Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Great pitching

jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Great pitching

Post by jfraser375 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:32 pm

Who didn't expect a meltdown in this situation? Sox score two in the top of the first, so Gavin Floyd naturally loads the bases in the bottom of the inning with two singles and a walk. Robinson Cano comes up. One of the most dangerous hitters in baseball and one of the best this June. But Floyd puts on a breaking ball clinic. He has Cano shaking his head on strike two before the pitcher to home to first double play on the fourth pitch. Then comes Swisher, batting .333 this year with runners in scoring position and less than two outs. Floyd strikes him out with ease and makes him look like a clown in the process.

For all I know, Floyd might get pounded the rest of the way, but this was one hell of a gutsy performance to start the game.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Great pitching

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:55 pm

GEE WHIZ!!!!
    I bet this has NEVER happened to the MIGHTY YANKEES in their history!!!!
    Floyd is paid to get batters OUT!!!!
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:13 pm

Floyd's the pussy of the staff. You give him a lead and he doesn't ever seem to know how to hold onto it. Mr. Gutless collapses like a 4 dollar folding chair. .
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:27 pm

Hey, he struck out NICK SWISHER to end the bottom of the 1st!!!!
    That is quite the Drysdalesque accomplishment.
    The Sox are sending the ball to the Hall of Fame.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:33 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Floyd's the pussy of the staff. You give him a lead and he doesn't ever seem to know how to hold onto it. Mr. Gutless collapses like a 4 dollar folding chair. .

Does this team honestly think that it can make the playoffs with Gavin Floyd anywhere in the rotation? The guy is a total waste.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Floyd's the pussy of the staff. You give him a lead and he doesn't ever seem to know how to hold onto it. Mr. Gutless collapses like a 4 dollar folding chair. .

I don;t think I have ever seen Stone and Hawk call out a pitcher like this. It was subtle but--when Floyd walked Texeira on 4 pitches, Stone said that sometimnes when a batter has a good record against you, you're AFRAID to throw strikes.

And then Hawk says, "instead of being extra carefula nd going 2-0 3-1, get a first pitch strike over. You either get ahead or you get him on. Basically said if you're afraid of him, might as well throw 1st pitch strike. Said that at least twice. Seemed more than a little pissed watching that 2-0 3-1 which is more dangereous

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:47 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:

I don;t think I have ever seen Stone and Hawk call out a pitcher like this. It was subtle but--when Floyd walked Texeira on 4 pitches, Stone said that sometimnes when a batter has a good record against you, you're AFRAID to throw strikes.

And then Hawk says, "instead of being extra carefula nd going 2-0 3-1, get a first pitch strike over. You either get ahead or you get him on. Basically said if you're afraid of him, might as well throw 1st pitch strike. Said that at least twice. Seemed more than a little pissed watching that 2-0 3-1 which is more dangereous

Score also mentioned that when you don't have a rhythm-especially in heat, try to work saa little faster and get into a rhythm. Said Floyd was working slower and slower-think he was implying that he's afraid.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:54 pm

FLOYD HAS HELD THE SOX IN THE GAME.
    Plain and simple.
    In a real rotation, he's a #5 starter.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Look, I know we have those BLINDED by the GREATNESS AND POTENTIAL OF ONE Gordon Beckham, but this Robinson Cano guy is kind of good and gets hits off pitchers NOT named Floyd, too.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:FLOYD HAS HELD THE SOX IN THE GAME.
    Plain and simple.
    In a real rotation, he's a #5 starter.

Maybe in Triple A. Yeah, I know that once in a while he'll come up with a real gem, but most of his starts seem to be struggles like the one today. It's just frustrating watching Floyd continually nibble away trying to work his way out of self-induced problems.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Gee, maybe if PIERZYNSKI could get a hit with runners in SCORING POSITION, Floyd's outing isn't that TERRIBLE!!!
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:19 pm

120 fucking pitches in 6 innings is NOT a good outing. This team doesn't score runs consistently enough to compensate for that type of performance. The Yankees and Rangers can do it...the White Sox can't. All season long Floyd has been the one to let the team down when things are going good. His one good outing here and there doesn't make up for as many times he has sucked...and this has been going on with him for years now. I'd like to see his ass sent down until he gets his head and shit together. For thast matter, trade him if you can get anything at all for him,. I'd rather take my chances with another kid on the mound than with this pussy who looks like he's about ready to either cry or swoon everytime someone gets a hit off of him.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:30 pm

