Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    Jake Peavy

    Share
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Jake Peavy

    Post by Nomads44 on Thu May 21, 2009 8:17 am

    Peavy for Poreda, Richard, Brian Anderson and Alexei??

    If it is Alexei, would that kill it for anyone? I'm even surprised to hear me say it, but I'd jump at it!! If it is Beckham, that makes it pretty tough for me, but I still might do it and hope Alexei is going to get it back together again.

    I'd love it if one of the four was Fields, but it appears the Padres are happy with Kouzmanoff, having moved top prospect Headley to the OF. But they seem to be needing a CF same as us.

    Giles is another they want to move, and we have complained about OBP all year long. SD certainly wants to be dumping salary. If he can still play CF, is a second deal possible? Anyone know how many years we would be stuck with that? (I've never thought of him as a CF, but I think I might have seen his name at CF in some box scores.)
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7132
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    RE: Jake Peavy

    Post by alohafri on Thu May 21, 2009 9:09 am

    I won't like it if Peavy is a one year "rental" player. I think we have bigger holes than our starting rotation. That being said, he would be a tremendous pickup if I could believe it.

    Trading Alexai would not bother me one bit. He seems to be living on last year. So far, I have seen him move backwards this year.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by Guest on Thu May 21, 2009 10:06 am

    Nomads44 wrote:Peavy for Poreda, Richard, Brian Anderson and Alexei??

    If it is Alexei, would that kill it for anyone? I'm even surprised to hear me say it, but I'd jump at it!! If it is Beckham, that makes it pretty tough for me, but I still might do it and hope Alexei is going to get it back together again.

    I'd love it if one of the four was Fields, but it appears the Padres are happy with Kouzmanoff, having moved top prospect Headley to the OF. But they seem to be needing a CF same as us.

    Giles is another they want to move, and we have complained about OBP all year long. SD certainly wants to be dumping salary. If he can still play CF, is a second deal possible? Anyone know how many years we would be stuck with that? (I've never thought of him as a CF, but I think I might have seen his name at CF in some box scores.)

    I'm sure Bobby ACORN will kick me out of the fanboy club for saying this, but it's the KARK's opinion that not only 2009 is a lost cause, but 2010 as well.

    In the KARK's theory of team building, you grow you lineup and buy your pitchers. Obviously, this is more of a suggestion that an absolute. But given that pitchers tend to be more unpredictable and more injury prone than a position player, I would emphasis building the lineup. You can always by an Ace.

    As for Ramirez, don't let a severe sophomore slump scare you off. This type of thinking screwed the Sox out of Sosa and Cameron. Let's not add Ramirez to the list.

    As for Peavy, the time to get him was last July. Now it makes no sense since the horse already left the barn
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7132
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by alohafri on Thu May 21, 2009 10:15 am

    THE KARK wrote:
    I'm sure Bobby ACORN will kick me out of the fanboy club for saying this, but it's the KARK's opinion that not only 2009 is a lost cause, but 2010 as well.

    In the KARK's theory of team building, you grow you lineup and buy your pitchers. Obviously, this is more of a suggestion that an absolute. But given that pitchers tend to be more unpredictable and more injury prone than a position player, I would emphasis building the lineup. You can always by an Ace.

    As for Ramirez, don't let a severe sophomore slump scare you off. This type of thinking screwed the Sox out of Sosa and Cameron. Let's not add Ramirez to the list.

    As for Peavy, the time to get him was last July. Now it makes no sense since the horse already left the barn

    I don't see Ramirez as having a sophmore slump. I see him as trying to be something he is not...chicks dig the long ball. I haven't liked what I have seen out of him thus far. Even last year I thought of him as suspect.
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    All over the Chicago radio waves

    Post by Nomads44 on Thu May 21, 2009 10:44 am

    For the non-Chicago folks, or those at work, this has been all over the radio this morning. WSCR is perpetually discussing it.

    Some are saying it is a smokescreen, and now if it is snubbed, Peavy is the bad guy and the Sox appear to have been the ones that did all they could. The deal is purportedly solid and approved between the Sox and Padres, and Peavy is the only thing that can stop it. If the Sox know he will stop it, they had no risk.

