Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Matt Thornton

jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Matt Thornton

Post by jfraser375 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Set a franchise record with his 425th relief appearance today. Man, that's a lot of appearances. And although this guy is a terrible closer, he's been a really good set-up man for this team over the years. The Sox got pretty good value when they traded Joe Borchard away.
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Re: Matt Thornton

Post by TeleFrank on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:42 pm

jfraser375 wrote:Set a franchise record with his 425th relief appearance today. Man, that's a lot of appearances. And although this guy is a terrible closer, he's been a really good set-up man for this team over the years. The Sox got pretty good value when they traded Joe Borchard away.

He still scares me when they bring him in. He's not Jenks scary, but scary just the same.
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:47 pm

TeleFrank wrote:

He still scares me when they bring him in. He's not Jenks scary, but scary just the same.

The of course there's Crain !
    jfraser375
    Cash/Callison Fan Club President

Post by jfraser375 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Frank, they all scare me. I have trouble watching the late innings when the Sox hold a slim lead.

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:33 am

jfraser375 wrote:Frank, they all scare me. I have trouble watching the late innings when the Sox hold a slim lead.

Hawk commented that Goose Gossage had a lot of 3 inning saves. How strong is Addison Reeds arm?
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:20 am

THE KARK wrote:
    jfraser375 wrote:Frank, they all scare me. I have trouble watching the late innings when the Sox hold a slim lead.

Hawk commented that Goose Gossage had a lot of 3 inning saves. How strong is Addison Reeds arm?

I don't think I want Reed going three innings, but I am fine for using him in a jam in the 8th and if he gets out of it, opening the ninth. One problem I am noting is the propensity to let the first hitter or two reach base recently. Not necessarily a good sign for having him come into a game in a jam. I hope he does not become one of those that only pitches well after he gives up a baserunner or two. I rather enjoy three up/three down ninth innings. Much better for my heart.

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    THE KARK wrote:

I don't think I want Reed going three innings, but I am fine for using him in a jam in the 8th and if he gets out of it, opening the ninth. One problem I am noting is the propensity to let the first hitter or two reach base recently. Not necessarily a good sign for having him come into a game in a jam. I hope he does not become one of those that only pitches well after he gives up a baserunner or two. I rather enjoy three up/three down ninth innings. Much better for my heart.

That's what Manuel did with Foulke when he realized how crappy his middle relief was. I don't for a second believe that today's reliever can't handle a 2 inning save. In fact, I bet the way the Sox use their pen, with their top relievers being limited to 60IP a year actually hurts the team as well as the pitcher..
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:49 pm

THE KARK wrote:I don't for a second believe that today's reliever can't handle a 2 inning save. In fact, I bet the way the Sox use their pen, with their top relievers being limited to 60IP a year actually hurts the team as well as the pitcher..

I would agree, Kark. 100 IP should not hurt any of them. And a ten-11 man staff might come back into vogue.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:07 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    THE KARK wrote:I don't for a second believe that today's reliever can't handle a 2 inning save. In fact, I bet the way the Sox use their pen, with their top relievers being limited to 60IP a year actually hurts the team as well as the pitcher..

I would agree, Kark. 100 IP should not hurt any of them. And a ten-11 man staff might come back into vogue.

Especially now when teams can add a 26th man for double headers. In fact, I wonder if because of that, we might start seeing more double headers on the schedule. Union should like it since it gives more players an opportunity, if even only for their maybe once in a lifetime cup of coffee. And a perfect opportunity for a team to try out a prospect. Perhaps especially if the 26th man could be exempted from having that start his FA clock. I think players and teams each would like that. Would let prospects maybe get the call a bit sooner than they otherwise might.

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:24 am

Nomads44 wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:

Especially now when teams can add a 26th man for double headers. In fact, I wonder if because of that, we might start seeing more double headers on the schedule. Union should like it since it gives more players an opportunity, if even only for their maybe once in a lifetime cup of coffee. And a perfect opportunity for a team to try out a prospect. Perhaps especially if the 26th man could be exempted from having that start his FA clock. I think players and teams each would like that. Would let prospects maybe get the call a bit sooner than they otherwise might.

Owners would hate it unless you caould prove to them that it would draw more than twice the typicalk Sunday crowd

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:40 am

That's what Nolan Ryan is trying to do in Texas. How many pitchers on their roster? ????
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:46 am

THE KARK wrote:

Owners would hate it unless you could prove to them that it would draw more than twice the typical Sunday crowd

The greedier ones would do them as day-night. That would be fine with me. One parking fee. An all day at the park to justify a very long drive.

Just saving the second parking fee would make it worthwhile. Tailgating would likely boom between games.

For you that live close by, I can see why you would not like them so much. They were my favorite days growing up. Ballgames from about 1:00 till sometimes after 8:00 on Sunday night. What great memories. (Of course, I got to sleep on the bus or in the car on the way home, but access and drive time was nothing like it is today.)
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:57 am

Chi-kid wrote:I would agree, Kark. 100 IP should not hurt any of them. And a ten-11 man staff might come back into vogue.

That's what Nolan Ryan is trying to do in Texas. How many pitchers on their roster? ????

12 at the moment. But I wonder if Robbie Ross, Yoshinori Tateyama or Koji Uehara are getting enough work to justify the 12th spot.

On the other hand, of course, the Sox ran out of pitchers last night. But a DH with an extra 26th man would help that issue on occasion.

I am not comfortable with the bullpen. Crain and Thornton, for being seasoned vets, seem to each be a box of chocolates. Stewart needs regular work somewhere. I don't mind Quintana and Santiago struggling a bit while they get their feet wet. Jones has been a very pleasant surprise. Reed will have some struggles, but that is to be expected. He is the future there, so let him get his lumps. Ohman is 12th guy even more unreliable than Crain and Thornton.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:55 am