Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Friday and the Royals

Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Friday and the Royals

Post by Nomads44 on Sat May 30, 2009 3:31 am

Wasn't it great to see that inning with the consecutive singles and I think every one of them being a 1st and 3rd situation. Been a long time since I'd been that excited watching the White Sox.

And again, while I am watching Getz at 2B looks like a Gold Glove.

I guess I am glad I do not see him play when he is the statue. His bat bothers me more. Way too many fly balls and he seems to be swinging for fly balls instead of ground balls. Geez, he ABOUT beat out that nubber to the pitcher in the 8th or 9th. I was amazed Hawk or Stone did not comment on his hustle.

I like the kid a lot. I wish he would just put more balls in play on the ground.

Decent effort by Richard again.

Saw Tim Hulett's dad Thursday morning and he was going to KC to watch his grandkid Tug play this weekend. I asked him to take me along, but he must not of heard me. Smile

I was getting ready for work and came out of the bathroom to see him trotting back to the dugout after hitting a line drive that Wise made a decent catch on. I missed the announcement if they caught the PH. I was surprised I did not hear Hawk mention he was ex-Sox Tim's son. Was there mention and I just missed that, too? (I was hoping to see him bat, and like I said, I came out to see Wise catch it, but not Tug hit it.)
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Re: Friday and the Royals

Post by sox55 on Sat May 30, 2009 5:22 am

Nomads44 wrote:Wasn't it great to see that inning with the consecutive singles and I think every one of them being a 1st and 3rd situation. Been a long time since I'd been that excited watching the White Sox.

And again, while I am watching Getz at 2B looks like a Gold Glove.

I guess I am glad I do not see him play when he is the statue. His bat bothers me more. Way too many fly balls and he seems to be swinging for fly balls instead of ground balls. Geez, he ABOUT beat out that nubber to the pitcher in the 8th or 9th. I was amazed Hawk or Stone did not comment on his hustle.

I like the kid a lot. I wish he would just put more balls in play on the ground.

Decent effort by Richard again.

Saw Tim Hulett's dad Thursday morning and he was going to KC to watch his grandkid Tug play this weekend. I asked him to take me along, but he must not of heard me. Smile

I was getting ready for work and came out of the bathroom to see him trotting back to the dugout after hitting a line drive that Wise made a decent catch on. I missed the announcement if they caught the PH. I was surprised I did not hear Hawk mention he was ex-Sox Tim's son. Was there mention and I just missed that, too? (I was hoping to see him bat, and like I said, I came out to see Wise catch it, but not Tug hit it.)

Nomads, I know that the "stats geeks" say that Getz is not a good 2ndb but I swear I have watched most of the games this season and he is as good defensively and probably better than any I have seen in a Sox uniform my entire life. I agree with you about his offense, he absolutely needs to adjust to the League as they have already adjusted to him. If Getzs' defense were our only problem, we would be playoff-bound.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sat May 30, 2009 10:01 am

sox55 wrote:

Nomads, I know that the "stats geeks" say that Getz is not a good 2ndb but I swear I have watched most of the games this season and he is as good defensively and probably better than any I have seen in a Sox uniform my entire life. I agree with you about his offense, he absolutely needs to adjust to the League as they have already adjusted to him. If Getzs' defense were our only problem, we would be playoff-bound.

I like Getz. I see him and Beckham as our infielders for a long time.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Sat May 30, 2009 11:49 am

I like what I've seen with Getz as he looks better than what the stats seem to indicate. In the games I've seen, in the field I like Nix more than Getz. Wish one of them would become more consistent at the plate.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Sat May 30, 2009 11:51 am

Nomads44 wrote:

No, he didn't mention it. I heard the name and thought it must be a relation but I didn't hear either Hawk or Stone comment upon it.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat May 30, 2009 2:38 pm

[quote="alohafri"]
    sox55 wrote:

[size=12] Stat guys don't have defense down pat by any means but they are working on it. What they're trying to measure is the real key - how many balls a guy gets to v. the number he should. They chart how many grounders within his coverage zones a guy gets to by type (hard, medium, soft.) They go back and watch videotape replays to refine the decisions. There are imperfections to these systems but they can't be waved off as a bunch of "stat geeks".. If a guy doesn't bobble balls and seems to move well we think he looks good, but there's more to it than that. How quick is his first step ? How lengthy is his range ? People who really dissect this have better answers and the fact that Getz is currently ranked as one of the worst defensive 2bmen in baseball is worth pondering. I don't consider that gospel either, especially since the season is only 1/3 over and he's new to the league and not familiar with how to position players. He may not be that bad after all is said and done. But it's also hard to accept the statement that he's a good defensive 2bman without any factual support whatsover for that claim.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:53 pm