    However, it was also mentioned that Kenny went to Linebrink and Linebrink called ex-teammate Peavy and tried to smooth any concerns.

    Should be an interesting afternoon.

    Note: Padres is a great pitchers' park and the Cell is just the opposite. Will Peavy handle it well? Does he want to set himself up for it? And he wants to stay in the NL.

    frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2470
    Join date : 2009-04-05

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by frank bonifacic on Thu May 21, 2009 10:59 am

    alohafri wrote:
    THE KARK wrote:
    I'm sure Bobby ACORN will kick me out of the fanboy club for saying this, but it's the KARK's opinion that not only 2009 is a lost cause, but 2010 as well.

    In the KARK's theory of team building, you grow you lineup and buy your pitchers. Obviously, this is more of a suggestion that an absolute. But given that pitchers tend to be more unpredictable and more injury prone than a position player, I would emphasis building the lineup. You can always by an Ace.

    As for Ramirez, don't let a severe sophomore slump scare you off. This type of thinking screwed the Sox out of Sosa and Cameron. Let's not add Ramirez to the list.

    As for Peavy, the time to get him was last July. Now it makes no sense since the horse already left the barn

    I don't see Ramirez as having a sophmore slump. I see him as trying to be something he is not...chicks dig the long ball. I haven't liked what I have seen out of him thus far. Even last year I thought of him as suspect.

    I am not yet discouraged about Alexei and I would not like to lose him. That seems like an awful lot to give up. Yeah, I know he's a Number 1 pitcher.
    Poreda is supposed to be the real deal. Knowing the Sox history regarding PAYING people, how long do we have Peavy? As opposed to letting our young guys develop and look to the future.
    This must be a baseball discussion because I seem to be in the Kark's corner on this one. I don't know if Peavy is enough to turn this season around.

    FB
    avatar
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 3603
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 57
    Location : Spokane, WA

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by jaywit on Thu May 21, 2009 11:04 am

    This is likely the last year that we'll see the Dye/Thome/Konerko trio and this trade feels like the final effort to get the most out of these three. Questions in my mind include duration of Peavy's contract--I agree with Aloha, I wouldn't want a less than a year rent-a-player. Are the White Sox a Peavy away from taking the the central division? Maybe, but they're more than a Peavy away from winning a post season series. As others have asked, Who could San Diego possibly be interested in? I don't know the team well enough to know what they're looking for but it won't be any of our stiffs. I wouldn't want to lose Beckham, Ramirez, or Poreda in this trade.

    frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2470
    Join date : 2009-04-05

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by frank bonifacic on Thu May 21, 2009 11:09 am

    jaywit wrote:This is likely the last year that we'll see the Dye/Thome/Konerko trio and this trade feels like the final effort to get the most out of these three. Questions in my mind include duration of Peavy's contract--I agree with Aloha, I wouldn't want a less than a year rent-a-player. Are the White Sox a Peavy away from taking the the central division? Maybe, but they're more than a Peavy away from winning a post season series. As others have asked, Who could San Diego possibly be interested in? I don't know the team well enough to know what they're looking for but it won't be any of our stiffs. I wouldn't want to lose Beckham, Ramirez, or Poreda in this trade.


    Peavy's deal is 15 next year, 16 in 2011, 17 in 2012 and 22 in 2013 (or 4 buyout) I'm sure everyone nows that we are talking millions.
    Deal is supposedly contingent on Peavy OKing the deal. He has said that he wants to stay in National League. No definite word on who the Sox players are.

    FB
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by Nomads44 on Thu May 21, 2009 11:10 am

    frank bonifacic wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    THE KARK wrote:
    I'm sure Bobby ACORN will kick me out of the fanboy club for saying this, but it's the KARK's opinion that not only 2009 is a lost cause, but 2010 as well.

