboards on Belew's first two solo albums.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:26 am

Cream1953 wrote:Adrian Belew. Never even heard of the guy until I saw him live in 1989. Blew me away and I later found out he was in King Crimson, The Bears, and had some interesting stuff of his own

Dear high school friend of mine I grew up and hung around with back in the day played keyboards on Belew's first two solo albums.
    He's an interesting cat, to say the least. Some of his solo stuff is just musical masturbation. And some of it is pretty thoughtful. I actually enjoy an occasional listen to Mr. Music Head and Young Lions. Actually went to see him play a live show downtown at Martyrs about 4 yrs ago. Not bad.
    He's also from Champaign/Urbana, so seeing him play live there 24 yrs ago was pretty fun.

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Would be interesting to hear people expound upon live shows that were a letdown for them,

Not that we expected much, but when my friends and I went to see Grand Funk Railroad, we literally looked at each other multiple times and said, WTF? They were incredibly TERRIBLE!

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Elton John mid 90's. Ugh.

That's because you saw them when they were sober and/or clean. Back in the 70s and early 80s, both these guys put on excellent shows. I wasn't a Joel fan but got dragged to the concert by a girl at the time, and he was very enjoyable and put on a good show. Same with John, who I would argue up until about 1977, or whenever he broke up with bernie Taupin, wrote some of the greatest songs EVER!. Now they are caricatures of themselves.

Ever notice how some singers/performers were much better when they were fighting demons? Joel, John, Steve Earle, John Hiatt, John Prine? ...sober em up and they aren't as great.Must be all their angst is cleared up

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:03 pm

I wasn't a Joel fan but got dragged to the concert by a girl at the time, and he was very enjoyable and put on a good show.

I wonder if you saw Joel without his original drummer, Liberty Divito (sp?) - who was an excellent part of his show ..
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:41 pm

He's also from Champaign/Urbana,

Yeah...Illinois connections all over the place. If memory serves me correctly his first album was recorded at a place called "Cwazy Wabbit" studio in Springfield. My friend, Christy, played on his first album "Lone Rhinoceros" and his second release "Twang Bar King". Pretty off the wall stuff. Sort of a combination of new wave, progressive and avant garde. On the title track "Lone Rhino" off the first album, Christy plays an absolutely gorgeous piano part. Of course I think of her every time I hear that song.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Elton John mid 90's. Ugh.

That's because you saw them when they were sober and/or clean. Back in the 70s and early 80s, both these guys put on excellent shows. I wasn't a Joel fan but got dragged to the concert by a girl at the time, and he was very enjoyable and put on a good show. Same with John, who I would argue up until about 1977, or whenever he broke up with bernie Taupin, wrote some of the greatest songs EVER!. Now they are caricatures of themselves.

Ever notice how some singers/performers were much better when they were fighting demons? Joel, John, Steve Earle, John Hiatt, John Prine? ...sober em up and they aren't as great.Must be all their angst is cleared up
    A buddy of mine saw Joel in the early/mid 80's and found it incredible. I agree with you, though. The demons seem to work wonders for the artistic quality.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:22 pm

In my favorite live albums in another thread, I indicated that Billy Joel's "12 Gardens" was in my top 10. It was recorded in 2006 I believe. I've never seen Billy in concert but I think his voice has held up extremely well as he proved once again in the New York concert for Sandy victims. All that said, he hasn't recorded a CD of new material in over 20 years (though he's written classical music) so maybe the creative writing seeds have dried up.

I probably haven't seen as many shows as some of you because I was involved with my own bands so that took up a good deal of my musical time. Still, I've seen my share but I've been pretty lucky and can't really recall seeing any especially bad shows. I saw ZZ Top a few years ago and felt like they basically mailed in their gig. Back in the 90's my son and I went to Lolapalooza when Soundgarden was on the bill and I thought they were a bit disappointing.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Chi-kid wrote:

BTW - Linda was in her skinny phase and looked hot as hell. I was soooooo in love with her looks..

Young Linda was as hot as they come. She was the first woman I ever fell in love with but never met. Second was Nastassja Kinski and third (and final) was Phoebe Cates.

I recall the inner sleeve of one of Linda's albums was a picture of her looking over her shoulder into the camera, wearing what looks to be a black velvet dress dropping from her shoulder. Finest picture of a woman ever!

As a matter of fact, here it is:
    http://www.google.com/imgres?q=linda+ronstadt&hl=en&biw=807&bih=602&tbm=isch&tbnid=j9ZdLizElXFqTM:&imgrefurl=http://tekstovi-pesama.com/linda-ronstadt/0/24215/&docid=C42RkVH6w24JiM&imgurl=http://tekstovi-pesama.com/g_img2/0/l/24215/linda%25252520ronstadt-4.jpg&w=320&h=427&ei=VmdCUdi6DvOLyQHWmYHAAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=542&vpy=132&dur=1747&hovh=259&hovw=194&tx=107&ty=105&page=1&tbnh=146&tbnw=106&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:163
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:06 pm

I saw EJ in '81. I wasn't expecting much, not "stooping" to like his brand of pop music, but I became a fan that night. Excellent showman, excellent musician.

I saw Neil Young around 1984 and wasn't expecting too much either because, as I recall, he had a short period where he seemed to be influenced by the new wave sound. That was a surprisingly great concert as he performed his more upbeat sound and didn't go back to his 70's roots.

I really looked forward to seeing the Cars around 79 or 80 and was very disappointed with their lack of showmanship. They just seemed bored.

Joe Jackson around '84 was a shithead to the audience, telling fans screaming for him to play a song that he'll play the songs he wants and in order.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:21 pm

jaywit wrote:
    Joe Jackson around '84 was a shithead to the audience, telling fans screaming for him to play a song that he'll play the songs he wants and in order.
    [/size]
    I've always heard this about J.J. I love his artistic style and ability, but all versions of the story are that he's a grade A asshole in concert, and that if something goes wrong with his equipment, or one of his musicians hits an incorrect note or something, he goes off right there on stage. What a D-bag.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:27 pm