Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

A FARCE!!!!

Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

A FARCE!!!!

Post by Harry Caray on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Maybe the Sox hitters will start hitting and the Sox pitchers will stop walking opposing batters right in time for the Playoffs so John can get to the WORLD SERIES PARADE!!!!

BELIEVE!!!!

SPANK!!!!!

What a pile of shit this team is.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Re: A FARCE!!!!

Post by sox55 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:Maybe the Sox hitters will start hitting and the Sox pitchers will stop walking opposing batters right in time for the Playoffs so John can get to the WORLD SERIES PARADE!!!!

BELIEVE!!!!

SPANK!!!!!

So.......I guess SOMEBODY IS watching?.....Shocked

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:28 pm

sox55 wrote:
    Gordon Beckham wrote:Maybe the Sox hitters will start hitting and the Sox pitchers will stop walking opposing batters right in time for the Playoffs so John can get to the WORLD SERIES PARADE!!!!
    BELIEVE!!!!
    SPANK!!!!!

Come on John ...bobby, a lawyer ..Sox, a car wreck ...of course he's watching....(just spankin' your chain bob)
    jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Post by jfraser375 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:09 pm

The Sox are up to eleven walks allowed as of the seventh.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:21 pm

jfraser375 wrote:The Sox are up to eleven walks allowed as of the seventh.

Why do we torture ourselves??

I gotta get up really early - I think I will hope for the best and call it a night in a few minutes.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:53 am

sox55 wrote:

BELIEVE!!!!

SPANK!!!!!

Watched a few walks and Kipnis hit the ball up the middle to knock in two runs!! Thought about the futility of leading cheers for a shit team. Turned it right off.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:07 am

Gordon Beckham wrote:
    sox55 wrote:

BELIEVE!!!!

SPANK!!!!!

Watched a few walks and Kipnis hit the ball up the middle to knock in two runs!! Thought about the futility of leading cheers for a shit team. Turned it right off.

Well, you missed the most boring game ever played by a first place team in the middle of a "pennant race" in late September. What a joke MLB pennant races have become. A dozen walks, many 0-2 counts going to 3-2, numerous pitching changes and every one of them, I believe, gave up at least one walk. And this against a team who is as inept as the Sox at leaving men in scoring position. A "first place" team giving up a dozen walks in the middle of a "pennant race" is, to borrow a phrase from Al, HILARIOUS.

That isn't even getting to their offensive output of pop-up after pop-up after pop-up. Completely harmless outs without a chance of being misplayed.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:43 am

This team is a pile of shit. A Kenny Williams masterpiece.
    They would not be in any sort of race if they weren't in this garbage Division.

How do these ASSHOLES market APPRECIATE THE GAME when they can't play it.....YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR??????
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:04 pm

jaywit wrote:
    Gordon Beckham wrote:
    sox55 wrote:

BELIEVE!!!!

SPANK!!!!!

Well, you missed the most boring game ever played by a first place team in the middle of a "pennant race" in late September. What a joke MLB pennant races have become. A dozen walks, many 0-2 counts going to 3-2, numerous pitching changes and every one of them, I believe, gave up at least one walk. And this against a team who is as inept as the Sox at leaving men in scoring position. A "first place" team giving up a dozen walks in the middle of a "pennant race" is, to borrow a phrase from Al, HILARIOUS.

That isn't even getting to their offensive output of pop-up after pop-up after pop-up. Completely harmless outs without a chance of being misplayed.

Tully said, "Let's get the hell out of here" in the 5th inning. We waited for the 6th and I was done with my beer. She was straining at the leash to get us out of there. Tully doesn't believe anymore.

Last edited by alohafri on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:This team is a pile of shit. A Kenny Williams masterpiece.
    They would not be in any sort of race if they weren't in this garbage Division.

How do these ASSHOLES market APPRECIATE THE GAME when they can't play it.....YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR??????

Walking in a run to give up the lead in the team's biggest game of the year to date speaks volumes to the lack of quality of baseball being played. This is poor and boring baseball and will attract no one from the younger crowd and is losing interest from the knowledgable fanbase. Some significant rule changes to the game are in the future to keep the fanbase e.g., maximum limit to pitchers allowed to pitch in an inning, time limits on mound discussions, inability of a batter to call time once he's in the box. In this increasingly face-paced, sound-byte society, no one is going to stand for the cat and mouse game between pitchers, batters, baserunners. The subtle nuances of the game that we appreciate won't cut it in the action craving society. And, the subtle nuances are fucking irritating to student/fans of the game when they occur in the middle of bad baseball games.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:39 pm

You are preaching to the choir here!!!!!