    In the KARK's theory of team building, you grow you lineup and buy your pitchers. Obviously, this is more of a suggestion that an absolute. But given that pitchers tend to be more unpredictable and more injury prone than a position player, I would emphasis building the lineup. You can always by an Ace.

    As for Ramirez, don't let a severe sophomore slump scare you off. This type of thinking screwed the Sox out of Sosa and Cameron. Let's not add Ramirez to the list.

    As for Peavy, the time to get him was last July. Now it makes no sense since the horse already left the barn


    I don't see Ramirez as having a sophmore slump. I see him as trying to be something he is not...chicks dig the long ball. I haven't liked what I have seen out of him thus far. Even last year I thought of him as suspect.

    I am not yet discouraged about Alexei and I would not like to lose him. That seems like an awful lot to give up. Yeah, I know he's a Number 1 pitcher.
    Poreda is supposed to be the real deal. Knowing the Sox history regarding PAYING people, how long do we have Peavy? As opposed to letting our young guys develop and look to the future.
    This must be a baseball discussion because I seem to be in the Kark's corner on this one. I don't know if Peavy is enough to turn this season around.

    FB


    Those that have known me for years on these boards know that the last thing I want to do is give away young and coming talent. But Peavy, for me anyway, is an exception. He is just entering his prime and he is locked up for I think three years, with an option for a fourth, though that option is extremely expensive.... $22M.

    We have collectively complained for a long time that the Sox won't spend the money required to bring in a top player. If Peavy is going to contend for the Cy Young each year we have him, then we settle back to Buehrle and Danks as VERY solid #2 and #3.... whereas as the #1 and #2, we were still hurting at the back end, and they were not deemed #1 and #2 quality, though Danks may get to that point.

    Floyd and Contreras or Colon as #5 certainly is more tolerable than all three of them in the rotation.

    In fact, the above makes me wonder if maybe Floyd could be in it. In San Diego, is Floyd even a bigger bargain, and while not cheap, is certainly young and making nothing close to what Peavy is making. Maybe he becomes their ace. And maybe Floyd's name is not being mentioned yet to keep him because of the potential damage it might do to his psyche if it falls through.

    Now if names like Beckham and Flowers and Viciedo are in the players to be named later, then I think we are indeed hurting our future. But Beckham is in a position to replace Alexei if he has to be included.

    frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2470
    Join date : 2009-04-05

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by frank bonifacic on Thu May 21, 2009 11:20 am

    Nomads44 wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    THE KARK wrote:
    I'm sure Bobby ACORN will kick me out of the fanboy club for saying this, but it's the KARK's opinion that not only 2009 is a lost cause, but 2010 as well.

    In the KARK's theory of team building, you grow you lineup and buy your pitchers. Obviously, this is more of a suggestion that an absolute. But given that pitchers tend to be more unpredictable and more injury prone than a position player, I would emphasis building the lineup. You can always by an Ace.

    As for Ramirez, don't let a severe sophomore slump scare you off. This type of thinking screwed the Sox out of Sosa and Cameron. Let's not add Ramirez to the list.

    As for Peavy, the time to get him was last July. Now it makes no sense since the horse already left the barn


    I don't see Ramirez as having a sophmore slump. I see him as trying to be something he is not...chicks dig the long ball. I haven't liked what I have seen out of him thus far. Even last year I thought of him as suspect.

    I am not yet discouraged about Alexei and I would not like to lose him. That seems like an awful lot to give up. Yeah, I know he's a Number 1 pitcher.
    Poreda is supposed to be the real deal. Knowing the Sox history regarding PAYING people, how long do we have Peavy? As opposed to letting our young guys develop and look to the future.
    This must be a baseball discussion because I seem to be in the Kark's corner on this one. I don't know if Peavy is enough to turn this season around.

    FB


    Those that have known me for years on these boards know that the last thing I want to do is give away young and coming talent. But Peavy, for me anyway, is an exception. He is just entering his prime and he is locked up for I think three years, with an option for a fourth, though that option is extremely expensive.... $22M.