I'm not defending Floyd's overall performance this season or today. I am pointing out that he kept these dopes in the game.
    Hawk Harrelson has reverted to his usual FULL OF SHIT FORM.
    Last September he declared in his 50 years in baseball going deep in the count was the most overrated thing he has ever heard.
    Today the JACKASS says "The more pitches you see, the more dangerous you become"!!!!!
    I see where people like to look at him and post his thoughts as some sort of reinforcement for a point, but in 2 days he may state the opposite as gospel.
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Floyd struggled mightily with his control but pitched a gutsy game today. Look around the league at the #5 pitchers. Saying he is in that class or worse than that class is ludicrous. He's a middle of the rotation starter. Always was and always will be.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:00 pm

If I hear Harrelson say one more time how Floyd "really battled 'em today!" I'm gonna hurl.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:05 pm

jfraser375 wrote:Floyd struggled mightily with his control but pitched a gutsy game today. Look around the league at the #5 pitchers. Saying he is in that class or worse than that class is ludicrous. He's a middle of the rotation starter. Always was and always will be.

I am talking a REAL rotation!!!!
    Something missing all over 2 LEAGUES!!!! This IS the Modern Era.
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:GEE WHIZ!!!!

You'll have to watch a lot of Yankee games to see Cano have that weak an at bat with the bases loaded and nobody out. As for Swisher, he seems to annoyingly sting the Sox a lot. A strikeout in that case was by no means a forgone conclusion.

Incidentally, the Yankee announcers picked up on some angry words being exchanged between Floyd and Pierz around the end of the fifth inning. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall to hear who was blaming whom. I've never felt Pierz was the greatest pitch caller. On the other hand, Floyd has always had a ten cent brain. So the blame for those two homers could probably go either way.

One thing I have noticed with Floyd though -- and this might be what they were shouting about -- he seems to get afraid of the plate after somebody hits a homer. I do prefer a guy like Quintana who keeps throwing it in there no matter what.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:19 pm

jfraser375 wrote:
    Gordon Beckham wrote:GEE WHIZ!!!!

You'll have to watch a lot of Yankee games to see Cano have that weak an at bat with the bases loaded and nobody out. As for Swisher, he seems to annoyingly sting the Sox a lot. A strikeout in that case was by no means a forgone conclusion.

Incidentally, the Yankee announcers picked up on some angry words being exchanged between Floyd and Pierz around the end of the fifth inning. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall to hear who was blaming whom. I've never felt Pierz was the greatest pitch caller. On the other hand, Floyd has always had a ten cent brain. So the blame for those two homers could probably go either way.

One thing I have noticed with Floyd though -- and this might be what they were shouting about -- he seems to get afraid of the plate after somebody hits a homer. I do prefer a guy like Quintana who keeps throwing it in there no matter what.

The art of pitching is having the hitter hit the pitch you want him to. I don't care what the game situation was....bases loaded or no one on....Floyd had Cano hit his pitch. Plain and simple. NOBODY HITS .600!!!!

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:55 pm

Incidentally, the Yankee announcers picked up on some angry words being exchanged between Floyd and Pierz around the end of the fifth inning. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall to hear who was blaming whom. I've never felt Pierz was the greatest pitch caller.

I'm not sure Sox catcher's call the pitches. Why would they look into the dugout prior to every pitch unless Cooper was doing the calling? Maybe AJ was made cause Floyd shook off a pitch Cooper called...who knows.
    I've personally always felt the catcher, who is intimately involved in the game, knows what is really working, and knows the flow of the game, SHOULD call the pitches.
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:32 pm

Gordon Beckham wrote:Hey, he struck out NICK SWISHER to end the bottom of the 1st!!!!
    That is quite the Drysdalesque accomplishment.
    The Sox are sending the ball to the Hall of Fame.

Well Swisher was going for the RBI walk. Listened to the game on the radio for an inning or two. Laughed when Farmer pointed out that Swisher wore sun glasses at bat. Then he commented that it's hard enough to hit the ball without them.

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:55 am

Cream1953 wrote:If I hear Harrelson say one more time how Floyd "really battled 'em today!" I'm gonna hurl.

Don't stop now boys !!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:48 pm