THERE is nobody in generations younger than we are who wants to waste 4 hours watching SHIT BASEBALL while they root root root for the White Sox.
    The loyalty of younger people is to INSTANT GRATIFICATION....
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:You are preaching to the choir here!!!!!

THERE is nobody in generations younger than we are who wants to waste 4 hours watching SHIT BASEBALL while they root root root for the White Sox.
    The loyalty of younger people is to INSTANT GRATIFICATION....

Baseball playoffs and world series TV ratings get trounced every year when it goes head to head with NFL or college football and the degree to which it gets trounced gets greater and greater. I'm glad NBA doesn't start until after the series otherwise baseball would lose to that as well. It's time to use the technology available. Take the ball/strike away from the umps, technology is more accurate and just as quick and there's no arguing. Use another recent technologic advancement called the clock. Limit how long a batter can be outside of the box getting his signals or scratching his nertz. If he goes over, it's a strike. Limit how much time a pitcher has to throw a pitch once the batter is in the box. If he goes over, it's a ball. Allow no more than two pitching changes within an inning. You make two changes and the 3rd pitcher doesn't have it, you're fucking stuck. Use instant replay for safe/out calls and allow a manager 3 challenges per game.

Bottom line is to speed up the tempo of the game. Bobby is right, it's a bore. The masses want action and so do the purists. The mind games between opposing players are irritating and useless when a pitcher can't even throw a strike. Watch chess if you want mind games.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:06 pm

jaywit wrote:It's time to use the technology available. Take the ball/strike away from the umps, technology is more accurate and just as quick and there's no arguing.

I agree with the balls/strikes and the instant replay for not only safe and out but fair/foul balls and other similar things.... whether the fielder lost the ball in transfer or never had control. Remove the ball/strike arguing and the game automatically should move quicker. No more nibbling because of the whim of the umpire. And with that, hopefully the check swing is automatically called from a perpendicular view that can tell whether the bat crosses the plate.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:21 pm

None of this is going to speed up the game until the Book Of LaRussa is burned in a bonfire.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:31 pm

alohafri wrote:None of this is going to speed up the game until the Book Of LaRussa is burned in a bonfire.

Limit to two pitching changes (no more than 3 pitchers per inning) in an inning and that will char that book a good deal.
    jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Post by jfraser375 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Didn't the league once experiment with a rule requiring the pitcher to deliver in X seconds? I remember the umps using stop watches. Or is this just me getting senile?

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:41 pm

jfraser375 wrote:Didn't the league once experiment with a rule requiring the pitcher to deliver in X seconds? I remember the umps using stop watches. Or is this just me getting senile?

It still is ..20 seconds between pitches ..however, the caveat is that is when nobody is on base. With runners on, there is no clock, AND, of course, the batter has to be in the box.

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Limit to two pitching changes (no more than 3 pitchers per inning) in an inning and that will char that book a good deal.

Problem is Jay, if you have a guy who is the 3rd pitcher, and he has nothing and is getting rocked..the inning can last forever as the other team bats around...then the game is essentially over and no shorter ..

There is already a rule that a pitcher has to face one hitter..just expand that to 3 hitters(or 4)...essentially wiping out this LaRussa lefty-righty-lefty bullshit, and in reality, reducing the number used. It allows one pitcher to go longer, yet, 3 or 4 hitters may not cause too much damage if he has nothing

Other things - why does a guy who has warmed up in the pen for 15 minutes have to take 10 more warmup on the mound during an inning? Forget that ...walk in, start pitching
    # Once a batter steps into the box, he can't leave..no walking out in between pitches..can step out with one leg to get the sign, then right back in..no human Mark Hargrove rain delays, no Nomar and the dam gloves, no Konerko posing and swinging..
    # limit catcher (or any infielders) trips to the mound to one an inning and 3 a game ...
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:24 am

Chi-kid wrote:
    jfraser375 wrote:Didn't the league once experiment with a rule requiring the pitcher to deliver in X seconds? I remember the umps using stop watches. Or is this just me getting senile?

