Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

I don't know what I just saw

jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

I don't know what I just saw

Post by jfraser375 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:18 pm

So I'm gonna pretend the White Sox won 7-2 tonight.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: I don't know what I just saw

Post by Cream1953 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:25 pm

Never a doubt in my mind. Cool

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:32 pm

Come on ..that was a GREAT game ..1977 all over again. Blew it, but didn't give it up and came back to win it ...and the guys who are supposed to win the games ..Dunn and Konerko, did so ..I didn't see the attendance, but thats the kind of game that brings the casual fan back ..exciting to the end. Home runs. Bad pitching ..and good pitching....clutch singles and doubles ..the team's best relievers both sucking eggs ...Very enjoyable game to watch and really, exhibited the beauty of the game..
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Come on ..that was a GREAT game ..1977 all over again. Blew it, but didn't give it up and came back to win it ...and the guys who are supposed to win the games ..Dunn and Konerko, did so ..I didn't see the attendance, but thats the kind of game that brings the casual fan back ..exciting to the end. Home runs. Bad pitching ..and good pitching....clutch singles and doubles ..the team's best relievers both sucking eggs ...Very enjoyable game to watch and really, exhibited the beauty of the game..

You forgot about Clutch Walks!
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:40 pm

I just replayed the ninth inning in its entirety. Great entertainment. You could hear in Hawk's tone he was afraid things would end badly when Humber gave up the homer. Quickly his tone changed from dread to disgust as the Sox impossibly gave up the lead.

And Seattle gave it right back. If Wise gets the bunt down instead of walking, the Sox are a sure loser. They NEVER succeed when giving up an out.

I suppose from a fan standpoint and maybe even for the morale of the team, it's better to win this way than have Reed get the strikeout in the top of the ninth and win 7-6.

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:17 am

jfraser375 wrote:I just replayed the ninth inning in its entirety. Great entertainment. You could hear in Hawk's tone he was afraid things would end badly when Humber gave up the homer. Quickly his tone changed from dread to disgust as the Sox impossibly gave up the lead.

And Seattle gave it right back. If Wise gets the bunt down instead of walking, the Sox are a sure loser. They NEVER succeed when giving up an out.

I suppose from a fan standpoint and maybe even for the morale of the team, it's better to win this way than have Reed get the strikeout in the top of the ninth and win 7-6.

Let Reed get that strike out for a 7-6 win. My wife was ready to have me commited after all the screaming she heard at the TV. After she heard me screaming fucking Addison Reed, she called me an idiot and a knucklehead and went to bed.

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:03 am

Looks like the KARK fell asleep too early.

Anyway, Magic Number down to 36. Hopefully it will be no higher than 34 come monday morning. Sox will be lucky if its 29 or less going into Detroit next Friday. Again, the war of attrition so far is in the White Sox favor, but a little more breathing room would be nice
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:11 am

Chi-kid wrote:Come on ..that was a GREAT game ..1977 all over again. Blew it, but didn't give it up and came back to win it ...and the guys who are supposed to win the games ..Dunn and Konerko, did so ..I didn't see the attendance, but thats the kind of game that brings the casual fan back ..exciting to the end. Home runs. Bad pitching ..and good pitching....clutch singles and doubles ..the team's best relievers both sucking eggs ...Very enjoyable game to watch and really, exhibited the beauty of the game..

That 9th inning just shows the STATHEADS of the world what a HUMAN game it is.
    First off, what in the Hell is Reed throwing some guy named Jaso three straight fastballs for? Reed is NOT Rich Gossage.
    Youkilis was cool. Down in the count...fooled by breaking pitches....sitting on the damned fastball and driving it up the middle.

THAT is baseball to me....not some damned fool statistical probabilities.

The only NUMBERS that matter now are the numbers of dollars owed on the PLAYOFF INVOICE!!!

APPRECIATE THE GAME!!!!

FUCK idiot articles about "secondary stats"!

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:39 am

Gordon Beckham wrote:

That 9th inning just shows the STATHEADS of the world what a HUMAN game it is.
    First off, what in the Hell is Reed throwing some guy named Jaso three straight fastballs for? Reed is NOT Rich Gossage.
    Youkilis was cool. Down in the count...fooled by breaking pitches....sitting on the damned fastball and driving it up the middle.

THAT is baseball to me....not some damned fool statistical probabilities.

The only NUMBERS that matter now are the numbers of dollars owed on the PLAYOFF INVOICE!!!

APPRECIATE THE GAME!!!!

FUCK idiot articles about "secondary stats"!

WHAT BOBBY SAID MULTIPLIED BY 1.8!!!
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:58 am

Kark, get on board the SFOD Fanboy Group Outings bandwagon!!!
    Wolf down a quick 6 in the Patio before a PLAYOFF GAME!!!!
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:22 am

Reed definitely is not Rich Gossage. But he's only a rookie. I'm holding out hope he'll become more reliable at some point.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:29 am

Here is what you should be asking yourself....baseball wise.....WHO IN THE HELL IS CALLING THE PITCHES???? Why is Reed throwing 3 straight fastballs down the middle to some guy you have never heard of!!!!!
    THE DAMNED COUNT WAS 0-2!!!
    Throw the ball OUTSIDE THE ZONE!!!
    If you must throw a FASTBALL AFTER THROWING 2 STRAIGHT FASTBALLS, THROW IT AT EYE LEVEL TO THIS GUY!!!!

