Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

The Age of Miracles

jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

The Age of Miracles

Post by jfraser375 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:29 pm

Karen Thompson Walker's debut initially caught my eye, because she supposedly received a seven-figure advance from her publisher. The fascinating premise later compelled me to buy the book, and Karen's outstanding voice kept me reading it.

This is the story of a slow-motion catastrophe as seen through the eyes of a twelve-year-old girl. The rotation of the earth has inexplicably begun to slow. Just a few minutes per day at first, then more. Gravity becomes affected. Birds start falling from the sky. Our clocks grow increasingly out-of-sync with the lengthening days and nights, leading to a social poloraziation between those who decide to doggedly live by the clock and those who want to rise at daybreak and sleep after nightfall.

As the situation worsens with every passing day and the possible obliteration of all plant life looms ever nearer, young Julia lives the semblance of a normal teenage life -- suffering from shyness, dealing with the rejection by a close friend, falling for a boy who doesn't seem to notice her, and watching her parents' marriage disintegrate. This would be an excellent coming of age story even without the fascinating disaster ever present in the background.

Defintely worth the read and an easy book to get through. I raced through it over the weekend.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: The Age of Miracles

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Sounds cool. There is certainly evidence that the rotation has changed its axis on various occasions and that currently tropical places may have once been cold, and vice versa. Read a book called 5/5/2000 that explained the physics of why such a shift could easily happen and eventually SHOULD happen. The title was a reference to the prediction of the date that it would happen. LOL. I guess they were wrong.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:29 pm

jfraser375 wrote:Karen Thompson Walker's debut initially caught my eye, because she supposedly received a seven-figure advance from her publisher. The fascinating premise later compelled me to buy the book, and Karen's outstanding voice kept me reading it.

This is the story of a slow-motion catastrophe as seen through the eyes of a twelve-year-old girl. The rotation of the earth has inexplicably begun to slow. Just a few minutes per day at first, then more. Gravity becomes affected. Birds start falling from the sky. Our clocks grow increasingly out-of-sync with the lengthening days and nights, leading to a social poloraziation between those who decide to doggedly live by the clock and those who want to rise at daybreak and sleep after nightfall.

As the situation worsens with every passing day and the possible obliteration of all plant life looms ever nearer, young Julia lives the semblance of a normal teenage life -- suffering from shyness, dealing with the rejection by a close friend, falling for a boy who doesn't seem to notice her, and watching her parents' marriage disintegrate. This would be an excellent coming of age story even without the fascinating disaster ever present in the background.

Defintely worth the read and an easy book to get through. I raced through it over the weekend.

Sounds interesting Joe, I'll put it on my queue.

As for books to recommend AGAINST, I'm reading All You Need Is Ears written by George Martin who is most well known for producing the Beatles. Being a big Beatles fan and having read many different takes about their years together, I wanted to hunt this book down and get a take from someone who worked side by side with them and who loved them all, someone who wouldn't give a biased opinion, or if he had one, it would come from experience. Disappointingly, however, the first 130 pages have nothing to do about the Beatles years at all. Painstaking descriptions about sound waves, how many Hz are in middle A and how the human voice can't hold it. Far more detail that maybe someone wanting to be a producer would like but for the average fan, what a chore to read. Interestingly, before the Beatles, he worked quite often with Peter Sellers and he goes into detail how they made comedy albums but even then, he lends little to knowing more about Peter Sellers, no clever anecdotes. Hanging around Peter Sellers, wouldn't you think there'd be some outrageous anecdotes??? Nothing offered.

I'm just now getting to the Beatle years and if he glosses over this, I'm writing him a letter to tell him that he had the musical story of the 20th century at his fingertips and he fucked up big time telling it.

Well, at least he helped make the music.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Do you envision my 11 yr old being able to read it, and it being at an appropriate subject level for him? Not as worried about it being too complex, but concerned about it being a bit too adult oriented for him. The reviews of the book refer to it as a teen/young adult level book. We're having trouble getting him to see the importance of reading, but if he finds something interesting, he'll happily read.
    jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Post by jfraser375 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Good question. The story has zero sexual content and no violence. Subject matter is somewhat bleak.

He might find the scientific aspects of the story fascinating. A boy that age might also be interested to see what thoughts go on in the head of an identical-age girl.

Rob, if you go to the Amazon website, you can take a peak at a few pages with their look inside feature, and perhaps judge for yourself.

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:Do you envision my 11 yr old being able to read it, and it being at an appropriate subject level for him? Not as worried about it being too complex, but concerned about it being a bit too adult oriented for him. The reviews of the book refer to it as a teen/young adult level book. We're having trouble getting him to see the importance of reading, but if he finds something interesting, he'll happily read.

Recommend Lupica's books and even Mitch Album's books which are a little more adult but topics that he could probably get. You kid reminded me of my kid, and my kid at 11 wouldn't care what an 11 yr old girl thought, but would dig books on sports themes he could relate to.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:44 pm

The story has zero sexual content and no violence.

**************************************************************************************************

Well fuck it then. It looses my interest on these two points alone.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 am