Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

"Mickey Mantle....The Last Boy" by Jane Leavy

Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

"Mickey Mantle....The Last Boy" by Jane Leavy

Post by Harry Caray on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:56 am

While watching the Mighty White Sox a few weeks ago, I learned that Hawk Harrelson is far from an idiot and just plays one on TV to fire up the juices of the Fanboys, as Mart likes to say.
    Harrelson took a break from cheerleading and umpire baiting to recommend two books. The Veeck book that Frank has commented on and this book about Mantle.
    I majored in History, and usually read books about Hitler and Stalin for LIGHT READING.

I had the book about Mantle, and pulled it out...partly to see what Harrelson was so moved by..kind of expecting the book to be FANBOY nonsense glorifying Mantle based upon Hawk's public persona.

THE BOOK WAS ONE OF THE MOST GUT WRENCHING THINGS I HAVE READ IN YEARS.

Everything is in there...the guts, the glory, the alcoholism, twisted relationships with family members, cancer and death.

The book gives one pause....Sure, I am going to keep bitching about White Sox players and assclowns like Nick Swisher......BUT everybody is human.

The book is so damned good because it is non judgmental...just lays it all out there.

I can only guess as to how much this book affected Harrelson....My guess is it shook him to his core.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: "Mickey Mantle....The Last Boy" by Jane Leavy

Post by jaywit on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:While watching the Mighty White Sox a few weeks ago, I learned that Hawk Harrelson is far from an idiot and just plays one on TV to fire up the juices of the Fanboys, as Mart likes to say.
    Harrelson took a break from cheerleading and umpire baiting to recommend two books. The Veeck book that Frank has commented on and this book about Mantle.
    I majored in History, and usually read books about Hitler and Stalin for LIGHT READING.

I had the book about Mantle, and pulled it out...partly to see what Harrelson was so moved by..kind of expecting the book to be FANBOY nonsense glorifying Mantle based upon Hawk's public persona.

THE BOOK WAS ONE OF THE MOST GUT WRENCHING THINGS I HAVE READ IN YEARS.

Everything is in there...the guts, the glory, the alcoholism, twisted relationships with family members, cancer and death.

The book gives one pause....Sure, I am going to keep bitching about White Sox players and assclowns like Nick Swisher......BUT everybody is human.

The book is so damned good because it is non judgmental...just lays it all out there.

I can only guess as to how much this book affected Harrelson....My guess is it shook him to his core.
    Thanks for the tip, Gordo. I'll check it out.

For books to recommend against, I suggest Johnny Bench's autobiography. He has a couple, this is the one written in 1980. I wanted some insight into the 1970's Reds and there's very little of it. He mostly writes in summaries about the games and key events, minimal insights and no more info than one could get reading from a newpaper article. Then, he gives in depth detail about how easy it is to get sex as a major leaguer and his many meaningless encounters. I don't recommend it.

However, one interesting account he gave during the '75 series. He's talking about game 6, going out to catch the bottom of the 12th and Fisk is leading off. Pat Darcy is on the mound and Bench indicates that he knows the game is over. He says he "knows the score is tied, the fans are really into this game, but I know it's over." He had no confidence in Darcy, their last available pitcher for that game. Fisk's homer came as little surprise to Bench.

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:50 pm

You might have already read it, but if not, I recommend "The Coming of the Third Reich" by Richard J. Evans. Delves more into the inner workings of the Nazis. How and why they developed, Germany in the 1918-1930 era, and just well read. I am reading it now. (I won't let you know how it turns out..shhhhhh)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:25 am