Reed's PROJECTED FUTURE is IRRELEVANT.
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:39 am

Reed said after the game that his pitching was off and he was throwing too high.

Nobody called for a strike in that situation. He was supposed to be wasting one.

When a guy comes in with a three-run lead and blows the save, I'm not looking for someone on the bench to blame. The blame is obvious. Pitch calling is irrelevant. The blown save was on Reed.

The Sox are among the league leaders in blown saves this year. This wouldn't even be a close pennant race if they had a more reliable closer and more reliable setup men.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:43 am

After she heard me screaming fucking Addison Reed, she called me an idiot and a knucklehead and went to bed.

************************************************************************************************

I'm betting no boom-boom for Winstonage last night! Very Happy
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:53 am

jfraser375 wrote:Reed said after the game that his pitching was off and he was throwing too high.

Nobody called for a strike in that situation. He was supposed to be wasting one.

When a guy comes in with a three-run lead and blows the save, I'm not looking for someone on the bench to blame. The blame is obvious. Pitch calling is irrelevant. The blown save was on Reed.

The Sox are among the league leaders in blown saves this year. This wouldn't even be a close pennant race if they had a more reliable closer and more reliable setup men.
    Now pitch calling is irrelevant?????

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:26 am

Cream1953 wrote:After she heard me screaming fucking Addison Reed, she called me an idiot and a knucklehead and went to bed.

************************************************************************************************

Nope, and today is our anniversary, and tonight is not looking to good either!

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:29 am

jfraser375 wrote:Reed said after the game that his pitching was off and he was throwing too high.

They do have a more reliable closer in Myers. He ain't closing because he has an 11 million dollar option that vests with so many games finished, which will easily happen if he closes.

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:31 am

If you must throw a FASTBALL AFTER THROWING 2 STRAIGHT FASTBALLS, THROW IT AT EYE LEVEL TO THIS GUY!!!!

It was supposed to be ..AJ was set up high, glove up ..Reed just didn't locate.
    It happens. The KID, and he is a kid, blew his 4th save of the season ..okay..thats not too bad. He looked bad last night, he admitted he sucked, that shit happens ..thats why baseball is a game of failure.
    Time for him to rattle off about 10 saves in a row.

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:31 am

jfraser375 wrote:Reed definitely is not Rich Gossage. But he's only a rookie. I'm holding out hope he'll become more reliable at some point.

Was rich gossage, "rich gossage" in his rookie year?

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:34 am

They do have a more reliable closer in Myers. He ain't closing because he has an 11 million dollar option that vests with so many games finished, which will easily happen if he closes.

I don't know if he's "more reliable", but it does explain why he isn't closing when i thought for sure he would be when he came over. Anyway, now that this fact is known, the minute the number of games left is less than the number he needs to be vested, use him if needed.
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:46 am

A team ranked fifth in the league in fewest runs allowed seems to be calling its pitches pretty well. No good closer throws a strike down the middle with an 0-2 count in a critical game situation. This has nothing to do with Pierz or the bench.

With last night's sorry performance, Addison Reed secured his position as one of the worst closers in the American League. He ranks 13th out of 14 in ERA and 13th out of 14 in WHIP. Has he had a single 1-2-3 inning in the month of August?

Unfortunately, Ventura has to play the hand dealt. Myers actually had a worse WHIP (1.34 vs 1.29) while pitching in the National League!

It is absolutely amazing to me that Ventura has jockeyed this highly flawed team with a melt-down bullpen into first place and kept them there all season long. Has there ever been a more deserving manager of the year? He gets jumped on for his pitching changes, but open your eyes, people. The entire bullpen is crap. What difference does it make which clown he hands the ball to? They're all equally capable of blowing the opportunity.
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:49 am

Reed is slowly working his way up from drama princess to queen.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:56 am

winstonage wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:After she heard me screaming fucking Addison Reed, she called me an idiot and a knucklehead and went to bed.

Nope, and today is our anniversary, and tonight is not looking to good either!

You better hope for a Sox blow out...or a rain out. affraid
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:57 am

Chi-kid wrote:
    jfraser375 wrote:Reed definitely is not Rich Gossage. But he's only a rookie. I'm holding out hope he'll become more reliable at some point.

Was rich gossage, "rich gossage" in his rookie year?

He was Rich Gossage...just not GOOSE Gossage.
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:08 pm

Goose Gossage had a winning record in his rookie year, but his numbers were worse than Reed's overall. Still, I don't see how Reed has done anything to make Goose Gossage comparisons relevant. At this point, it's kind of like drawing comparisons between Gordon Beckham and Rod Carew.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:43 pm