    We have collectively complained for a long time that the Sox won't spend the money required to bring in a top player. If Peavy is going to contend for the Cy Young each year we have him, then we settle back to Buehrle and Danks as VERY solid #2 and #3.... whereas as the #1 and #2, we were still hurting at the back end, and they were not deemed #1 and #2 quality, though Danks may get to that point.

    Floyd and Contreras or Colon as #5 certainly is more tolerable than all three of them in the rotation.

    In fact, the above makes me wonder if maybe Floyd could be in it. In San Diego, is Floyd even a bigger bargain, and while not cheap, is certainly young and making nothing close to what Peavy is making. Maybe he becomes their ace. And maybe Floyd's name is not being mentioned yet to keep him because of the potential damage it might do to his psyche if it falls through.

    Now if names like Beckham and Flowers and Viciedo are in the players to be named later, then I think we are indeed hurting our future. But Beckham is in a position to replace Alexei if he has to be included.

    Great post, but it leaves me just as conflicted. The three guys you mentioned are also guys I would not like to lose. You do make a great point about the huge upgrade to the pitching staff.
    The only problem is who could we give them that would cement the deal without including some of our "can't fail" stars to be.

    FB
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by Nomads44 on Thu May 21, 2009 11:30 am

    frank bonifacic wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    THE KARK wrote:
    I'm sure Bobby ACORN will kick me out of the fanboy club for saying this, but it's the KARK's opinion that not only 2009 is a lost cause, but 2010 as well.

    In the KARK's theory of team building, you grow you lineup and buy your pitchers. Obviously, this is more of a suggestion that an absolute. But given that pitchers tend to be more unpredictable and more injury prone than a position player, I would emphasis building the lineup. You can always by an Ace.

    As for Ramirez, don't let a severe sophomore slump scare you off. This type of thinking screwed the Sox out of Sosa and Cameron. Let's not add Ramirez to the list.

    As for Peavy, the time to get him was last July. Now it makes no sense since the horse already left the barn


    I don't see Ramirez as having a sophmore slump. I see him as trying to be something he is not...chicks dig the long ball. I haven't liked what I have seen out of him thus far. Even last year I thought of him as suspect.

    I am not yet discouraged about Alexei and I would not like to lose him. That seems like an awful lot to give up. Yeah, I know he's a Number 1 pitcher.
    Poreda is supposed to be the real deal. Knowing the Sox history regarding PAYING people, how long do we have Peavy? As opposed to letting our young guys develop and look to the future.
    This must be a baseball discussion because I seem to be in the Kark's corner on this one. I don't know if Peavy is enough to turn this season around.

    FB


    Those that have known me for years on these boards know that the last thing I want to do is give away young and coming talent. But Peavy, for me anyway, is an exception. He is just entering his prime and he is locked up for I think three years, with an option for a fourth, though that option is extremely expensive.... $22M.

    We have collectively complained for a long time that the Sox won't spend the money required to bring in a top player. If Peavy is going to contend for the Cy Young each year we have him, then we settle back to Buehrle and Danks as VERY solid #2 and #3.... whereas as the #1 and #2, we were still hurting at the back end, and they were not deemed #1 and #2 quality, though Danks may get to that point.

    Floyd and Contreras or Colon as #5 certainly is more tolerable than all three of them in the rotation.

    In fact, the above makes me wonder if maybe Floyd could be in it. In San Diego, is Floyd even a bigger bargain, and while not cheap, is certainly young and making nothing close to what Peavy is making. Maybe he becomes their ace. And maybe Floyd's name is not being mentioned yet to keep him because of the potential damage it might do to his psyche if it falls through.

    Now if names like Beckham and Flowers and Viciedo are in the players to be named later, then I think we are indeed hurting our future. But Beckham is in a position to replace Alexei if he has to be included.

    Great post, but it leaves me just as conflicted. The three guys you mentioned are also guys I would not like to lose. You do make a great point about the huge upgrade to the pitching staff.
    The only problem is who could we give them that would cement the deal without including some of our "can't fail" stars to be.

