Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Sale

jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Sale

Post by jfraser375 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Even this guy's slow stuff looks impossible to hit. When has a White Sox pitcher last looked this dominating game after game? McDowell? Maybe Contreras during his streak, but he never had this kind of command.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Sale

Post by jaywit on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:22 pm

jfraser375 wrote:Even this guy's slow stuff looks impossible to hit. When has a White Sox pitcher last looked this dominating game after game? McDowell? Maybe Contreras during his streak, but he never had this kind of command.
    I posted a similar thought about a month ago and now I think he's surpassing McDowell and Contreras. To find an equal, you may have to go back to Lamarr Hoyt in 1983 who had a phenomenal 2nd half.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:36 pm

jaywit wrote:
    jfraser375 wrote:Even this guy's slow stuff looks impossible to hit. When has a White Sox pitcher last looked this dominating game after game? McDowell? Maybe Contreras during his streak, but he never had this kind of command.
    I posted a similar thought about a month ago and now I think he's surpassing McDowell and Contreras. To find an equal, you may have to go back to Lamarr Hoyt in 1983 who had a phenomenal 2nd half.

Same with Bannister that season.
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:54 pm

On the other side of the spectrum is Will Ohman. I realize that every team has a sucky mop-up man or two on their roster, but how come we have to see ours so often? Seems like he's out there every other day.

There's got to be some guy in the minors they can bring up to fill his spot. No way would anyone do worse than this.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:11 pm

On the other side of the spectrum is Will Ohman.

Be it true or not, everytime I see this guy pitch I get the impression he's not even trying.

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:15 pm

jfraser375 wrote:On the other side of the spectrum is Will Ohman. I realize that every team has a sucky mop-up man or two on their roster, but how come we have to see ours so often? Seems like he's out there every other day.

There's got to be some guy in the minors they can bring up to fill his spot. No way would anyone do worse than this.

Donnie Veal is pitching very well, but I will give you over a million reasons why Ohman isn't going anywhere. Another Kenny overpay for a bad reliever.
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Kenny read my post and waived Ohman right after today's game. Interesting comments on B&B afterwards that the guy's a prick in the clubhouse. Overly arrogant even for a good pitcher, let alone for a human punching bag. Good fucking riddance.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:44 pm

jfraser375 wrote:Kenny read my post and waived Ohman right after today's game. Interesting comments on B&B afterwards that the guy's a prick in the clubhouse. Overly arrogant even for a good pitcher, let alone for a human punching bag. Good fucking riddance.

If you don;t like him, just say so
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:53 pm

jfraser375 wrote:Kenny read my post and waived Ohman right after today's game. Interesting comments on B&B afterwards that the guy's a prick in the clubhouse. Overly arrogant even for a good pitcher, let alone for a human punching bag. Good fucking riddance.
    Was that being mentioned before Ohman was let go? Lame radiomen if it wasn't because I'm sure they wouldn't have found out today that he was a prick.

On the positive side, in the span of 5 days Sox fans have been given the gift of never again having to see Ohman, Stewart or Lillibridge in a Sox uni. It took long enough but gotta give KW kudos for this week's work.
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:16 pm

No Jay, they mentioned it afterward. Good point, although B&B aren'tt he types to skirt around an issue. I don't listen to the show often. Maybe they've mentioned this in the past.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:51 pm

jaywit wrote:
    Was that being mentioned before Ohman was let go? Lame radiomen if it wasn't because I'm sure they wouldn't have found out today that he was a prick.

On the positive side, in the span of 5 days Sox fans have been given the gift of never again having to see Ohman, Stewart or Lillibridge in a Sox uni. It took long enough but gotta give KW kudos for this week's work.

Yeah, all of the sudden some smart moves. Maybe Kenny Williams is on vacation, and some intern is handling things... Smile

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Ohman is a former Cub. He must have read Ron Santo's book on how to get along with other people (the one with the forward co-authored by Don Young and Dick Allen).
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:46 pm

What was just as interesting is that the first call on the post game show was about Ohman and why is he on this team. Naturally, Rongey, who I think secretly wants to do the cub post game shows, took the opportunity to go off on said caller. (paraphrasing) "Will Ohman isn't an important cog on this team. So what if he goes out there and gets hammered everytime he is in. It doesn't matter."

Right. I realize that every team has someone designated (or not designated) as a mop up man. But this guy never seemed to improve. I'd rather see some kid out there and get his ass kicked than some over the hill ex-cub who will never improve.

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:43 pm

alohafri wrote:

What was just as interesting is that the first call on the post game show was about Ohman and why is he on this team. Naturally, Rongey, who I think secretly wants to do the cub post game shows, took the opportunity to go off on said caller. (paraphrasing) "Will Ohman isn't an important cog on this team. So what if he goes out there and gets hammered everytime he is in. It doesn't matter."

Right. I realize that every team has someone designated (or not designated) as a mop up man. But this guy never seemed to improve. I'd rather see some kid out there and get his ass kicked than some over the hill ex-cub who will never improve.

Ohman was never really used properly. He should have been a situational lefty. Face lefties only. They used him against righties as well, and multiple innings.When you have 3 lefties in the pen, you can afford a guy to just get a lefty out.. Anyway, glad to see him gone.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:14 am

Soxillinirob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

Same with Bannister that season.

We have all expressed our knowledgeable but amateur opiinio9ns on his "stuff". Here's a little snapshot of him from an expert;

"He's got some funk to it," Minnesota's Justin Morneau said of Sale. "His breaking ball, for it to go for a strike, pretty much has to start behind you. And he's got pretty good feel for it also; when he needs to get a strike with it he can. And when he's ahead in the count and feels he needs to get you to chase, he's got that one. He has plus-velocity and reach back for 95 mph when he needs it. So it makes it tough to stay back with a 15-20 mph difference."

Must be nice to know that he agrees with you Joe
    jfraser375

Post by jfraser375 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:09 am

That's a real interesting description from a hitter's perspective. Must be mind-blowing to see a curve start out behind you and curve right over the plate.

What I've noticed from my amateur perspective is that his first pitches in particular are always low in the strike zone, either inside or outside, and they seem a lot quicker than what the speed gun shows. I believe the technical term for that is fucking nasty.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:28 pm