Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Not a book

alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Not a book

Post by alohafri on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:59 pm

But I just finished watching "The Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go To War" on PBS. Holy shit! I have read a few books on the Cuban Missile Crisis and have to say that if I was around back then, this would have scared me more than 9/11. Maybe those of you who were around then would care to comment on it as this is the 50th anniversary.

My father was in Vietnam at the time and they were on notice to leave with no warning for Miami for an invasion of Cuba.

Outstanding documentary if you happen to see it on again!
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Not a book

Post by jaywit on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:06 pm

alohafri wrote:But I just finished watching "The Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go To War" on PBS. Holy shit! I have read a few books on the Cuban Missile Crisis and have to say that if I was around back then, this would have scared me more than 9/11. Maybe those of you who were around then would care to comment on it as this is the 50th anniversary.

My father was in Vietnam at the time and they were on notice to leave with no warning for Miami for an invasion of Cuba.

I was about one and a half years old or so and my mind was on this toilet training shit. I didn't have time to worry about the Cubans. Hope that helps. pig

But if I see it, I'll DVR it and watch it. Sounds interesting and thanks for the tip.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:29 pm

I seem to remember my folks sitting around the radio (maybe the TV, too - don't remember for sure), but they tried to shelter or isolate us kids from it. I had no real concept of what Communism was outside of being the enemy and seeing Kruschev bang his shoe on the table, or whatever the heck he did. And I had grown up up to that point loving Cuba because of Minnie Minoso. Baseball was it for me. Girls were not even much of a factor yet, let alone the world situation.

At that time, I would have never guessed that within the next decade, I would be in Southeast Asia. Cuba seems so long ago... Vietnam not long at all.

Last edited by Nomads44 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added last paragraph.)

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:29 am

My mother once told me the most public part of the whole thing was the broadcast of Adlai Stevenson talking down the Russian ambassador .. Apparently he came off as one tough mother fucker thru the whole thing (my words, not my mothers) ......
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:39 am

Chi-kid wrote:My mother once told me the most public part of the whole thing was the broadcast of Adlai Stevenson talking down the Russian ambassador .. Apparently he came off as one tough mother fucker thru the whole thing (my words, not my mothers) ......

I remember reading that members of the Kennedy administration were worried that Stevenson was too much of a pussy to do the job at the UN. He either grew a pair of balls or kept them cleverly hidden until that time.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:39 am

As a 9 year old I recall my dad having the coverage on as much as he could. I recall Stevenson's line of questioning to the Russians pretty vividly because the word "hell" was used and found it shocking and pretty cool that the word actually ended up being spoken on television. Things have changed a tad since then. I also recall a sense of somberness around the house though, in my 9 year old head, I'm sure I didn't really pick up on the gravity of the situation. I suspect my focus was on the upcoming Halloween more than it was missles in Cuba.

I also don't remember being all that afraid. As silly as it may sound, I think the schools had something to do with this. I vividly recall "duck and cover" being a weekly routine in my early years, missle crises or not, though, if memory serves me, I think we called it the "fall out drill". As ludicrous as these routines were, I think one purpose they actually DID serve was to instill a certain belief in kids that by crawling under your desk and placing your head down between your legs you could survive a nuclear attack. Of course this was absolutely fucking nonsense but at least it made you feel safer.

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:09 am

I also don't remember being all that afraid. As silly as it may sound, I think the schools had something to do with this. I vividly recall "duck and cover" being a weekly routine in my early years, missle crises or not, though, if memory serves me, I think we called it the "fall out drill". As ludicrous as these routines were, I think one purpose they actually DID serve was to instill a certain belief in kids that by crawling under your desk and placing your head down between your legs you could survive a nuclear attack. Of course this was absolutely fucking nonsense but at least it made you feel safer.

As Lewis Black says in his routine, the nerve to tell us kindling could protect us against a fireball as hot as the sun. Lol......
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Chi-kid wrote:I also don't remember being all that afraid. As silly as it may sound, I think the schools had something to do with this. I vividly recall "duck and cover" being a weekly routine in my early years, missle crises or not, though, if memory serves me, I think we called it the "fall out drill". As ludicrous as these routines were, I think one purpose they actually DID serve was to instill a certain belief in kids that by crawling under your desk and placing your head down between your legs you could survive a nuclear attack. Of course this was absolutely fucking nonsense but at least it made you feel safer.

As Lewis Black says in his routine, the nerve to tell us kindling could protect us against a fireball as hot as the sun. Lol......

On a similar topic, my retired colleague used to say to the kids "the only reason they have us lined up in a kneeling position against the walls during tornadoes is because it will be easier to find the bodies."

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:05 pm

alohafri wrote:But I just finished watching "The Cuban Missile Crisis: Three Men Go To War" on PBS. Holy shit! I have read a few books on the Cuban Missile Crisis and have to say that if I was around back then, this would have scared me more than 9/11. Maybe those of you who were around then would care to comment on it as this is the 50th anniversary.

I remember the talk in the rec room (in college) wondering what would happen if the Russian fleet kept coming? there were updates ont he news as to where they were and when they would arrive in Cuba. And the president saying that we would not allow missiles in Cuba.

It certainly got our attention. I really had forgotten about this until you mentioned it. I seem to remember Sputnik even more and the charge that went into the country and led to the space race.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:09 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:

I remember the talk in the rec room (in college) wondering what would happen if the Russian fleet kept coming? there were updates ont he news as to where they were and when they would arrive in Cuba. And the president saying that we would not allow missiles in Cuba.

It certainly got our attention. I really had forgotten about this until you mentioned it. I seem to remember Sputnik even more and the charge that went into the country and led to the space race.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what the reaction would be if the Internet were around. Twitter and facebook and up to the minute news. We had to turn on the news or talk to someone who had listened. The thought that it would be on your phone 24-7!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:03 am