    FB

    The thing is, it is a done deal if Peavy accepts, so it is not who COULD we give them, but who DID we give them. Many of us, if we knew, might be hoping that Peavy rejects this. But as much as I love pitching and low scoring games, I sure hope this works out and we DIDN'T offer the players we are worried about.

    I have heard more than once now that Beckham is definitely NOT in the package, but I have not heard the same about Alexei or Viciedo, so I am presuming at least one of them is in there. If two of them are from among Alexei, Viciedo and Flowers, then I think we are overpaying again, but for Peavy, I think I MIGHT be able to get used to it. We'd have him at 28, 29, 30 and 31... the years considered the prime years of a career.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7132
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by alohafri on Thu May 21, 2009 11:35 am

    Nomads44 wrote:
    The thing is, it is a done deal if Peavy accepts, so it is not who COULD we give them, but who DID we give them. Many of us, if we knew, might be hoping that Peavy rejects this. But as much as I love pitching and low scoring games, I sure hope this works out and we DIDN'T offer the players we are worried about.

    I have heard more than once now that Beckham is definitely NOT in the package, but I have not heard the same about Alexei or Viciedo, so I am presuming at least one of them is in there. If two of them are from among Alexei, Viciedo and Flowers, then I think we are overpaying again, but for Peavy, I think I MIGHT be able to get used to it. We'd have him at 28, 29, 30 and 31... the years considered the prime years of a career.

    I read on the trade rumors site and Yahoo that all four being offered are pitchers, including Poreda and Richard. Poreda doesn't bother me. He could be the latest in a long line of "David Clyde" can't miss prospects that the White Sox have had. Peavy is major league ready now.
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by Nomads44 on Thu May 21, 2009 11:46 am

    alohafri wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:
    The thing is, it is a done deal if Peavy accepts, so it is not who COULD we give them, but who DID we give them. Many of us, if we knew, might be hoping that Peavy rejects this. But as much as I love pitching and low scoring games, I sure hope this works out and we DIDN'T offer the players we are worried about.

    I have heard more than once now that Beckham is definitely NOT in the package, but I have not heard the same about Alexei or Viciedo, so I am presuming at least one of them is in there. If two of them are from among Alexei, Viciedo and Flowers, then I think we are overpaying again, but for Peavy, I think I MIGHT be able to get used to it. We'd have him at 28, 29, 30 and 31... the years considered the prime years of a career.

    I read on the trade rumors site and Yahoo that all four being offered are pitchers, including Poreda and Richard. Poreda doesn't bother me. He could be the latest in a long line of "David Clyde" can't miss prospects that the White Sox have had. Peavy is major league ready now.

    Amen to the Poreda/David Clyde comment. If they are all four pitchers...even if one is Floyd (NOT DANKS), then Hallelujah.

    But as I typed NOT DANKS, it occurred to me that Danks turned the Sox offer down, and the Sox do not seem to like that from their players. Thus, now, if all are pitchers, my guess is that one of them IS Danks. With their idea that the money they would have given Danks will go to Peavy instead. A new sticky wicket there. Danks may be VERY very good and he certainly is not going to cost as much for a very long time.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7132
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by alohafri on Thu May 21, 2009 11:51 am

    Nomads44 wrote:
    Amen to the Poreda/David Clyde comment. If they are all four pitchers...even if one is Floyd (NOT DANKS), then Hallelujah.

    But as I typed NOT DANKS, it occurred to me that Danks turned the Sox offer down, and the Sox do not seem to like that from their players. Thus, now, if all are pitchers, my guess is that one of them IS Danks. With their idea that the money they would have given Danks will go to Peavy instead. A new sticky wicket there. Danks may be VERY very good and he certainly is not going to cost as much for a very long time.

