Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

why Reed

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

why Reed

Post by frank bonifacic on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Bringing him in in non save situation because Robin got him up and he gat heated. ERA in non save situation is 6.30.

well there's one out.

Don't know enough about pitching (out # 2) does this have an effect on him if brought in as opposed to just warming up?

There's # 3. Helps his ERA in non save situation. Great game by Quintana and big win. Can't get knocked out of first by Tigers. One or especially 2 more would be really nice.
    jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Re: why Reed

Post by jfraser375 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:08 pm

What a joke Reed is. Does he even get a blown save today? I don't think so. If the Sox do make the playoffs, they don't have anyone close to being a reliable closer.

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:04 pm

jfraser375 wrote:What a joke Reed is. Does he even get a blown save today? I don't think so. If the Sox do make the playoffs, they don't have anyone close to being a reliable closer.

I think they will go with Reed until they can use Myers when his games finished clause can't vest and trigger an 11 mil player option for next year.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:04 pm

jfraser375 wrote:What a joke Reed is. Does he even get a blown save today? I don't think so. If the Sox do make the playoffs, they don't have anyone close to being a reliable closer.

He might have gotten a hold, again exposing a very misleading statistic.
    jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Post by jfraser375 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:22 pm

At this point, I'd be more comfortable watching Nate Jones try closing out the ninth. When you need to use Thornton to bale out your closer, you know it's all gone to hell.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Nomads44 wrote:

He might have gotten a hold, again exposing a very misleading statistic.

I looked it up wondering the same thing, Jim. You need to record an out to qualify for a hold.

Also, in reference to Frank's initial post, I think this was a save situation.

So, Reed doesn't get a blown hold or hold, doesn't get a blown save yet he pitched like shit. His ERA goes up slightly, his WHIP goes up more. I didn't jump into the argument at the time but WHIP, I believe, is as important as any statistic for a reliever.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:39 pm

jaywit wrote: I didn't jump into the argument at the time but WHIP, I believe, is as important as any statistic for a reliever.

I'm in the vast minority, but I have been looking at WHIP for pitchers since the 60's. It is the most telling and important stat to me. Right behind are ERA, K/9 and HR/9. Wins and losses mean least to me. Kershaw had eight straight quality starts recently and very little to show for it.

Meanwhile, each day in the paper, it seems some starter gives up 4/5 runs and comes up a winner. Too much depends on the offense behind him. The WHIP and K/9 is almost all on the pitcher.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:05 am