Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Fifty Shades of Gray

Blondy28
    Roof Shot

Fifty Shades of Gray

Post by Blondy28 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:58 am

I haven't read it nor have I any intention of doing so, but it's a phenomenon. Anyone's spouse's read(ing) it? Gotta figure if they do, that's only good for hubby.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Fifty Shades of Gray

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:50 pm

I haven't read it nor have I any intention of doing so

**********************************************************************************************

Yeah yeah yeah...and I'm anorexic. study
    jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Post by jfraser375 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Blondy, Fifty Shades of Gray has been characterized as one of the most poorly-written best-sellers ever (as was Twilight). I've become a real snob when it comes to the novels I'll read. A reader has to be selective these days. Amazing how much unreadable stuff is on the shelves.

All that being said, my office manager is an avid reader and a very intelligent woman. She LOVED the Twilight series. (Fifty Shades of Gray is considered twilight "fan fiction"). Everybody has their own tastes, I guess.

From what I've been told, the hero in Fifty Shades of Grey is a domineering brute of a man (as was the hero of Twilight when you come down to it). A lot of female readers go for the bad boy (easy to relate, since I've always had a thing for the bad girl . . . particularly if she has long black hair and a scorpion tattoo on the small of her back). From what I know of you though, I seriously doubt you'd like this character, and that means you probably wouldn't like the book.

If you're looking for a can't put it down novel, go with Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. A guy comes home to a ransacked house. His wife is missing, and he soon becomes the primary suspect. This story is brilliantly written from the husband's point of view realtime and the wife's through entries in a diary she left behind. Good underlying sense of humor throughout the book and a real surprise in the middle. I finished this page turner in about two days.

Another novel that is an absolutely amazing piece of writing, particularly with regard to character development is A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. The novel follows a group of loosely-connected characters involved in the music industry (Cream and kark might like this book). The quality of writing is so good, I read this one twice.

By the way, I rewrote The Vagrant and retitled it The Witch of the Hills. The hero and heroine are sixteen now, putting them more solidly in the Young Adult genre. A pitch to a Sourcebooks editor went well a month ago and the full manuscript is now on her desk waiting for her to decide whether she wants to buy it. Presuming she doesn't, I've had some glowing reviews by beta readers I trust, so my plan is to shop this novel around for a few months to see whether another publisher bites. Tough market right now though. Most of these houses are losing money and only going with the tried and true authors despite the fact their work has gotten tired.

Final recourse is to self publish probably next spring and advertise heavily before the Halloween season. I'm thinking billboard within view of a campus (Circle?) The cover art is already done and is a real killer. No wording other than WitchOfTheHills.com. Plan is for kids to look at it and say what is that? A movie? A video game? They click on the website and I draw them in strongly enough to sell the book. That's the plan, anyway.

Thanks for having your kid give my novel an early read. I've gone through two or three drafts since then. The project is four years old! The story is essentially the same, but the writing has been tightened, and a couple interesting secondary characters have been added.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:28 pm

the hero in Fifty Shades of Grey is a domineering brute of a man

**********************************************************************************************

As I understand it, the book doesn't really have a hero Joe and the male character is a suave, charming, young millionaire entreprenure type who just so happens to be into BDSM. His name is Christian. There are three books that make up a trilogy. I haven't read them but know several who have. Most everyone I know who's read it loves it and gives two shits about the technical writing aspects of it. lol If you want to see a fucking laugh out loud video go to You Tube and punch in the 50 Shades of Grey Saturday Night Live satire they broadcasted over Mother's Day weekend. Absolutely hilarious.

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:54 pm

Cream1953 wrote:the hero in Fifty Shades of Grey is a domineering brute of a man

As I understand it, the book doesn't really have a hero Joe and the male character is a suave, charming, young millionaire entreprenure type who just so happens to be into BDSM. His name is Christian. There are three books that make up a trilogy. I haven't read them but know several who have. Most everyone I know who's read it loves it and gives two shits about the technical writing aspects of it. lol If you want to see a fucking laugh out loud video go to You Tube and punch in the 50 Shades of Grey Saturday Night Live satire they broadcasted over Mother's Day weekend. Absolutely hilarious.

Didn't the book start out as an E-book on line...and it went so viral that a publisher picked it up and made it into a real book? ..at least thats the story I heard.
    Blondy28
    Roof Shot

Post by Blondy28 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:57 pm

jfraser375 wrote:From what I've been told, the hero in Fifty Shades of Grey is a domineering brute of a man (as was the hero of Twilight when you come down to it). A lot of female readers go for the bad boy (easy to relate, since I've always had a thing for the bad girl . . . particularly if she has long black hair and a scorpion tattoo on the small of her back). From what I know of you though, I seriously doubt you'd like this character, and that means you probably wouldn't like the book.

If you're looking for a can't put it down novel, go with Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. A guy comes home to a ransacked house. His wife is missing, and he soon becomes the primary suspect. This story is brilliantly written from the husband's point of view realtime and the wife's through entries in a diary she left behind. Good underlying sense of humor throughout the book and a real surprise in the middle. I finished this page turner in about two days.

Joe, you are absolutely right. I have no interest at all in reading any of the Twilight books, nor Fifty Shades of Grey. For the most part, I prefer crime, mystery-type books. Turow is one of my favorite authors. Another great book...A Case of Need. It was Michael Crichton's first book, which he wrote under a pseudonym. Brief description from Amazon:

"This book won the 1968 Edgar Award for best mystery novel of the year. An obstetrician has been accused of performing an illegal abortion in Boston in the late 1960's. A pathologist discovers that the girl, who died in the emergency room of a hospital, wasn't even pregnant. He sets out to clear his friend of the charges."
    jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Post by jfraser375 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Chi-Kid, that's pretty much what happened with Fifty Shades of Gray. It came out of nowhere and the publishers chased down the author when her book went viral.

Most wildly popular fiction isn't well-written. The Ludlum books are a good example. With a bestseller, either the story or the characters (Jason Bourne) captivate readers who could care less whether the novels have any literary merit. Literary novels on the other hand (even Pulitzer Prize winners) don't often make a lot of money.

My writing has made me a snob about what I'll read. But I can't plow through most literary novels, either. So I look for the novels a cut above mainstream quality such as the two I mentioned in my other post. Two years ago, while taking a break from my writing, I got a Kindle and decided to read a novel per week. Twenty-two books into the project, I ran out of books I'd enjoy reading. End of project.

Yet many of the bad ones do make good movies . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:54 am