    I think Richards is the only one who is a major leaguer.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by Guest on Thu May 21, 2009 5:44 pm

    Note: Padres is a great pitchers' park and the Cell is just the opposite. Will Peavy handle it well? Does he want to set himself up for it? And he wants to stay in the NL.[/quote]


    I believe Peavy's ERA is 1 run higher outside of San Diego ....mmmm. None of the 4 guys the Sox are rumored to give up are worth crying over. Dimes to donuts, Ramirez plays CF for the Padres ..Poreda is a big unknown. Isn't he pitching in relief in AAA? Whats that about? and Brian Anderson can go dog it in the sun of So.Cal.
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Peavy Nixes the trade

    Post by Nomads44 on Thu May 21, 2009 6:38 pm

    Padres SP Jake Peavy has invoked his no-trade clause, nixing a deal that would have sent him to the White Sox, Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports.
    avatar
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

    Posts : 1045
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Location : Portage Park

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by TeleFrank on Thu May 21, 2009 10:47 pm

    Nomads44 wrote: WSCR is perpetually discussing it.

    They stopped talking about the Bears !!! OMG

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by Guest on Fri May 22, 2009 6:42 am

    THE KARK wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:Peavy for Poreda, Richard, Brian Anderson and Alexei??

    If it is Alexei, would that kill it for anyone? I'm even surprised to hear me say it, but I'd jump at it!! If it is Beckham, that makes it pretty tough for me, but I still might do it and hope Alexei is going to get it back together again.

    I'd love it if one of the four was Fields, but it appears the Padres are happy with Kouzmanoff, having moved top prospect Headley to the OF. But they seem to be needing a CF same as us.

    Giles is another they want to move, and we have complained about OBP all year long. SD certainly wants to be dumping salary. If he can still play CF, is a second deal possible? Anyone know how many years we would be stuck with that? (I've never thought of him as a CF, but I think I might have seen his name at CF in some box scores.)

    I'm sure Bobby ACORN will kick me out of the fanboy club for saying this, but it's the KARK's opinion that not only 2009 is a lost cause, but 2010 as well.

    In the KARK's theory of team building, you grow you lineup and buy your pitchers. Obviously, this is more of a suggestion that an absolute. But given that pitchers tend to be more unpredictable and more injury prone than a position player, I would emphasis building the lineup. You can always by an Ace.

    As for Ramirez, don't let a severe sophomore slump scare you off. This type of thinking screwed the Sox out of Sosa and Cameron. Let's not add Ramirez to the list.

    As for Peavy, the time to get him was last July. Now it makes no sense since the horse already left the barn

    YOU ARE KICKED OUT OF FANBOY NATION.

    THIS POST IS WELL THOUGHT OUT AND RATIONAL.

    I WON'T TELL AL IN CAL YOU HAVE ABANDONED SHIP.
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by Nomads44 on Fri May 22, 2009 7:03 am

    Bobbyrosebowl wrote:
    THE KARK wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:Peavy for Poreda, Richard, Brian Anderson and Alexei??

    If it is Alexei, would that kill it for anyone? I'm even surprised to hear me say it, but I'd jump at it!! If it is Beckham, that makes it pretty tough for me, but I still might do it and hope Alexei is going to get it back together again.

    I'd love it if one of the four was Fields, but it appears the Padres are happy with Kouzmanoff, having moved top prospect Headley to the OF. But they seem to be needing a CF same as us.

    Giles is another they want to move, and we have complained about OBP all year long. SD certainly wants to be dumping salary. If he can still play CF, is a second deal possible? Anyone know how many years we would be stuck with that? (I've never thought of him as a CF, but I think I might have seen his name at CF in some box scores.)

    I'm sure Bobby ACORN will kick me out of the fanboy club for saying this, but it's the KARK's opinion that not only 2009 is a lost cause, but 2010 as well.

    In the KARK's theory of team building, you grow you lineup and buy your pitchers. Obviously, this is more of a suggestion that an absolute. But given that pitchers tend to be more unpredictable and more injury prone than a position player, I would emphasis building the lineup. You can always by an Ace.

    As for Ramirez, don't let a severe sophomore slump scare you off. This type of thinking screwed the Sox out of Sosa and Cameron. Let's not add Ramirez to the list.

    As for Peavy, the time to get him was last July. Now it makes no sense since the horse already left the barn

    YOU ARE KICKED OUT OF FANBOY NATION.

