Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Beckham on the way

Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Beckham on the way

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:55 pm

Can he play CF? We need some damn production out of that spot. For now, I fully expect to see him playing a bunch of 2B and 3B.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Re: Beckham on the way

Post by sox55 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:16 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:Can he play CF? We need some damn production out of that spot. For now, I fully expect to see him playing a bunch of 2B and 3B.

Didn't think the team had the balls to eat the million$ contract.....GIVE THEM CREDIT
    From White Sox.com:
    Gordon Beckham is coming to the Majors.

The White Sox top pick in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft and the eighth pick overall will have his contract purchased from Triple-A Charlotte prior to Thursday afternoon's contest and infielder Wilson Betemit will be designated for assignment. Beckham figures to get his primary playing time at third base but will see time across the infield and even as a designated hitter.

One thing is for certain--the White Sox did not call up Beckham to sit on the bench. He has a .326 average with 23 doubles, four home runs and 25 RBIs in 45 combined games this season between Double-A Birmingham and Charlotte. Beckham has a .322 average in 59 career Minor League games.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:39 pm

sox55 wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:Can he play CF? We need some damn production out of that spot. For now, I fully expect to see him playing a bunch of 2B and 3B.

Didn't think the team had the balls to eat the million$ contract.....GIVE THEM CREDIT
    From White Sox.com:

The White Sox top pick in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft and the eighth pick overall will have his contract purchased from Triple-A Charlotte prior to Thursday afternoon's contest and infielder Wilson Betemit will be designated for assignment. Beckham figures to get his primary playing time at third base but will see time across the infield and even as a designated hitter.

One thing is for certain--the White Sox did not call up Beckham to sit on the bench. He has a .326 average with 23 doubles, four home runs and 25 RBIs in 45 combined games this season between Double-A Birmingham and Charlotte. Beckham has a .322 average in 59 career Minor League games.

I'll get to see his major league debut!
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:40 am

alohafri wrote:
    sox55 wrote:

From White Sox.com:

I'll get to see his major league debut!

I think there might be an afternoon off in the cards today to come home and watch this. Or an extended late lunch at a sports bar.

The season becomes very interesting for me now, whether he becomes an important piece to this season trying to win it all with the vets, or if the team decides to start the future building a little early.

I see Fields and Anderson being moved in a trade very soon if Kenny can find one for a decent veteran, or if he can package them with another prospect or two for a top prospect or a very strong veteran pitcher.

Glavine wants to pitch yet, he says. Any of you have interest in him? Did I see he had 11 shutout innings in his rehab stint, but the Braves did not want to pay him the $1M with their new highly touted prospect Tommy Hanson ready?
    jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Post by jfraser375 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:04 am

How long has it been since the Sox brought up a highly-touted position player? Borchard was already a bustout when they brought him up.

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:24 pm

Rob, I know you love Ramirez at SS, and I admit, he is a very good defensive shortstop, however, if Beckham is close to that level, or the same, or just a step below....do you move Alexei to CF and Beckham to SS, keeping one position stable, but improving the weakest position by leaps and bounds?? I don't know what the answer is, but I just hope Beckham isn't plopped at 3b ...unless all attempts to keep him in the middle fail.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:45 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Rob, I know you love Ramirez at SS, and I admit, he is a very good defensive shortstop, however, if Beckham is close to that level, or the same, or just a step below....do you move Alexei to CF and Beckham to SS, keeping one position stable, but improving the weakest position by leaps and bounds?? I don't know what the answer is, but I just hope Beckham isn't plopped at 3b ...unless all attempts to keep him in the middle fail.

Hell, I'd be fine with that. I'm only joking when asking if Beckham can play CF. I haven't heard anything all that positive about Beckham's defensive skills at SS, so I'm a bit fearful there'd be some fall-off with putting him there. That said, I don't actually "love" Ramirez at SS. He's good and occasionally sensational, but I've seen him look a little bit mortal there lately.
    jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Post by jfraser375 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:05 pm

I don't want to see guys like Getz and Nix in the starting lineup anymore. Make Beckham the starting 2B unless he shows he can't handle the job.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:16 pm

I think I saw that Fields is the better OPS of Fields or Getz. Frankly, I just prefer Getz in the game to Fields. I think Getz is more versatile, and Fields offers no power anymore. Fields' defense is bad at third base, he strikes out incessantly...I'd use Getz at 2B and play Beckham at 3B for now. Anyway, I might not be surprised to see Beckham moving around a little for a while, which is probably no way to bring a guy up and introduce him to the majors.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:47 pm