Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Al's TOUT Gavin Floyd

Al's TOUT Gavin Floyd

Post by Guest on Mon May 11, 2009 9:43 pm

Fantastic outing by Gavin Floyd!!!!
    Al in Cal's latest tout!!!
    Kiss of Death.....Coach Fanboy talks you up.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Al's TOUT Gavin Floyd

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon May 11, 2009 10:59 pm

I suspect Gavin will get it together soon enough and pitch some nice games, but this year's start for him is another example of placing WAY too much emphasis on a small body of work, i.e. last season. People had annointed him our #1 or #2 starter here last year, ignoring the fact that he'd struggled for a couple of years prior to 2008, and had only about 1/2 to 2/3 of a solid season under his belt up to that point. My point last year and continuing into this year is that the guy has far too inconsistent of stuff to turn into a #1 star starter anytime soon. His curve is nasty, but is hard for him to locate for multiple game stretches at times. Floyd leaves far too many balls up in the strike zone with a flashing "hit me" sign on them.

If there's a lesson to be learned, it's to not overvalue a three to five month span of good pitching, and then overlook a seven year body of solid work.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue May 12, 2009 11:25 am

Bobbyrosebowl wrote:Fantastic outing by Gavin Floyd!!!!
    Al in Cal's latest tout!!!
    Kiss of Death.....Coach Fanboy talks you up.

I'm more concerned with the at least one error a game streak we have going.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue May 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:I suspect Gavin will get it together soon enough and pitch some nice games, but this year's start for him is another example of placing WAY too much emphasis on a small body of work, i.e. last season. People had annointed him our #1 or #2 starter here last year, ignoring the fact that he'd struggled for a couple of years prior to 2008, and had only about 1/2 to 2/3 of a solid season under his belt up to that point. My point last year and continuing into this year is that the guy has far too inconsistent of stuff to turn into a #1 star starter anytime soon. His curve is nasty, but is hard for him to locate for multiple game stretches at times. Floyd leaves far too many balls up in the strike zone with a flashing "hit me" sign on them.

If there's a lesson to be learned, it's to not overvalue a three to five month span of good pitching, and then overlook a seven year body of solid work.
    As noted when I debated Al about this guy, there were a couple of things that made his '08 season look better than it really was. One was "17 wins" which was based on getting 6 runs per game run support. The other was a 3.80 ERA despite allowing a ton of unearned runs. Often allowing a lot of UER's means a bunch of earned runs are right around the corner and that's what happened in Sept last yr and first 6 weeks of this year. Gavin had some red flags too - too many HRs allowed (2nd most in AL) and too many BB's, and only an average strikeout rate.
    This isn't to say Gavin didn't make some progress last year. He seemed to mature, improving his BB rate, K rate and even HR rate (from horrendous to merely "very bad" though). So Al had a reasonable point that as a young pitcher he finally was shedding his past and taking a growth step. But again, the growth wasn't as great as some thought, and so far this year he seems to have regressed back to his early Philly days with his inability to throw strikes - a horrific 4.9 BB per 9 IP... Yeah, he throws hard and has a great breaking ball. But you won't last in the majors if you can't find the strike zone any better than that..
    Like you, I think he'll right the ship and start pitching better soon. But he has his liabilities too, and he is no # 1 or # 2 calibre pitcher at this point. He's barely a # 5 pitcher the way he's been going so far. Which is part of the Sox's problem this year - they have a legit # 1/2 punch in Danks and Buehrle, but the rest of the staff has performed like # 5's (and not very good # 5's to boot).
    jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Post by jfraser375 on Tue May 12, 2009 3:39 pm

The jury is still out on Floyd either way. As I mentioned in my other, General Discussions post, the larger problem is starting the season with a rotation that is 40% washed up and 40% technically unproven. The only starter who could be counted on to win 14-17 games with any degree of certainty was Buehrle.

The Sox put an uninspiring team together this year, and we suckers who bought season tickets are paying the price.

Post by Guest on Wed May 13, 2009 7:42 am

jfraser375 wrote:The jury is still out on Floyd either way. As I mentioned in my other, General Discussions post, the larger problem is starting the season with a rotation that is 40% washed up and 40% technically unproven. The only starter who could be counted on to win 14-17 games with any degree of certainty was Buehrle.

The Sox put an uninspiring team together this year, and we suckers who bought season tickets are paying the price.

I split mine, so I am even.
    Stadium Club Bar stands to make a lot of cash off of my friends in my group and on this board.
    Speaking of season tickets, a buddy of mine and I bought a 19 game plan the other day for the Deeeetroit Red Wings which assures us all remaining playoff games for this season.
    Unlike Chicago owners....the Playoff tickets are PAY AS THEY PLAY!!!!
    I have friends over there, and damned well am going to the Game 7 with the Ducks.
    Should Wings win....THE HAWKS COME TO DEEETROIT....can't go wrong...go to some..sell some here....if Wings beat Hawks, have tix to FINALS...If Hawks beat Wings..HAVE TICKETS TO FINALS.
    If my buddy sells one of his Playoff games in the U.C. at face, it covers 1/2 of the Detroit possible playoff bill.
    Economy in DEETROIT is brutal, but this Nation called Canada is across the River and rumor has it they like Hockey.
    By the way, the Red Wings are actually a good team...and no Chairman Reinsdorf in sight to blow it apart.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:32 am