    THIS POST IS WELL THOUGHT OUT AND RATIONAL.

    I WON'T TELL AL IN CAL YOU HAVE ABANDONED SHIP.

    Isn't your "buying an ace" exactly what this would have done?? Poreda and Richard might be fine, but I don't think you would find many takers that the two of them combined will prove better than what Peavy is and he is at the perfect age. It is now coming out the two PTBNL were likely lesser name pitchers.

    I think Peavy would have filled the park moreso than any pitcher we have had in recent years, so he would bring in money, his salary this year was not all that bad, the "bad" is coming. I did not see it at all as a win now move, which I hate.... I saw it most definitely as the team building move for the next few years - if Kenny did not have to give up our big name kids.

    For a change, hitting is what we seem to have coming up in the system. KW would not have given away a single bit of it. I applaud him for this one, the Quentin one and the Danks one. All were former #1 prospects of their organizations which means the type of production recently seen is what those players should give you. Hopefully the Sox have gotten out of their habit of making foolish picks. Certainly, there are no guarantees, but as Bobby has posted so many times, many of them have given zero ROI.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by Guest on Fri May 22, 2009 7:54 am

    Nomads44 wrote:
    Isn't your "buying an ace" exactly what this would have done??

    NO

    The KARK's general theory is that you don't buy your Ace until you are capable of competing. When 2/3 of your lineup is sucking ass, you are not ready to compete. And when 2/3 of the productive third is slow, old and in their free agent year, it's doubtful that they would compete in 2010. So acquiring Peavy would be like buying a BMW while living in a trailer park.

    BTW, the general theory is more of a suggestion than an absolute.
    avatar
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 3603
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 57
    Location : Spokane, WA

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by jaywit on Fri May 22, 2009 2:51 pm

    [quote="Nomads44"]
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    THE KARK wrote:
    I'm sure Bobby ACORN will kick me out of the fanboy club for saying this, but it's the KARK's opinion that not only 2009 is a lost cause, but 2010 as well.

    In the KARK's theory of team building, you grow you lineup and buy your pitchers. Obviously, this is more of a suggestion that an absolute. But given that pitchers tend to be more unpredictable and more injury prone than a position player, I would emphasis building the lineup. You can always by an Ace.

    As for Ramirez, don't let a severe sophomore slump scare you off. This type of thinking screwed the Sox out of Sosa and Cameron. Let's not add Ramirez to the list.

    As for Peavy, the time to get him was last July. Now it makes no sense since the horse already left the barn


    I don't see Ramirez as having a sophmore slump. I see him as trying to be something he is not...chicks dig the long ball. I haven't liked what I have seen out of him thus far. Even last year I thought of him as suspect.

    I am not yet discouraged about Alexei and I would not like to lose him. That seems like an awful lot to give up. Yeah, I know he's a Number 1 pitcher.
    Poreda is supposed to be the real deal. Knowing the Sox history regarding PAYING people, how long do we have Peavy? As opposed to letting our young guys develop and look to the future.
    This must be a baseball discussion because I seem to be in the Kark's corner on this one. I don't know if Peavy is enough to turn this season around.

    FB



    In fact, the above makes me wonder if maybe Floyd could be in it. In San Diego, is Floyd even a bigger bargain, and while not cheap, is certainly young and making nothing close to what Peavy is making. Maybe he becomes their ace. And maybe Floyd's name is not being mentioned yet to keep him because of the potential damage it might do to his psyche if it falls through.

    quote]This treating Floyd like such a delicate flower is wearing thin. With the falling through of this trade, it's time for Floyd to man up and pitch a decent game. Otherwise, trade him to a contender for a prospect.
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by Nomads44 on Fri May 22, 2009 4:23 pm

    jaywit wrote:This treating Floyd like such a delicate flower is wearing thin. With the falling through of this trade, it's time for Floyd to man up and pitch a decent game. Otherwise, trade him to a contender for a prospect.[/i][/b]

    The way he has been throwing, I doubt a contender would want him.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Jake Peavy

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:05 pm