It still is ..20 seconds between pitches ..however, the caveat is that is when nobody is on base. With runners on, there is no clock, AND, of course, the batter has to be in the box.

A 20 second limit once the batter is in the box and no one is on base is really no limit. The batter would step out long before 20 seconds would pass. Also, what happens if a pitcher goes over 20 seconds?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:30 am

jaywit wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

A 20 second limit once the batter is in the box and no one is on base is really no limit. The batter would step out long before 20 seconds would pass. Also, what happens if a pitcher goes over 20 seconds?

He is forced to drink Malort.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:35 am

jaywit wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

Give the pitcher 30 seconds and the batter 10 seconds to get in the box once the pitcher has the ball. Quick workers might be pitching every 12-18 seconds like Buehrle did. If the batter is not ready at the ten second mark, tough. No stepping out unless obvious issue like dirt or bug in the eye and time is called. No more than one hitter time out per at bat, with 30-second clock cycle starting again immediately. Common sense dictates if possible injury (foul off foot, ankle, etc.) or catcher bell rung, etc.

Just throwing thoughts out there, but surely something enforceable could be implemented. I'm a purist, I think, back to the days of my youth, but even with all the new rules, it would not be straying that far from what the game used to be, with exception of taking advantage of computer technology.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 am

alohafri wrote:He is forced to drink Malort.

That got a loud laugh, Kevin. Vinnie came wondering what happened.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:41 am

Chi-kid wrote:Limit to two pitching changes (no more than 3 pitchers per inning) in an inning and that will char that book a good deal.

Problem is Jay, if you have a guy who is the 3rd pitcher, and he has nothing and is getting rocked..the inning can last forever as the other team bats around...then the game is essentially over and no shorter ..

There is already a rule that a pitcher has to face one hitter..just expand that to 3 hitters(or 4)...essentially wiping out this LaRussa lefty-righty-lefty bullshit, and in reality, reducing the number used. It allows one pitcher to go longer, yet, 3 or 4 hitters may not cause too much damage if he has nothing

Other things - why does a guy who has warmed up in the pen for 15 minutes have to take 10 more warmup on the mound during an inning? Forget that ...walk in, start pitching
    # Once a batter steps into the box, he can't leave..no walking out in between pitches..can step out with one leg to get the sign, then right back in..no human Mark Hargrove rain delays, no Nomar and the dam gloves, no Konerko posing and swinging..
    # limit catcher (or any infielders) trips to the mound to one an inning and 3 a game ...
    I like all of these ideas and I like better your idea of increasing the number of batters a pitcher must face than the 3 pitchers per inning limit.

Bottom line is the tempo of the game must pick up. Many games are decided by the 7th inning but I still have interest to see certain players come to bat. All of that interest is overcome by incessant delays with pitching changes, mound discussions, batters stepping in and out and I give up, turn it off, check out the boxscore at a later time. Baseball won't die but in it's current form, it's already been surpassed in TV ratings by basketball and I won't be surprised at all if in our lifetime it falls in popularity/ratings to the level of the NHL. Going to a game is a great way to spend a summer afternoon or evening but unless it's a great game, it's become a rather mediocre and boring thing to see on TV.

Oh, and one more thing. Go back to 154 game seasons. Baseball on Halloween is fucking ridiculous.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:44 am

alohafri wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

He is forced to drink Malort.
    Laughing bounce cheers drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken cheers bounce Laughing lol! lol!
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

Give the pitcher 30 seconds and the batter 10 seconds to get in the box once the pitcher has the ball. Quick workers might be pitching every 12-18 seconds like Buehrle did. If the batter is not ready at the ten second mark, tough. No stepping out unless obvious issue like dirt or bug in the eye and time is called. No more than one hitter time out per at bat, with 30-second clock cycle starting again immediately. Common sense dictates if possible injury (foul off foot, ankle, etc.) or catcher bell rung, etc.

Just throwing thoughts out there, but surely something enforceable could be implemented. I'm a purist, I think, back to the days of my youth, but even with all the new rules, it would not be straying that far from what the game used to be, with exception of taking advantage of computer technology.

I agree completely, Jim, and I'm a baseball purist, too. I'd bet the majority of current fans would want these changes and would have a better chance at bringing in the new generations of fans.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:36 am